IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Everyone needs to remember, this whole stupid thing was an unoriginal brainchild of Feargal Mac, who is a proven scam artist now, and has a lengthy track record of stealing people's money. In light of no evidence to the contrary, any reasonable person must conclude the same here, and that this was always intended to be simple fraud and/or theft. That would remain true if they ship a thing or not due to their false advertising and lies at this point.

All they've said is they will deliver some ill-defined tchotchke they keep changing the terms on to people who pay in advance for it. They've stated they are not going into production with it beyond that, so it begs the question, what are you backing? From looking at their terms, it would appear you're only backing the creation of one copy of the item you hope to get as a "perk", but you have no guarantee of actually getting it or even what it would be. A "perk" to what? You paid them to make it, not start a business of making them. Both AtariSA and IGG are selling you chickens, but only maybe, eventually, delivering you an egg. It could be a lizard egg, or a dud that never hatches.

We're in different territory now, beyond the point of giving anyone benefit of the doubt, or having high aspirations they are unable to attain. This is plain fraud no matter how you cut it.

• Like 8

Well, if the backers for this thing end up never getting a finished product, or if something else happens that creates an insane amount of bad PR for Atari and Indiegogo, I know for a fact I'm never using Indiegogo again as a crowdfunding platform. This could potentially be a fatal blow on Indiegogo as an internet brand. Of course, things will bode MUCH worse for the Atari brand. Personally, I can't ever see the Atari brand having any value whatsoever if this falls through. They will basically have committed suicide here, and no amount of t-shirts or "speaker-hats" or other stupid merchandise will salvage that, no matter how many outlets purchase the logo and the name again. The Atari symbol will be seen by the modern generation as that colossal failure of a crowdfunding campaign that pissed off a lot of people. They'll have to do more digging to find out what Atari was in the beginning.

That's exactly why in the beginning I was like "..... PFFFFT, nahhh..... Nobody would be THAT fucking retarded to make this thing a scam......" ...... But, apparently I was wrong there....? LOL!

I'm sort of going off on a tangent here, but I'm actually really disappointed. I was hoping to see this turn into something. :P

Edited by Lodmot
  • Like 1

Well, if the backers for this thing end up never getting a finished product, or if something else happens that creates an insane amount of bad PR for Atari and Indiegogo, I know for a fact I'm never using Indiegogo again as a crowdfunding platform. This could potentially be a fatal blow on Indiegogo as an internet brand. Of course, things will bode MUCH worse for the Atari brand. Personally, I can't ever see the Atari brand having any value whatsoever if this falls through. They will basically have committed suicide here, and no amount of t-shirts or "speaker-hats" or other stupid merchandise will salvage that, no matter how many outlets purchase the logo and the name again. The Atari symbol will be seen by the modern generation as that colossal failure of a crowdfunding campaign that pissed off a lot of people. They'll have to do more digging to find out what Atari was in the beginning.

That's exactly why in the beginning I was like "..... PFFFFT, nahhh..... Nobody would be THAT fucking retarded to make this thing a scam......" ...... But, apparently I was wrong there....? LOL!

I'm sort of going off on a tangent here, but I'm actually really disappointed. I was hoping to see this turn into something. :P

IGG has been scamming people for a long time now. I doubt the atari campaign will kill them, they already got their money and make sure they are not liable with their legal speak.

• Like 1

IGG has been scamming people for a long time now. I doubt the atari campaign will kill them, they already got their money and make sure they are not liable with their legal speak.

That's amazing.... o-o

It's hard to believe nobody's actually taken legal action against them for that yet.

That's amazing.... o-o

It's hard to believe nobody's actually taken legal action against them for that yet.

I'm sure someone has. They probably have the lawyers and money to make it disappear though.

And also not to change the subject too much but has anybody checked on that John guy from the IGG comments? No posts in awhile.

I'm sure someone has. They probably have the lawyers and money to make it disappear though.

And also not to change the subject too much but has anybody checked on that John guy from the IGG comments? No posts in awhile.

I believe they have or have tried but read what you agree to when you sign up :) Besides, what's a lawsuit here and there in the grand scheme of things. I do believe at least one campaign was reversed and money was returned but i'm too lazy and unmotivated to fact check that :)

Yeah, he was.... interesting.

He also has a YouTube channel xD

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCY2Vz27esFXoLdIF5Dy1sVQ

• Like 3

John has a very interesting channel. I'm guessing Atari gave him a special speakerhat filled with subliminal messages to keep up the good work.

I will say I agree with him when he said the last update wasn't very good. Maybe his speakerhat fell off and he will see the light?

