IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Yeah, maybe. 2 things make me question that:

1. His ridiculous non-website http://www.tingiant.com

2. Only ~7500 are buying into this thing, and most of them never heard of him before a few weeks ago

Lol that website is very incomplete considering the guy designed the original Xbox. If you can make a console you should be able to make a website... theoretically?!?! Maybe hes just not had the time lol

Did Rob Wyatt design the Xbox, or was he simply on the team, and at what point was he fired in the development process? I never heard of the guy, so I can't say squat, but Infotarigrams has a vested interest in putting him on a pedestal to try and add any legitimacy to their project. Honestly, his very involvement with it makes me question the veracity of his resume they'd like you to infer great things about. Just seems like more bullshit to me.

• Like 7

Did Rob Wyatt design the Xbox, or was he simply on the team, and at what point was he fired in the development process? I never heard of the guy, so I can't say squat, but Infotarigrams has a vested interest in putting him on a pedestal to try and add any legitimacy to their project. Honestly, his very involvement with it makes me question the veracity of his resume they'd like you to infer great things about. Just seems like more bullshit to me.

Think he was a just team member / designer on the Xbox. Not a lead designer, at least as I understand it.

But I do think that having going thru a development cycle of a new ground up console will help him with the AB development.

This project seems more like putting the pieces together than something like the original Xbox and having to build the prices and then put them together. Of course with MS clout, money and staffing that might have been easier.

I go like the ideal that the AB might be designed and built as well as the original Xbox. That was a nice machine, very well built.

• Like 1

Why get mad at the backers? It's their money. Get mad at Atari SA, if at anyone, for running a sloppy campaign. Or don't get mad at all; just laugh; this is a comedy of errors.

Then again, this is an open forum, & anger is a natural human emotion. Righteous indignation can get old, like anything else, but if you want to stress out that's your choice too.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Now, who's had tacos lately?

ALe1L.jpg

• Like 2

original Xbox. That was a nice machine, very well built.

No, the original XBox was a failure in design, the whole circuit board was flawed. Why do you think there are so many dead XBoxes around?

• Like 4

No, the original XBox was a failure in design, the whole circuit board was flawed. Why do you think there are so many dead XBoxes around?

It was a well built console IMO. Huge number of original units still working today. Which is why fully working models are so cheap today. The thing was a built like a tank.

To be fair to Rob Wyatt, he's not exactly got to deliver the moon on a stick here. It's just the specs of an underwhelming off-the-shelf PC in a custom case, and the only serious technical issue should be with the cooling.

That said, his record when it comes to dealing with stubborn, technically ignorant and penny-pinching management may give cause for some concern, because he's bound to get another large dose of that with Atari.

• Like 5

are there? outside of a early supercap used in place of a equally shitty battery ... over a decade later, and optical disk drives which shit, I cant count how many dead cd-dvd drives I have replaced in my own personal computer since 2001 and I have only ran across 1 xbox drive

point is, I have never met a dead XBOX, and I used to mod them as fast as I could get them (kind of like 2600's for me recently)

now the 360's you dont even want to consider buying unless its one of the slim models, and even then its still a shit design, they just improved thermal dissipation, buy shoving a enormous fan (for a console) on top of the fucker and calling it a day (seriously if the darn thing wasnt a brick I would have used it to replace my broken hair dryer)

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 1

I think its different things to different people. To me its a great looking unit that can possibly play games from across multiple Atari platforms via HDMI. I imagine the ability to play from downloaded ROMs. That is interesting to me.

What drives my interest is a higher build than a sub $100 emulator option. I purchased a NES emulator that was much more expensive than the lower price ones on the market. They all do the same thing but the higher build quality on the one I purchased was worth the extra money to me.

Its all personal preference in the end.

Pre paying is a intersting concept, I have a trip in Jan to Dublin with almost everything prepaid. Well except the stout and whiskey icon_smile.gif if I do not go for whatever reason Im out $1000s, rather its my fault or not.

I do think prepaying is a way of building excitement as well for oneself. Knowing that all I have to do is show up at the airport and Im going to Dublin now is exciting. No if we have the money we will go type of thing.

