IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Wow.

This of course brings up the inevitable question - who was the first person so completely desperate for something resembling coffee, that they thought this would be a good idea?

People used to think tomatoes were poisonous. It was a brave person who first ate a lobster. Making a drink from cat scat seems EXACTLY as courageous -- no more, no less -- than blindly sending $300 to "Atari" and hoping for the best.

Hey lookit, you can pay a lot of money to get it with a taco!

https://www.themanual.com/food-and-drink/25000-taco/

The taco is a staple of Mexican food because it’s flavorful, requires little prep, and can be filled with just about anything. They’re also typically affordable morsels of excellence.

A luxury resort in Mexico decided to take the taco tradition to the complete opposite end of the spectrum.

The Grand Velas Los Cabos Resort is now home to a (the?) $25,000 taco thanks to the Executive Chef of the property – Chef Juan Licerio Alcala.

This single taco starts with a gold-flecked corn tortilla, then is filled with Almas Belgua caviar, Kobe beef, black truffled brie, and langoustine lobster. The taco is completed with an over-the-top salsa featuring dried Morita chiles, Ley .925 tequila, and rare civet coffee, which is made with partially-digested coffee berries from wild civet cats. The entire concoction is then sprinkled with just a bit more gold flake for good measure. As far as we know, it’s the world’s most expensive taco.

Is it a coincidence that $25,000 is the exact amount of Atari's Nasdaq fees?

• Like 4

I'm thinking this is the most likely. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak

Tried that; wasn't impressed. However, it was a gift to my parents and they waited months to try the coffee; admittedly it wasn't at its freshest point.

Still, with all the tasty flavors of coffee in the world I'm pretty happy with ones not picked out of cat poo.

Kopi Luwak, the biggest nothingburger in Coffee. (at least Kona has a distinctive taste)

Those of us who roast coffee know very well that the "process" that produces this coffee does absolutely nothing for its flavor...but hey... MARKETING! :)

(actually, for those who want to have a top shelf coffee, this is what I'm roasting atm:)

https://www.sweetmarias.com/ethiopia-dry-process-shakiso-kayon-2018.html :)

-Thom

Edited by tschak909
  • Like 4

Let me, for the moment, assume that Atari actually intends to make good on this campaign.

If they plan on shipping in Spring 2019, let's be as generous as possible and set that deadline for June 1, 2019.

That means they need to have the product warehouses and ready to ship by May 25.

That means the product has to ship domestically by May 20.

That means it has to be released from customs by May 19.

Which means it has to arrive at the border from

China sometime around May 10, as several days to a week delay is not uncommon.

Which means it has to ship FROM China no later than March 1.

Which means the raw product has to be packaged by April 20.

Which means those suckers need to roll off the assembly line by April 19.

Which means the fabrication has to be arranged by early April.

Which means the design has to be set in stone by mid March.

Which means all weaseling and waffling has to be done by early March.

Which means testing has to be done by late February.

Which means a production-worthy prototype has to be ready by mid-February.

Which means they need a solid design ready by the beginning of February.

...... pardon the long post, but it serves my point. EVEN IF ATARI HAS THE BEST GOALS AND IF THINGS GO WELL, which they don't and they won't, Atari now has essentially three months to go from "Dev board in plywood heaven" to "This is what we're making".

Given their extremely slow progress from a tender to an actual selection of interns hardware, I find the idea of them succeeding with such a short timeline to be... unrealistic.

• Like 10

They could make it all good by giving all backers a voucher for a Nintendo Switch with Atari Flashback and maybe a custom T-shirt and/or that crapbox of pins. Done. Instant access to 1300 games. Face saved. Backers can get their "open linux" on their own hardware, they don't need "Atari." Tempest 4000 is already out on real systems and is reviewing well. They'll never do this, they'll ride this bomb to the end, but is anyone honestly expecting anything good to come out of this?

• Like 1

Let me, for the moment, assume that Atari actually intends to make good on this campaign.

If they plan on shipping in Spring 2019, let's be as generous as possible and set that deadline for June 1, 2019.

That means they need to have the product warehouses and ready to ship by May 25.

[snip]

...... pardon the long post, but it serves my point. EVEN IF ATARI HAS THE BEST GOALS AND IF THINGS GO WELL, which they don't and they won't, Atari now has essentially three months to go from "Dev board in plywood heaven" to "This is what we're making".

That's a good post, but it heavily implies that this is somehow expected to be a final, mass-market, retail product. Atari has no intention of bringing this to market themselves. They intend to deliver their "Pre-Orders" in Q2 2019 (which is up to them to define), but their stated goals are to license this to someone else to actually take it to market. That's nebulously listed as "Mid 2019", but all of this completely noncommittal. Note the * at the bottom of their schedule:

post-2641-0-97244500-1541001095_thumb.jpg

So all they really need to do to meet their goals, is cobble together something that works and can be built in a limited run cheaply enough to just get it out the door and fulfill their 7000 or so "pre-orders". Warehouses not required. A small garage will do.

• Like 6

Isn't that indication he's suing Atari SA's paper company behind the Ataribox, er VCS as opposed to Gameband, which was his paper company he bilked people with?

