IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

So from the response above, Indiegogo is looking into the campaign now. Is this the beginning of the end of this sham? I wonder how this works, does IGG demand some kind of proof that this thing exists and if not then what? Since they don't hold anyone accountable they just pull the plug on the campaign and the only recourse is a class action lawsuit?

Backers waive any right to class actions in their terms. Projects don't require prototypes on IGG, so I don't know what IGG thinks they're going to pretend to do for violation of terms beyond that. Have they ever cancelled a project after funds were received? Me thinks backers are well and truly screwed.

• Like 1

So from the response above, Indiegogo is looking into the campaign now. Is this the beginning of the end of this sham? I wonder how this works, does IGG demand some kind of proof that this thing exists and if not then what? Since they don't hold anyone accountable they just pull the plug on the campaign and the only recourse is a class action lawsuit?

How this works: Indiegogo sends out a form letter to the complaining backers and takes no action. They know it's a hassle and expense for anyone to sue them over this.

They're probably sending automated periodic reminders to the campaign folks, but unless a very large number of complaints come in, I doubt they'd even tell "Atari." This kind of thing happens all the time with crowdfunding, and it's worst on Indiegogo.

It's too late for most backers to dispute the charges on their credit card, and too early to complain about nondelivery.

It's why everyone in the world (minus 11,503 brand-hungry pigeons) said to stay away. Not to give money up front for poorly envisioned, unnecessary computer hardware. To avoid the known flop-makers who had their hands in the similar Gameband project. Protecting their consumer rights, not giving them away on flimsy promises of good things to come.

It's fun to make jokes about this because it's all just so ridiculous. Had "Atari" tried this in the 1980s, would we have gone along with it? Sent in our checks and money orders in advance, with the promise of a big, untraceable package sometime in the future?

• Like 9

It's fun to make jokes about this because it's all just so ridiculous. Had "Atari" tried this in the 1980s, would we have gone along with it? Sent in our checks and money orders in advance, with the promise of a big, untraceable package sometime in the future?

5431983558_973319d0f9_b.jpg

• Like 5

As we all know, "Atari" has collected 3 million dollars for their silly PR stunt of a "console."

post-2410-0-56072900-1551885025.png

BUT WAIT! NEW SH!T HAS COME TO LIGHT

post-2410-0-33694000-1551885071_thumb.png

4 million? Could it be? Let's click on "more" and see.

post-2410-0-12013600-1551885110_thumb.png

GOOD GOLLY MISS MOLLY

Has "Atari" experienced -$968,025 of "shrinkage"????

giphy.gif

That's 24% of the total! Indiegogo only takes 5% plus credit card fees. Are the "backers" the biggest cost this thing has? I mean, besides lawsuits with Feargal Mac and garage rentals. Say it aint so, Mike!

• Like 7

Does June 30, 2018 have any importance here, i.e. does the counter on the project page only go up and down regarding changes in orders placed up until that day, and it is possible they raised almost another million dollars from post-campaign sales that are not visible in the project counter?

Does June 30, 2018 have any importance here, i.e. does the counter on the project page only go up and down regarding changes in orders placed up until that day, and it is possible they raised almost another million dollars from post-campaign sales that are not visible in the project counter?

June 30 2018 marks the end of the "campaign," after which pledges are locked in, and refunds are denied. Everything after that is "in demand," like preorders, but you can't cancel after 2 weeks. I believe "in demand" is intended to work primarily as a storefront for goods that are ready to ship.

Six months after the campaign ends, Indiegogo releases the 5% reserve funds they were holding to cover chargebacks. From New Years 2019 onwards, any refunds for this project would have to come out of "Atari Game Box LLC."

Other counters were reset when they changed the rewards and removed the "limited woody" thing. There's a powerful enough of a stink wafting from the whole enterprise that I wouldn't trust any numbers, but the dollar figures are where IGG makes its money so they're likely to be the most accurate.

I peeked at a few other campaigns, and the profile "more" amount is consistently higher than the front page "total funds raised." In the places I spot-checked, the difference wasn't as great as with "Atari Box," more like a couple of percentage points. If buyer's remorse is more strongly felt on this project than others, I think this is where the difference will show up. If jbpin's comment is deleted, I know what I'm going to assume.

That extra money might partially be from upsells after the fact. Like the $30 pigeon shirt.

This scam never ceases to amaze.

Trust me, if nothing gets delivered on this thing, I'll never use Indiegogo again, and I'll be sure to spread negative word-of-mouth about it on Facebook, around my circle of friends, etc.

I also won't buy any new merchandise Atari makes, even if some major buyout occurred in the future. Both brands will be on my blacklist. That's how much it will turn me against them.

Edited by Lodmot
  • Like 1

Trust me, if nothing gets delivered on this thing, I'll never use Indiegogo again, and I'll be sure to spread negative word-of-mouth about it on Facebook, around my circle of friends, etc.