Im still hopeful the AB comes out, that it is well built and has access to the large catalogue of games on the many Atari consoles and maybe computers. Then Ill look at buying one.

Okay, but here's the difference: with your trip to Dublin, you know that you're getting something for your money. Aeroplanes exist, and you'll fly on one to Dublin. I can vouch for the fact that Dublin exists; I grew up there and have been back a few times since moving to the US. Chances are it'll still be around on your day of departure; on landing, it may be a different story. I'm making no firm guarantees on that one ;)

Recently, I sent a complete stranger $150 via PayPal for a custom-fabricated part that I need for my Jeep. It'll be here next week sometime. I had no problem with doing that because there were other people who had also bought this from him that I could take opinions from, and I knew from their statements that he was going to follow through.

Of the crowdfunding campaigns that I've backed, probably the riskiest was the MST3K reboot. There was no prototype: it was literally, "we need money to make this happen - but here's what we plan to do, and who is involved." On that basis, I took the risk - but, again, evaluated who was involved and the likelihood of the project actually coming to fruition. I've also worked in the film industry and know from experience that productions can get shut down before or even while they're in production and will never see the light of day, so was going in with a clear sense of how my money might just end up evaporating.

With the AtariVCSbollocks, however, nothing from Atari SA gave me any confidence that I should invest in it. The company is run by idiots, and they're idiots who can't even manage their nostalgia-based cash grab sufficiently well enough to stop it being a continuous comedy of errors from the get-go. Whether they actually produce something or not is irrelevant to me: I'm not giving them my money so that they can potentially piss it away, and I'm not giving it to them even if they do bring this thing to market because it doesn't do anything that I need (or necessarily want) a device in that price bracket to do.

Pre-paying is fine when there's a valid chance of getting what you are paying for. Pre-paying when there's a likelihood of your money going into someone else's pocket with no return is not.

• Like 4

I think its different things to different people. To me its a great looking unit that can possibly play games from across multiple Atari platforms via HDMI. I imagine the ability to play from downloaded ROMs. That is interesting to me.

What drives my interest is a higher build than a sub $100 emulator option. I purchased a NES emulator that was much more expensive than the lower price ones on the market. They all do the same thing but the higher build quality on the one I purchased was worth the extra money to me.

Its all personal preference in the end.

Pre paying is a intersting concept, I have a trip in Jan to Dublin with almost everything prepaid. Well except the stout and whiskey :) if I do not go for whatever reason Im out $1000s, rather its my fault or not.

I do think prepaying is a way of building excitement as well for oneself. Knowing that all I have to do is show up at the airport and Im going to Dublin now is exciting. No if we have the money we will go type of thing.

Im still hopeful the AB comes out, that it is well built and has access to the large catalogue of games on the many Atari consoles and maybe computers. Then Ill look at buying one.

You making the trip is on you. You getting a box in your hands is on them. It is a little different. I can understand being excited, but this isn't really a pre-order. They took money so at best it is an investment.

Re: Rob Wyatt as "designer of Xbox," this excellent article by Dean Takahashi has been cited in this thread before.

https://venturebeat.com/2011/11/14/making-of-the-xbox-1/

The big takeaway from that article is that Mr. Wyatt was a peripheral player in the Xbox who contributed little and ultimately got fired from the project before it launched. This is the fig leaf that Nutari™ is trying to use to cover up the fact that they have fuck-all to offer with their non-existent Nutaribawks™.

• Like 3

I'm not a big fan of "I question the timing". Considering Atari was taking a big hit from the Register's second piece and needed some tech legitimacy, well, I question the timing.

Here's a crowdfunded project that pays homage to an 1980s toy in a smart, innovative way, bringing something demonstrably new and interesting to the table.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1928372437/gocube-the-classic-puzzle-reinvented

$120 seems a bit steep for a bluetooth-connected Rubix cube, even if it's guaranteed to be released. o-o;;

I would pay at most $40 for that.

Edited by Lodmot
  • Like 2

https://www.linkedin.com/in/wyattrob

Looks like he was pretty much basically just on the team.

Edited by Pink