IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

That's Atari's press release. When you see GlobeNewswire, they're just spitting out whatever was fed to them. Not an article, not analysis.

You do realize that so-called Global News Wire is just a corporate advertising front. There's no hint of reporting. It's all exactly as the shills prepare and copy paste their releases, truth or fiction, legit or b.s.

"About Us

GlobeNewswire is one of the world's largest newswire distribution networks, specializing in the delivery of corporate press releases financial disclosures and multimedia content to the media, investment community, individual investors and the general public."

post-52250-0-48811900-1560519610.gif

post-52250-0-06107900-1560520850.gif

• Like 2

I studied the pictures a bit more, it looks like the main circuitry is on the underside and I believe the fan is spinning to intake air and push the heat out the back.

But, I have another question, why is there an ethernet port? Don't know too many people, that have an ethernet port, by the TV.

• Like 4

I just figured out what the springs are for, as well. They are used to reduce the vibration from the fan, hence reducing noise.

well sort of, springs are used on captured screws all the time in mass assembly which can act as vibration dampeners but its screwed down to a board, when we use them its cause we have some smuck placing the heat sink down and the springs keep the screws out of the way, then its moved to the next asm station where they are driven home to torque

cant waste time placing a part and fiddle farting with 4 little screws at the same time

• Like 2

But, I have another question, why is there an ethernet port? Don't know too many people, that have an ethernet port, by the TV.

Ethernet ports have been common place on consoles since the OG XBOX, and your going to get it on a SBC no matter what, might as well populate it

now keep in mind this thing is quite litterly a peice of plastic with 3d printed part mockup's glued onto it, look at the NVME drive, its missing the screw on the end, those things wont sit flat without a screw, and thanks to the temps they run at (looks at mine 54C or 129F) double sided tape would last about 10 min tops

sort of the same with the network card minus the heat

I also know its impossible to have a single sided board on modern computers, the speed they run at and the power they draw physically wont allow it

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 2

I also know its impossible to have a single sided board on modern computers, the speed they run at and the power they draw physically wont allow it

Prototype design, you need a shitload more layers.

• Like 1

Yeah, I can't begrudge anyone an Ethernet port, especially if they're doing 4K video. I think OUYA had one too, at a fraction the size and price. (Side note: my AppleTV is significantly faster on WiFi, even when I plug in gigabit Ethernet. Very weird)

Some commenters elsewhere were speculating that AtariBox would be passively cooled, fanless, silent. They probably thought this because of the relatively weak chipset in the tech specs. Obviously that's not going to be the case, and the recent back view shows the big heat vents that resemble my big red Dell gamer laptop.

I think a set top box should be as quiet as possible. The real life reviewers will definitely have opinions about this. I wonder if "Atari's" engineers are better at thermals than they are at communicating status updates?

Regarding the Target suit, I thought that was dismissed but I guess that was just what' Target wanted. Their motion to dismiss (pasted into this thread about a hundred pages back) seemed pretty compelling to me -- wrong venue, no solid proof shown that "Atari" can even make a claim to Pong. It would be fun if Target didn't back down and Pong was found to be a generic concept, not owned by anyone, least of all "Atari."

As they say in the Godzilla shows, "let them fight."

• Like 3

Are yall haters gonna be disappointed if the ataribox makes it to market? Some people want this thing to be vaporware so badly lol

Most of us have never said it won't make it to market. We've made fun of Atari for missing like five shipping dates so far. We make fun of the people who are slavishly loyal to it despite that and who are excited about all the amazing things it will do even though we haven't been shown any of the things it will do. And we've said the thing will be a complete waste of money because apart from the Atari logo it doesn't seem to offer anything you can't get elsewhere for a lot less money.

• Like 10

Beware of promises about features to be added "post-launch." It's far more likely that what you get on day one will be as good as it gets, especially with all the talk of "sandbox mode." That is code for "do it yourself because we never will."

This text is still up on the Atari SpeakerHat product page. "One day," but not "today" and the road to hell is paved with good intentions "to continuously improve on design and engineering."

post-2410-0-52370600-1560569727_thumb.jpeg

• Like 3

That thing atari showed off is what's called a 'hand model'. I guess because they make them by hand. Usually these are used for trade shows and for mechanical fit/testing purposes. The "PCB" is most likely a piece of aluminum milled to the thickness of a circuit board, with holes drilled in it for major parts like connectors that will stick through the walls of the enclosure. The original prototype with the LEDs on it are pretty typical of a trade show quality hand model. The LEDs most likely are being run off batteries inside it to give an idea what the finished product will look like.

Why atari would show off a clear hand model that is obvious phoney baloney is anyone's guess. It's not much more than a more expensive version of the Retro VGS' cardboard PCB with parts glued on. They stepped things up to aluminum.

Hand models like that aren't even terribly expensive- at the very most, a few grand for a really elaborate one like the clear one they showed off. Again, these things are designed for checking fit and form, and not function. The guys that make these things are really good at it, and can replicate the look of injection molded plastic using various finishes on a 3D printed base. They can even do things like make custom connectors that work if you want to put something inside or connect it via a wire to your proper job hardware prototype.

• Like 9

Are yall haters gonna be disappointed if the ataribox makes it to market? Some people want this thing to be vaporware so badly lol

Ahem ...

The argument hasn't been that they will release *nothing*, but that what they finally *do* release will fail to live up to the hype, because KookyFrenchGuyAtari does not have the necessary talent or resources to create anything sufficiently different from other alternatives to justify the $3M that they raised from crowdfunding. When "that Ataribox?" finally does ship—whatever it ends up being—and when the True Believers inevitably claim that this somehow "proves the naysayers wrong," they will only be setting up a straw man.

It's true that they've shown nothing tangible, but let's remember that they've also released several pictures and videos of the "prototype" in action that were highly questionable, if not demonstrably faked. (I'm thinking specifically of the video of Tempest 4000 supposedly being played on a prototype "that Ataribox?" console, even though Llamasoft never created a Linux version of T4K and knew nothing about it.)

Also, it's not such a good idea to go around labeling people who are raising legitimate questions and criticisms—fun-loving taco posts notwithstanding—as "haters." The last people who made a habit of doing that around here ended up being exposed as outright liars and scammers, and that's not the kind of association that you want. Doesn't this project already resemble the RVGS/Chameleon debacle too closely for its own good?

• Like 16