IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Prototypes are fine, but please understand we've all been down this road many times now. Atari is standing on the shoulders of giants like Mike Kennedy, Feargal Mac, and P.T. Barnum. Besides, these totally look like renders.

They posted another picture on their website that looks a little more credible:

21984544_130551821008162_623375463909163

• Like 2

That was my initial call too when it was announced. SteamOS is Linux-based but I don't know if it allows other third-party gateways or stores. I'm not sure if that's what Atari meant ... that it'll just run things downloaded from Steam or if it also allows downloads from other platforms.

I have SteamOS installed. You can customize it and run non-steam games. But the Steam interface is the primary interface when you boot it up, so using other stores with it would work, but be awkward. Atari would need to customize it more if SteamOs was their base OS.

• Like 1

Oh damn.. you got me.. I'm a fanboy.

And I have worked as an Online Community Manager for nearly 20 years. With companies like Acclaim Games and Bioware. So yes, I claim to know a little about building online communities.

Did I offer to help with Gameband, yes. Does that mean I might also be aware of AtariBox, yes.

I'm legally limited in what I can say... but assure you I am not getting paid or compensated in any way to say or do anything on behalf of GameBand or AtariBox. Edit: or Atari its subsidies, partners, etc.. I just volunteered to help.

Take that as you may...

Thanks, fanboy! ;)

Personally, I think you're backing the wrong horse ... but then again, I've gotten all excited about the AtGames Flashback toys, which aren't for everyone either and have had their fair share of setbacks and cockups.

Your direct, straightforward, and rapid answer really took the venom out of my pissy Buzzfeed style post. :lolblue:

• Like 1

Good to finally see some details on this mystery box. I am signed up to get emails about the Atari box and have previously gotten emails but for some reason never got an email about the latest news. Did others get an email on this latest news or was this information just from the articles linked here since yesterday? Has Atari not officially sent out an email since they don't even have this news posted on the Atarbox website? Just want asking because I want to make sure that I am not missing out on getting new on the new console and when it will be available for pre-order.

I received an email. Technically, it's not a pre-order. As with any crowd funding campaign, you're giving them money to fund the idea with the promise, but not guarantee, that you'll get the package tier you selected at roughly the time stated (but, in most cases, if there is in fact even a delivery, probably much later). I've personally contributed to dozens of crowd funding campaigns and have been screwed out of my money either by failure to deliver or by under delivery (product not up to snuff) maybe 10% of the time. Probably more than 50% of the ones that have delivered have missed the target dates, some by years. As you might expect, that has made me considerably more cautious with the projects that I choose to support.

• Like 2

I received an email. Technically, it's not a pre-order. As with any crowd funding campaign, you're giving them money to fund the idea with the promise, but not guarantee, that you'll get the package tier you selected at roughly the time stated (but, in most cases, if there is in fact even a delivery, probably much later). I've personally contributed to dozens of crowd funding campaigns and have been screwed out of my money either by failure to deliver or by under delivery (product not up to snuff) maybe 10% of the time. Probably more than 50% of the ones that have delivered have missed the target dates, some by years. As you might expect, that has made me considerably more cautious with the projects that I choose to support.

Thanks for the reply. I do know that it isn't a pre-order but just chose those words. I would still hope to further get email updates on further development so that I can pledge funding it I decide they have made a compelling enough offer that I would like to contribute to.

Something is very wrong with their mail notifation system. For some reason a number of people who subed to it are not getting emails - including myself

I got the first email they sent out, but none of the others that came later incuding this latest one.

Edited by vcoleiro1
  • Like 2

^ Bill beat me to it. Kickstarter is not a store, and IndieGogo even less so, and backing/support does not constitute a "pre-order."

I'm still waiting for this asshole, the very first Kickstarter I backed, $99 down the drain. It's a speaker hat, for your iPhone 4, from 2011! With a 30-pin connector and a cool transparent design. Last update was more than 2 years ago.

I'm not saying Atari is going to take the money and run like Hern Kim did, but when backing a crowdfunding campaign, there's not much recourse if they do. What do they have to lose, besides their old shred of a reputation?

God I hope Tempest 4000 washes away some of this bitter old salt I taste every time I think about Atari!

• Like 1

I've been using my own version of the AtariBox and I didn't even know it.

It's small and quiet, has AMD Radeon chipset, it plays retro games (emulators, Atari Vault, etc) and other games. It came with Linux but I have installed Win 7.

I think the AtariBox will be something similar in a fancy case just with newer, but still low-end PC hardware.

post-27767-0-51892600-1506521124_thumb.jpg

My AtariBox has an advantage that it can play real Atari games. It has an Atari 2600 connected to it via a cheap analog USB TV tuner.