If true, and it looks to be so, he's either suing about the license they retracted on his GameBand fiasco, suing over the terms of his dismissal from the Ataribox fiasco, or suing about rights to some element of the forthcoming Ataribox, er VCS fiasco.

In any event, it spells plenty of delays and further clusterf#@kery on the Atari VCS crowdfunder project. Their odds of delivering just went way, way down.

Edited by JBerel
  • Like 2

Whoops, you're right. I corrected my mistake. Atari GameBOX not GameBAND. It seems to be a contract dispute and a countersuit since 4 parties are named (same two parties in opposite directions.

The "diversity action" seems like it refers to people of different national citizenships (Feargal?) and it looks like he is in pursuit of close to a million dollars.

Dollar Demand has been modified to $977000

I am almost tempted to sign up for Pacer to read more, but I don't want to spend any money towards that end.

AtariBox LLC last posted IndieGogo updates on August 29, 2018. IGG expects campaigns to post updates at least monthly. Perhaps we should consider these to be their September and October 2018 updates.

Friday, September 28, 2018 21 MEMO ENDORSEMENT on re:20 Letter filed by Feargal Mac Conuladh. ENDORSEMENT: Plaintiff's motion is GRANTED. The Initial Pretrial Conference is ADJOURNED to Thursday, November 8, 2018, at 2:00 p.m. The deadline to file the proposed civil case management plan is extended to Thursday, November 1, 2018. (Initial Conference set for 11/8/2018 at 02:00 PM before Magistrate Judge Sarah Netburn.) (Signed by Magistrate Judge Sarah Netburn on 9/28/2018) (ras)

Thursday, September 27, 2018 20 LETTER addressed to Magistrate Judge Sarah Netburn from Richard Mooney dated 09/27/2018 re: Unopposed Request for Adjournment of IPTC. Document filed by Feargal Mac Conuladh.(Mooney, Richard)

Thursday, September 20, 2018 19 INITIAL PRETRIAL CONFERENCE ORDER: An Initial Pretrial Conference pursuant to Rule 16 is scheduled for Thursday, October 4, 2018, at 3:30 p.m. in Courtroom 219, Thurgood Marshall Courthouse, 40 Foley Square, New York, New York. (Initial Conference set for 10/4/2018 at 03:30 PM in Courtroom 219, 40 Centre Street, New York, NY 10007 before Magistrate Judge Sarah Netburn.) (Signed by Magistrate Judge Sarah Netburn on 9/20/2018) (ras)

Tuesday, September 18, 2018 18 CONSENT TO JURISDICTION BY A US MAGISTRATE JUDGE by Atari Gamebox LLC, Feargal Mac Conuladh. (Case No Longer Referred to Magistrate Judge) CASE ASSIGNED to Magistrate Judge Sarah Netburn. (Signed by Judge Analisa Torres on 9/18/2018) (cf)

Tuesday, September 11, 2018 17 ORDER: Accordingly, the initial pretrial conference scheduled for September 17, 2018, is ADJOURNED sine die. After the matter has been referred, the parties shall contact Judge Netburn to arrange an initial pretrial conference. (As further set forth in this Order.) (Signed by Judge Analisa Torres on 9/11/2018) (cf)

Monday, September 10, 2018 16 FIRST LETTER addressed to Judge Analisa Torres from Richard Mooney dated 09/10/2018 re: Basis for Diversity Jurisdiction. Document filed by Feargal Mac Conuladh.(Mooney, Richard) 15 JOINT LETTER addressed to Judge Analisa Torres from Richard Mooney dated 09/10/2018 re: Initial Pretrial Conference. Document filed by Feargal Mac Conuladh.(Mooney, Richard)

• Like 2

I got an Atari box too today, courtesy of the post office! Much better then Nutari's box.

post-42460-0-55637300-1541022625_thumb.jpg

The inside lies a real Atari VCS (not that abomination on Indiegogo with the same name) with a few extra goodies, Star Wars The Empire Strikes Back and Star Wars Jedi Arena cartridges! And it's in fantastic & pristine condition!

The Vader is my favorite out of all the various Atari 2600 console revisions!

post-42460-0-28930600-1541022671_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pink
  • Like 4

Meanwhile, back on Indiegogo...

* Dates and schedules are subject to change due to unforeseen circumstances.

What unforeseen circumstances do you foresee delaying the Ataribox?

• Didn't realize moms were now watching Hulu.
  • Were still using Feargal's design. Just now realized it was a solid lump of plastic.
  • Still waiting for Gameband integration.
  • Distracted when someone on the team found a way to wirelessly send "fart" noises to everyone's SpeakerHats.
  • Couldn't find enough surplus Ouya's on eBay.
  • Nobody on the team actually knows how to program video games.
  • Nobody on the team actually knows how to play video games.
  • Nobody on the team actually knows how to plug in a video game.
  • Mike Kennedy still hasn't returned our phone calls.
  • Even we're tired of Centipede by now.
  • Ran out of IPs to make new fake videos of.
  • IKEA repossessed our furniture.
  • Ran out of taco sauce.
  • We still have absolutely no idea what we're doing.
  • Like 17