IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

That is f*cking crazy! :-o

Ok i mostly just lurk here but i need to chime in about how absolutely hilarious it is that someone wants to make an Atari VCS Supercomputer

Also which comes out first? Phillips CD-i Classic or the Atari VCS???

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/09/random_fans_ask_for_a_philips_cd-i_classic_philips_says_we_will_try_our_best

My money is on Phillips on this one. At least they are a company capable of doing it - and yes i know that they literally never will (Just like Atari)

A lecturer once told me that the only thing super about supercomputers is the price.

Mind you, even that's not really true any more. You can make a supercomputer out of anything that can be networked. People have even made Raspberry Pi based supercomputers for the price of a high-end desktop.

So yeah, you probably could make one out of the Atari VCS. It'd have to exist first, of course, and I doubt there'd be any use for it, but yeah.

My money is on Phillips on this one. At least they are a company capable of doing it - and yes i know that they literally never will (Just like Atari)

Philips is a much larger company then Nintendo. Theyalong with other companies like Samsung, Apple, and Google could potentially could make a legit console to compete with PlayStation and Xbox if they wanted (Though the odds of it being successful would be quite slim) And i'm going to go out on a limb and say theres a reason why none of them have even bothered, or have ever shown any interest, as it'd be borderline impossible and a ridiculous uphill climb for any of them to break into the industry. Theres a reason it's just Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony and theres a reason it will remain that way for the foreseeable future. Companies like Samsung and Philips are smart enough to know this, and hence why they haven't tried, and probably never will.

I know when most people see Philips they think they just produce a handful of cheap electronic junk you see at places like Walmart, but pay attention next time your in or at a hospital, and look at all the equipment. You'll see a lot of it (or maybe just about all of it) will have Philips name on it. That is their bread & butter and their main field of business, they have a huge stronghold on that industry, just like Sony and Microsoft and Nintendo do on the video game industry, and Philips has it cornered pretty well where it'd be very hard, if not borderline impossible, for any other company to come in and legitimately compete with them.

Edited by Pink
  • Like 3

Yeah, a CDi Mini makes no sense at all, and surely the idea would get canned as soon as it reached someone at Philips with a functioning brain and a knowledge of the system's history. They barely managed to shift a million units and it has next to no memorable games, certainly when you're looking at exclusive ones that are memorable for the right reasons.

Not that the VCS makes any sense either, with the Flashback 8 already covering the nostalgia market for the 2600, but with Atari having taken the money it's actually in their interest to deliver something eventually.

Yeah, a CDi Mini makes no sense at all, and surely the idea would get canned as soon as it reached someone at Philips with a functioning brain and a knowledge of the system's history. They barely managed to shift a million units and it has next to no memorable games, certainly when you're looking at exclusive ones that are memorable for the right reasons.

Not that the VCS makes any sense either, with the Flashback 8 already covering the nostalgia market for the 2600, but with Atari having taken the money it's actually in their interest to deliver something eventually.

The weird thing is that if Philips did actually release a mini-CDi... I'd probably buy one. The sole draw to me is the sheer, "what the hell were they thinking" factor behind the idea.

But they're not going to do that, so no need to break out the chequebook ;)

• Like 4

Some of you guys are a literal, trusting bunch, aren't you?

That Ataribox might come to pass, but CD-I isn't coming back.

If Sega came out with a kickstarted console, I'd throw like up to a thousand dollars at it. Even if you pooped on my head, I would not change my mind about it.

Stealing!

I also notice that Wyoming is in the Taco Tuesday zone. This is significant because Taco John's - the company who coined the phrase "Taco Tuesday," and also sues any restaurant that uses it - is based in Wyoming.

Edited by Inky
  • Like 2