IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Bwahahaha.......

thumbnail-deaf450c2d4183b9309b493f6a7b20

Anyways, as I look just above the comment box and see “Estimated delivery July 2019”, with the latest leaks of the other 2 big name systems getting boos for price and other reasons; Atari has the window leading to the floor. They need to premiere their commercial on a big event, Wrestlemania, Super Bowl, or something that level. Game of Thrones would be another key spot. I consider it to be a little bit of mercy to hold minimal updates until Springtime of 2019, otherwise I would be daydreaming.

gallery_60562_2139_1452927.gif

• Like 6

A 30-second Super Bowl ad costs $5.1-5.3 million.

That's just the cost to air it. Actually producing it can cost even more, depending on how elaborate they are, celebrities who are in it, etc.

Based on the videos Atari has posted to date, their production costs for a major commercial could skyrocket to as high as $25, maybe even $30.

Not million. Just dollars.

Edited by Nathan Strum
  • Like 6

It doesn't so much seem to be a case of, "I want to believe" as it does one of, "I want to be deluded."

Or in Andy's case, "I want to enable and support those who would defraud me."

post-2410-0-04110900-1548695959.jpg

I mean, I GUESS that's what they could have meant. They were far from clear, of course -- and everything is weasel-worded with asterisks.

But if they really meant "not from Atari to the customer, but ratherr <sic> the factory to Atari," then what is meant by "Pre-Orders Arrive?" There's still no indication they've moved beyond my big red arrow, as posted "many many months ago."

post-2410-0-77248300-1545483848_thumb.jp

Then again, who really cares what this Dubs wannabe thinks?

post-2410-0-16643300-1548696266.jpg

• Like 5

Is it time to buy stock yet?

Indubitably, and while you are at it, buy some stock in Sears, then Atari can become a partner OEM and supply Sears with the Sears branded VCS again, this will bring in much needed foot traffic, saving Eddie Lampert and putting Atari back on tract to becoming the undisputed Videogame Goliath it one was via Synergy, essentially killing two stones with one bird.

• Like 7

I love how the pigeons always fall back on the excuse of "They just have poor communication." I've heard that exact line with all the failed Retro consoles.

How is that an argument? Am I supposed to believe a company can and will produce a viable console if they can't operate a twitter account?

• Like 6

Didn't Atari say they were croudunding to increase communication with fans/customers?

I know that Michael Arzt was quoted as saying this, but I don't know what the fsck he thinks he means.

Eurogamer: Does that mean you're no longer crowdfunding this?

Michael Arzt: I didn't say that! But the thing to understand about our approach to crowdfunding is that - it's not really so much crowdfunding as it is... there's a lot of ways to use crowdfunding. We're looking at this as an opportunity. It's about fan service, and it's about community. Taking a crowdfunding approach - the very first one, it's this wooden [box], it's going to be special, it's going to be about catering to our biggest, most nostalgic fans, and giving them an opportunity to give us feedback on this as we're building it, before it's too late and are locked and baked. And there's a lot of things we're not sure about that the crowdfunding process will give us an opportunity to do.

But it will also tell us if we have something - all this chatter, news and excitement, if people are willing to start pre-ordering it, that will tell us a lot, right? It's moving forward - we could cancel the crowdfunding idea and still be moving forward, but right now we think it can benefit us.

We are not Microsoft or Sony, where we have the same kind of research capabilities and previous products that have been around for years. This is, in a lot of ways, a greenfield project, where we're starting from scratch. Having that engagement with the community and the fans is going to be super valuable to answering the questions that we still have about it.

We've got a lot of research that we've done, and a lot of calculated hunches that we've put forward in the way we're thinking about it, but the fans will tell us if those things are making sense or not. That's really, for this project - I can't speak to all crowdfunding [campaigns] - but that's what we want this one to do for us, to give us a dialogue with fans. And yeah, it's partly a proof of concept, but ultimately, what are we building? The guts of it - to be candid - it's a good laptop that has no keyboard and no screen. What we're doing with the software, and we're doing with the other stuff, that's the special stuff that Atari brings to it, but it's an attractive piece of consumer electronics that structurally is kinda straightforward.

I would be interested in knowing to what extent "Atari" considers their $3M take a success. It's a great number by amateur crowdfunding standards, but pretty pisspoor for mainstream videogame hardware. Arzt seems to have gone underground since his latest press outings. His Twitter still says he's looking for new opportunities, with zero tweets and a 10-year-old photograph.

• Like 4

Dadgummit, Flojomojo made me get off my virtual duff and do the hard task of searching. Gosh!

I guess I was thinking of this from their IGG page (emphasis, mine):

WHY LAUNCH ATARI VCS PRE-ORDERS ON A CROWDFUND PLATFORM?

Atari enjoyed a market-leading and pioneering position in console, arcade and home video gaming throughout the 1980s and 1990s.

What hasn’t changed and still lives on today is the enduring passion of countless gaming fans for the brand and its products. Today’s Atari is a progressive company made up of hardcore Atari fans like so many of you. The all-new Atari VCS project has been ideated, created, and developed by Atari to capture the same spirit, heritage, and DNA of the original. It is also well-funded; but we want and need to connect with new fans while having a dialog with all of you as we continue to develop this exciting new Atari device.

Community is the one word that’s stayed on our whiteboard for months. You, the community, are what keeps our brand and its legendary lineup of games and hardware alive. We want to recapture the energy and transformative excitement that the original Atari 2600™ brought to life in thousands of living rooms but do it with a completely new Atari Connected Device and offer new digital entertainment experiences.
This is where the Indiegogo campaign comes in.

Atari VCS team seeks to work closely with the Atari fan community and gaming industry to prove to the world that the all-new Atari VCS has what it takes to go from “interesting” to “epic!” The Indiegogo partnership helps us to reach out to and connect with highly-engaged community members and is a perfect vehicle to directly involve both existing and new Atari fans.[

This project is a dynamic and evolving and this crowdfunding strategy will help us verify the community’s ongoing interest and support, bring new fans into the fold, and gather the feedback we need to make the Atari VCS the best gaming and entertainment device it can possibly be.

"Community is the one word that’s stayed on our whiteboard for months."

post-39941-0-18347000-1548793536.jpg

• Like 6