I also won't buy any new merchandise Atari makes, even if some major buyout occurred in the future. Both brands will be on my blacklist. That's how much it will turn me against them.

I've already sworn off indiegogo. It doesn't matter how much I believe in a project, I won't even consider sponsoring if it's not on Kickstarter. When the video store documentary was being pushed, I told the filmmakers point blank I would be happy to buy the movie upon release, but would not let my money pass through IGG. I felt they deserved to hear the truth, a serious project using IGG is a mistake.

• Like 5

I've already sworn off indiegogo. It doesn't matter how much I believe in a project, I won't even consider sponsoring if it's not on Kickstarter. When the video store documentary was being pushed, I told the filmmakers point blank I would be happy to buy the movie upon release, but would not let my money pass through IGG. I felt they deserved to hear the truth, a serious project using IGG is a mistake.

Yeah.... They really screwed themselves here.

It's funny, because I've even backed things on Indiegogo that eventually got delivered to me and everything. But this campaign was being pushed everywhere. I saw advertisements all over the place for the VCS, so I was certain that if they were going to publicize it that much, there'd be no way they'd let themselves mess up so badly.

I guess even my favorite company has screwed up royally as well, with the Sega Saturn launch, and the 32X, etc.

Companies are weird dude...

Yeah.... They really screwed themselves here.

You guys keep thinking the Atari campaign is going to take down IGG ... it's such a small campaign that the majority of the world doesn't even know it exists. It only has a 10,000 user base at this point and it's very questionable how much of that 10,000 is real. IGG will continue as long as people keep "funding" silly projects like these and just one look at their main page shows business is strong. The real problem is the enablers and I don't consider IGG part of that group.

• Like 8

You guys keep thinking the Atari campaign is going to take down IGG ... it's such a small campaign that the majority of the world doesn't even know it exists. It only has a 10,000 user base at this point and it's very questionable how much of that 10,000 is real. IGG will continue as long as people keep "funding" silly projects like these and just one look at their main page shows business is strong. The real problem is the enablers and I don't consider IGG part of that group.

The enablers are part of the issue, yeah, but Indiegogo definitely deserves finger pointing.

It's like this-- say for example you get robbed from your house but you don't have a security system installed in the first place..... Yes, you could say you "enabled" the burglar to break into your house; but it's still their fault for engaging in the robbery.

If no actions are taken to prosecute the person that robbed you, they will continuously keep doing it and won't be influenced to change their behavior.

Getting back to Indiegogo, if no action is taken against either them or Atari, the same thing will occur time and time again to other people unaware of the situation.

Edited by Lodmot
  • Like 4

The enablers are part of the issue, yeah, but Indiegogo definitely deserves finger pointing.

Nope. IGG provides the platform which in itself is a good honest platform. Fraudulent companies abuse the platform and ignorant people who don't do research enable the fraud.

God dammit, FLOJO, please help .. i've lost my dry i don't give a fuck humor .. bring me back bro :)

• Like 1

Now it's your turn.

When GDC comes and goes (again) and "Atari" has nothing substantive to announce (again) will you shut up and crawl back to the delusional French fantasyland from whence you've sprung, never to return?

A simple oui or non will do.

if nothing about Atari during the GDC 2019, I will sell my share ( Atari ) and quite this forum and apologize for my madness ;0)

• Like 1

Nope. IGG provides the platform which in itself is a good honest platform. Fraudulent companies abuse the platform and ignorant people who don't do research enable the fraud.

God dammit, FLOJO, please help .. i've lost my dry i don't give a fuck humor .. bring me back bro :)

I don't agree with that mindset honestly...

Obviously it's still early to blame Atari for not delivering (like Flojo said), but in the case that they DON'T deliver, I blame both Indiegogo and Atari.

I will also say that I've learned a lesson-- and that is to disregard both brands completely. But it is ultimately their wrongdoings and they should be disciplined. No background research should be necessary if you're a "good and honest" platform and/or company.

Edited by Lodmot
  • Like 2

if nothing about Atari during the GDC 2019, I will sell my share ( Atari ) and quite this forum and apologize for my madness ;0)

One whole share? That's like $0.35!

I think IGG is legally fine, but ethically? A shitshow. Remember, they get paid no matter what. There's a reason they have such a bad reputation.

Getting back to Indiegogo, if no action is taken against either them or Atari, the same thing will occur time and time again to other people unaware of the situation.

Unless you want to mount a lawsuit, this is probably the best thing you can do for now -- just keep on engaging them respectfully, try to keep them honest, remind them of their responsibilities. If they care about the obvious risks to their reputation, maybe they'll do the right thing.

post-2410-0-52678000-1551901220_thumb.png

• Like 3