• Like 1

I believe they have or have tried but read what you agree to when you sign up :) Besides, what's a lawsuit here and there in the grand scheme of things. I do believe at least one campaign was reversed and money was returned but i'm too lazy and unmotivated to fact check that :)

I believe the Spectrum ZX Mini was possibly refunded. If not refunded, IGG was going to at least try and recover the money from them. Not sure how it all shook out though.

Fresh ZX Spectrum Vega+ article from our favorite bird-of-prey UK news site: ZX Spectrum Vega+ 'backer'? Nope, you're now a creditor – and should probably act fast

I believe the Spectrum ZX Mini was possibly refunded. If not refunded, IGG was going to at least try and recover the money from them. Not sure how it all shook out though.

• Like 4

That's amazing.... o-o

The problem is, even after numerous high-profile failures, some people still line up for the next scam, thinking "THIS TIME it'll be different! Industry professionals, and wouldn't it be cool, and hey it's my money, you can't tell me what to do, cash me outside howbowdah...". This crap should have stopped with the RVGS, but here we are again.

I realize that the above might have seemed like a jab at you, personally. It was not intended as such, but it's kind of unavoidable. My sincerest apologies.

• Like 3

Unless someone wants to self-represent, it would just not be cost effective to sue for a small amount of money -- even if their time is worth nothing, there are filing fees and related costs that must be paid up front.

The very top tier (with 126 "investors") was only $329. Nobody is going to hire a lawyer to recover this amount (much less anything smaller).

I suppose that someone could sue for a far greater amount than they have contributed to the campaign, but then establishing their actual damages becomes a challenge.

The problem is, even after numerous high-profile failures, some people still line up for the next scam, thinking "THIS TIME it'll be different! Industry professionals, and wouldn't it be cool, and hey it's my money, you can't tell me what to do, cash me outside howbowdah...". This crap should have stopped with the RVGS, but here we are again.

I realize that the above might have seemed like a jab at you, personally. It was not intended as such, but it's kind of unavoidable. My sincerest apologies.

Well, I admit I learned a lot of good things by this experience:

1) Only put your money towards a reputable brand, and not something that was initiated on Indiegogo.

2) If I do decide to support crowdfunded projects, it should be done sparingly, on a site that isn't Indiegogo, and not for hundreds of dollars.

3) Be careful about which companies you decide to support. There are companies out there that don't take logic into account, but they somehow get away with it by essentially brainwashing their customers with clever and pleasurable advertising and phrasing. There are also companies that will completely (and unintentionally) commit suicide because their ego is just too big for them to listen to critical feedback (no matter how correct it is)-- all because they're fixated on snatching that sweet, sweet green. The want and desire for money can be a ticking time bomb on its own.

Edited by Lodmot
  • Like 3

Thanks!

I'm looking forward to folks getting a chance to play it for the first time.

We will be showing about 15 - 20 playable games at E3 this year as well as releasing a trailer with tons of gameplay footage.

Welcome Tommy! Glad to see you here at Atariage!

Now please bring VGL back to St. Louis. :)

Can't believe that show at the Fox was 11 years ago, wow time flies.

4) If you find a forum populated by knowledgeable enthusiasts, listen to their advice.

True, but that's also kinda assuming I know for a fact who I'm talking to.

There's many different kinds of people on the internet and even just on these forums. I've gotten to know you guys in particular a bit better, so I understand now that you know what you're talking about. But in the beginning there's little to identify everyone by. The first thing you see is someone's display name and their avatar (and their signature if they have one). Also pair that with the fact that I was feeling like I was getting lambasted for simply spending money on something... we definitely got off on the wrong foot here and it painted a tainted picture in my head about people here.

But then, Atari did something like 10 times worse XDDDD And what made it bad in that case, was that I paid them, and Atari's supposedly/allegedly a professional company that's out to serve its customers, but they're not doing that. So even though I felt insulted by you guys at first, Atari did it way worse by ignoring me (not to mention, having my ~$400). You guys didn't take my money at least, you were trying to help me.

But yeah.... it can get awkward trying to judge who you should trust and not trust if you don't know about everyone around you.

Edited by Lodmot
  • Like 1

6. Don't buy from joints with one-sided, anti-consumer practices like "no refunds once the campaign is over, just wait and trust us."

@jhd there were more than 126 "top tier investors." They reset the counters and changed the levels after the campaign ended and they went into "In Demand" preorder mode. There were a bunch of joystick-only orders, but I seem to recall the vast majority of them were for a special limited woody version. If we look back a few hundred pages we can probably find PlaysWithWolves and I doing some captures to estimate and catalog what was going on.

7. Don't be a stupid pigeon.

• Like 5