IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

@Wolves I am totally biased, but I would guess that cable on ol'Woody exists just to power the logo.

WTF on Ars pulling the piece. I expect better from them. "Atari" shouldn't get to call the shots on how its shitty unreleased product is covered.

Here's the Ars Technica article, saved in the Wayback Machine, which is better for the public good than Condé Nast is showing themselves to be. https://web.archive.org/web/20190613170204/https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/06/ataris-new-vcs-isnt-a-console-but-it-isnt-quite-a-computer-either/

I'll ask Kyle Orland who pulled the article. It wasn't a hit piece nor was it an advertorial.

• Like 3

I want to add a theory; Atari (Nutari for the clever ones here) seems to be pulling a plot or playbook from "The Producers"

I haven't followed this story because I'm not into modern gaming but love original A8 and FPGA ways to relive the past. I am watching Youtuber negative "What are you thinking?" videos that seem to fuel the same fire that has made this thread so long. Most recently: " The Atari VCS Gets A Release Date, But It's Still Crap!" from ReviewTechUSA. Is anyone else thinking Atari wants to bug repel the majority beyond campaign funding to support this so they can bow out with as little repercussion as possible? I'm theorizing:

1. Atari wants to keep the fund-raising money

2. Atari knows they must deliver a product

3. Atari can't price the system like a Neo Geo or it would be too obvious, but as high as current gen consoles would only muster a few "what are they thinking?" quips without deep diving.

4. Atari is [drum roll] - pulling a plot line from "The Producers" in that they do not WANT anyone buying the console and KNOW no one will buy a system with no announced games, unknown hardware, and price point of the leaders of current gen consoles, AND TIMED it all knowingly that the NEW consoles are coming out and will make 99.99999% of the world forget about them. The business plan seems DAMAGE CONTROL mode only where they only have to deal with angry backers.

This idea may have already been addressed but forgive me if I don't sift 735 pages of the thread to find out.

• Like 8

Another article with all the garble, however quite a few links all on one page.

Go HERE at your own risk

You do realize that so-called Global News Wire is just a corporate advertising front. There's no hint of reporting. It's all exactly as the shills prepare and copy paste their releases, truth or fiction, legit or b.s.

"About Us

GlobeNewswire is one of the world's largest newswire distribution networks, specializing in the delivery of corporate press releases financial disclosures and multimedia content to the media, investment community, individual investors and the general public."

• Like 3

I cant remember any life changing games from infocraps

I do remember a hand full of meh not awesome but not aewful games from that era

meanwhile in the real world

exactly 3 months into having a spare NES shell and a wild hare up my arse

post-35237-0-21466000-1560483266_thumb.jpg

OG NES shell

intel atom dual core at 1.8ghz

Geforce 210 graphics

DVI, VGA, HDMI, USB 3.0 yadda yadda yadda

512 gig mechanical drive

DVDR

802.11.n wifi

1GB wired network

Windows 7 pro

Retroarch

100% capable of running GTA 4, maybe borderlands at 30 fps

cost ... well under 3 million USD

and ataribawx shows a 3d printed mockup 6 months away after working on it since late 2017

using a generic cloud skin ... sigh

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 7

I cant remember any life changing games from infocraps

Awesome hardware homebrew pic! But I just had to look up Infogrames because I knew there was at least one...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Infogrames_games

Neverwinter Nights, at least for me. Loved that game. I remember seeing the Atari logo on the box and thinking "what?"

Then again, licensing/publishing vs. who really made it is also important.

• Like 5

This must be Atari's "Hardware Store" model to make believers believe but here's, what I think, what it's really made out of:

attachicon.gifHardware_Store VCS.jpg

As you can see, many of the items are found at a hardware store or as they say in french, la droguerie.

To me the "springs" look like sheet metal screws. Don't let the name confuse you; they'll work on plastic too.

There's a conspicuous lack of circuits on their circuit board. Maybe they stole my idea, & each game will come on a cart which includes a complete system-on-a-chip? Then again, I stole that idea from Epoch, Coleco, & later-pong machines.

Other than that I can't say anything, 'cause I don't know anything.

• Like 2