IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

The unoriginally titled AtariAge magazine (no relation to this fine site or the official pamphlet of 1980s Atari) has been posted. Mr. Gabrys showing a lot of nerve by putting a on it.

Montgomery Gabrys
6 hours ago
Issue 1 is live of Atari Age Magazine

https://www.scribd.com/document/385170517/Atari-Age-Magazine-July-2018

Im still playing with Scribds formatting so the same link will be updated later this week to adjust pagination without downloading the PDF. But the July issue did go live in July.

Here's the thing so you don't have to register. He didn't save it as a searchable PDF, so it's incompatible with screen readers and the text can't be extracted, but see for yourself, someone is trying really hard. He must really want this to happen.

Compressed from 64MB to 11MB, because this doesn't have to be that large. 385170517-Atari-Age-Magazine-July-2018.compressed.pdf

• Like 5

The unoriginally titled AtariAge magazine (no relation to this fine site or the official pamphlet of 1980s Atari) has been posted. Mr. Gabrys showing a lot of nerve by putting a on it.

"Montgomery Gabrys

6 hours ago

Im still playing with Scribds formatting so the same link will be updated later this week to adjust pagination without downloading the PDF. But the July issue did go live in July."

The space makes all the difference, apparently.

I'd be confused if it wasn't pointless drivel. What part of any of that is supposed to be a magazine? Is that propaganda piece/ad for their indiegogo produced by Atari SA themselves? There's nothing there but an ad. Is that Atari SA's attempt to subvert the use of the term AtariAge to their own propaganda machine? I don't get it, but then again, I could care less.

In other news; got my Dreamcade Replay. That was the only kickstarter I ever backed and ever will, and that was simply to support a retro gaming outfit that Atari SA chose to screw with. With well managed expectations at the end of the day, I anticipated delivery of a $100 Windows mini PC. With what began as a "console" that looked like a mini 2600 (control ports, switches and all) and the promise of a turn key, gaming-optimized retro console experience, guess what. I got a $100 Windows mini PC with some emulators pre-installed. And these guys always had experience, a solid plan, and a working prototype every step of the way.

Atari is promising a $300 Linux PC with no experience, no prototype, and no clue by all accounts. I wonder how that will turn out.

• Like 2

Here's the thing so you don't have to register. He didn't save it as a searchable PDF, so it's incompatible with screen readers and the text can't be extracted, but see for yourself, someone is trying really hard. He must really want this to happen.

Compressed from 64MB to 11MB, because this doesn't have to be that large. attachicon.gif385170517-Atari-Age-Magazine-July-2018.compressed.pdf

I grabbed it so you don't have to register, click above to download the 11MB version. He doesn't respect copyrights so I won't either. I apologize if I am inadvertently giving this more exposure than it deserves.

I'd be confused if it wasn't pointless drivel. What part of any of that is supposed to be a magazine? Is that propaganda piece/ad for their indiegogo produced by Atari SA themselves? There's nothing there but an ad. Is that Atari SA's attempt to subvert the use of the term AtariAge to their own propaganda machine? I don't get it, but then again, I could care less.

I agree, he has some design chops, but the writing is only persuasive to the existing audience. He's attempting a "punchy" advertising tone, which I suppose he achieves, but once again, "Atari's" marketing promises exceed their engineering and delivery competence. If he's using this as a portfolio booster to get other work, he probably should have chosen different material.

Heh. Pretty much the fluff piece that was expected. Also no respect for copyrights (Iron Giant pics, lifting much of the Tin Giant interview). I do like the layout, though.

It would be amusing to construct a similar document from our many shitposts here -- I know we have more material to work with than he does. I think most of his Linux tips are repurposed from elsewhere and anything specific to AtariBox is pure speculation. Where did Atari ever say they'd use Simon Listens? I have a feeling this will age badly, but hey! More AtariBox news!

• Like 3

Holy shit, is there a lot of copyright infringement in that magvertisment (adverzine?)!

I have a sneaking suspicion that a C&D will be sent to Atariage in the coming weeks. I really, really think fred cheesehead will do this.

• Like 5

We'll probably never know for sure, but I think it more likely he's a true believer in the magic of Atari®. See https://www.reddit.com/r/AtariVCS/comments/8q5yxb/atari_age_returns_finishing_layout_and_articles/

Wow. What a toolhead.

jindofox

As someone who remembers the real AtariAge magazine (whose logo you have ripped off) and someone who thinks little of the so-called "VCS" (a content-free, one-off, novelty collectible that is cashing in on an old brand), this makes me sad. I wish you would choose a different, more original title.

The only AtariAge that matters in 2018 is the awesome www.atariage.com

Save
level 2
TheRealGEOTUS
3 points·1 month ago·edited 1 month ago

Atariage dot com has devoted zero content, coverage or effort to the new VCS.

Atari Age Magazine will be devoted to new Atari enthusiasts and getting the most out of the VCS.

Save
level 3
jindofox
1 point·1 month ago

Bullshit. There's a robust discussion thread here:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/266480-new-atari-console-that-ataribox/

Save
level 4
3 points·1 month ago·edited 1 month ago

"Robust" is not the term I would use.

a "range of about the same 4~5 guys constantly shitposting and meme-wannabe" would suit better. Anyone approaching to "their" thread without sharing their circlejerking belief is seen as enemy. Haters are fanboy at mirror: they can claim to directly opposite... because they have the same shape, form and mindset.