• Like 6

Amstari, what is that and how old is it? Acer has a new thing called Revo coming, aimed at being a media center, but it looks like EVE from WALL-E, not a wifi router or Discman like your thing.

They have so many products, it's hard to find info on older ones. I know of the Vivo minis, but they look different.

Does it have a fan?

What I would like to see from the Ataribox:

See my reply to the post in the other Ataribox thread at http://atariage.com/forums/topic/266465-ataribox/page-17?do=findComment&comment=3856055

What I would like to see from the Ataribox is as follow

• Classing Atari consoles in emulation so that it is easy to play any of their old titles for all the different consoles without the need to own every console
  • Allow homebrew titles to be published to the console
  • Modern 2D games. The specs on this might not be capable of high 3D games but would be more than sufficient for groundbreaking 2D titles. 2D is very compelling and has been making a come back over the past few years.
Do these 3 things and Ataribox might actually be successful

Amstari, what is that and how old is it? Acer has a new thing called Revo coming, aimed at being a media center, but it looks like EVE from WALL-E, not a wifi router or Discman like your thing.

They have so many products, it's hard to find info on older ones. I know of the Vivo minis, but they look different.

Does it have a fan?

Revo R70, it's about 4 years old but it is still good as a media centre, emulator and for less demanding games.

It has a fan but I can't hear it unless I'm really close.

It works great as an emulator for arcade games, 8-bit and 16-bit consoles.

• Like 2

Revo R70, it's about 4 years old but it is still good as a media centre, emulator and for less demanding games.

It has a fan but I can't hear it unless I'm really close.

It works great as an emulator for arcade games, 8-bit and 16-bit consoles.

Ah, it's in the Revo line after all. I'm sorta-kinda keeping an eye on the Revo Cube, which seems like the same kind of thing a few years later. More power than a Raspberry Pi but smaller than a big-ol' PC, just like what it seems Atari wants to deliver.

Oh damn.. you got me.. I'm a fanboy.

And I have worked as an Online Community Manager for nearly 20 years. With companies like Acclaim Games and Bioware. So yes, I claim to know a little about building online communities.

Did I offer to help with Gameband, yes. Does that mean I might also be aware of AtariBox, yes.

I'm legally limited in what I can say... but assure you I am not getting paid or compensated in any way to say or do anything on behalf of GameBand or AtariBox. Edit: or Atari its subsidies, partners, etc.. I just volunteered to help.

Take that as you may...

Not just a shill, but a shill with a history behind him. Great.

-Thom

• Like 1

Personally, what struck me the most was this statement, “With Ataribox, we wanted to create an open system, a killer product where people can game, stream and browse with as much freedom as possible. Atari games and content will be available as well as games and content from other providers." It seems to me that the Ataribox is aimed more at the AppleTV and Nvidia Shield TV than the PS4, Xbox One, and/or Nintendo Switch. It will be interesting to see how they bring gaming (retro and/or new) along with streaming and browsing.

Thanks, fanboy! ;)

Personally, I think you're backing the wrong horse ... but then again, I've gotten all excited about the AtGames Flashback toys, which aren't for everyone either and have had their fair share of setbacks and cockups.

Your direct, straightforward, and rapid answer really took the venom out of my pissy Buzzfeed style post. :lolblue:

No worries. I didn’t think your response was all that pissy. You didn’t try to dox me or threaten to send people to my house… I've had that happen. And I almost got an FB2 since it could be modded for carts.

The 2600 and specifically Imagic's Fathom, hold very dear places in my life... so my passion comes from that. I want GameBand and AtariBox to succeed, and I'm willing to help get them there.

• Like 1

They posted another picture on their website that looks a little more credible:

21984544_130551821008162_623375463909163

Huh. Well I will fully concede that I was wrong, it was a real picture. Looks pretty sharp, too. Now we just need a pic of some of the guts so we can see what's powering it...

The rate of information seems to be ticking up a little bit, so hopefully they launch the indiegogo with more information sooner rather than later. It would just be dumb to keep letting the buzz peak and fall over and over again. But just the fact that they've got a case and at least a design for the gui is more than I figured they had at this point.

Good on you, Atari. Small steps.

and the naivete continues, unabated, despite evidence being released that shows the shady nature of this whole project. Unbelievable.

-Thom

Woah, slow down a sec. Never once said I was going to back it, I don't remotely plan on it. Never even said it wasn't a scam. I just said that I thought it was a prerendered image and doubted they had a case ready, but apparently they do. No need to get so defensive.