Moderators at Atariage.com are keeping that obvious shit-posting/troll thread because they enjoy the clicks and attention. It's not the prime mark of a website in good hands,

Save
level 5
0 points·1 month ago
Save
level 6
2 points·1 month ago

No, presuming is rarely a good thing; you see now?

Save
level 4
1 point·1 month ago·edited 1 month ago

Thanks for the link - regrettably it's buried deep within the site and nowhere is the VCS represented on their front page, topics or primary links. A new product deserves more. That's what we intend to do. Atari Age Magazine will support new buyers, users and enthusiasts. Looking at that thread, AtariAge Dot-Com seems focused on the opposite. It's obvious that the dot-com will not support Atari or their customers in the future so they aren't relevant.

Save
level 5
-1 points·1 month ago

Oh, okay. The real AtariAge will carry on with its 45,000 members. Have fun with your PDF magazine.

Save
level 6

You don't have to be a dick.

Save
level 7
1 point·1 month ago·edited 1 month ago

(Sounds like a 'fun' little group don't they?)

Remember when Atari was about fun? That's what Atari Age Magazine is about, and what people are buying with the VCS. Customizable fun. Fun without manufacturer's approval. It's been so long since people were allowed to do what they want with tech, they've forgotten how much fun it can be.

Pretty funny actually.

The biggest challenge at the magazine is maintaining focus at the outset. We've been having too much fun coming up with story ideas we've themed at least 6 covers worth of subjects to feature & research - and are trying to restrain ourselves for when Atari themselves drops more news.

Fun!

Edited by Inky

Some good art in there, then there's this:

attachicon.gifUntitled.png

That looks like something someone here would come up with as a joke. Any caption ideas?

That's deserving of a photoshop, but I can't do one at work.

replace the fire hydrant with an atari logo urinal.

• Like 2

Holy shit, is there a lot of copyright infringement in that magvertisment (adverzine?)!

I have a sneaking suspicion that a C&D will be sent to Atariage in the coming weeks. I really, really think fred cheesehead will do this.

Point: Yeah, this muddies the water and makes it unclear what's official and what's fan fiction. "Atari" could be taking money from its backers for something similar -- though they'd probably be more into a collectible artifact.

Counterpoint: Is Fred paying that much attention to this? I'm thinking not. I'll put my taco on him being replaced as head of Atari SA before that happens.

• Like 4

I'd be confused if it wasn't pointless drivel. What part of any of that is supposed to be a magazine? Is that propaganda piece/ad for their indiegogo produced by Atari SA themselves? There's nothing there but an ad. Is that Atari SA's attempt to subvert the use of the term AtariAge to their own propaganda machine?

Wasn't the original AtariAge a catalog/ad magazine?

It would be amusing to construct a similar document from our many shitposts here -- I know we have more material to work with than he does.

There's a 2600 papercraft business card holder that could be updated for a DIY project. Also, maybe Nathan Strum's AVCS display as an advertiser. lol. If only I had magazine skills ...

Some good art in there, then there's this:

attachicon.gifUntitled.png

That looks like something someone here would come up with as a joke. Any caption ideas?

While there could be a GettyImages-type version out there, he likely pilfered that picture off the innernets too. Here's one that may be the original. Someone else's Flickr account explains the history:

Cambridge: MIT - Stata Center - Stata Building - Fire Hydrant Water Fountain

Former MIT President Jerome Wiesner (1971-1980) coined this colorful description of the MIT educational experience: "Getting an education at MIT is like taking a drink from a fire hose." A group of hackers took Wiesner's quote to hear in 1991 when they turned a fire hydrant into a working drinking fountain in front of the largest lecture hall on campus, 26-100.

• Like 5

Yeah, and my reference was that those SPARCstation 2, 5, 10, 20 etc are known as pizza boxes due to their shape and size. While there were other manufacturers of workstations of similar dimensions, I believe Sun exclusively are known for the pizza boxes. Speaking of which, I wonder how Oracle is doing these days. Perhaps they'd be interested in a joint venture video games console, given it is programmed in Java? It would at least suffice for turn based games.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 2

Funny these weenies taking issue with anyone openly mocking a campaign that begs to be mocked due to the false starts, outright lies, con jobs and incompetence, but blatant thieving of other people's copyrighted work to promote such a questionable campaign, that's A-okay. I guess nostalgia glasses and hipster funk make these goobers blind to irony.

https://www.slashfilm.com/the-iron-giant-maquette/

• Like 4

Compressed from 64MB to 11MB, because this doesn't have to be that large. attachicon.gif385170517-Atari-Age-Magazine-July-2018.compressed.pdf

"Magazine"? It's an oversized brochure.

• Like 8

"Montgomery Gabrys

6 hours ago

Im still playing with Scribds formatting so the same link will be updated later this week to adjust pagination without downloading the PDF. But the July issue did go live in July."

Why does page 5 show a fold in the center? Did he scan another publications foldout for this monstrosity ???

• Like 3