IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

A simple picture that speaks a thousand tacos ?

woodyandatcobox.thumb.jpg.a98629bc045c33aa8160ac635d87cd79.jpg

A picture that evokes emotions from both ends of the scale.  You look at the 4 switch Woody and you just smile and reminisce.

You look at the other thing ... and you just shake your head.  One trying to ride off the back of another simply for $$$, doing the original no justice!

grumpycat.jpg.05e9b0a8d6ed98a952aa30a9e1b22aa8.jpg

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

That Reg article is spot on. But of course, we have to look at the Atari hired yahoos in the comments:

Guys, give Atari a break.

I've signed up since 2017 and I am completely chilled about the timescales as I want something fun and playable with retro capability.

The point made in the article contrasting the hardware performance is totally irrelevant, the reason it is irrelevant is that as a rule, the developers in most games companies have been completely incapable of exploiting the benefits of faster hardware for the last 10 years.

Games are like films, and many older games stand the test of time due to the concept and playability, many new games, like many new formulaic films are total rubbish, even if running at 8k.

No timescales, no developers, no games, no way for casual buyers to exploit the sandbox mode, no problem! IT SEZ ATARI ON DA BOX!

They're not that expensive that many families couldn't afford to enjoy a selection. Then one can shop around for the best value video games, not locked in to only one ecosystem.

There's probably about a dozen gaming consoles in this household, several of each generation. Yes, we have HDMI switches for all the video signals.

Lol, but as the article pointed out, the PS4/Switch/Xbone are all less expensive. And I'm sure families just can't wait to load up Ubuntu, download ROMs, emulators and configure them in Linux. All of these other stupid closed consoles have totally been missing the boat on reaching families, how could they miss out on such forward-thinking innovation!

it's not like the Speccy or the Wii were technically competitive yet look how they did.

Press release and inexperienced management competency aside, they could strike gold and fair play to them, but let's give them the benefit of the doubt and only burn them for missed deadlines and their attempts at reputation knocking journos because of unfavourable press .... Stressing next gen consoles will trounce their machine is missing a key point - that a household name is coming to back to market as an underdog. 

I think that people are really overestimating the value of the Atari brand. $3m really is peanuts in a multi-billion industry. Nintendo can handle nostalgia far better than Fred can manage. There's a lot more Atari has bungled than just missed deadlines.

"an under-powered, out-dated, over-priced, over-complicated console that will please no one and go nowhere". I remember journalists lining up in their hundreds to say just that about the Switch prior to launch. You know, the one that's now sold over 35m units and is having The Witcher 3 brought to it. So even if the VCS only sells a tenth of that it's a still pretty decent result. And yup it does have more power than the Switch too.

It's weird how we're back to that though, that it's all about power like nothing else matters. Reminds me of the bit wars of the 1990s. If power is your primary concern all consoles are underpowered; go build yourself a high spec gaming PC with one of those triple decker graphics cards.

Weird, I can't remember a single journalist who was claiming anything like that about the Switch. He's probably thinking of the WiiU, but it's still another silly comparison. And everyone that claims that underpowered best sellers are a good comparison for the VCS are smoking some powerful, mind-altering stuff.

It's also fun to see these people who still think that you can put Nintendo and modern Atari into the same class, just ignoring all of the facts about how the companies actually operate, believing that they've remained static caricatures of what they were 35 years ago.

And let's scream it again - where are the exclusive games? Where are the developers? 

• Like 8

44 minutes ago, Spriggy said:

A simple picture that speaks a thousand tacos ?

woodyandatcobox.thumb.jpg.a98629bc045c33aa8160ac635d87cd79.jpg

A picture that evokes emotions from both ends of the scale.  You look at the 4 switch Woody and you just smile and reminisce.

You look at the other thing ... and you just shake your head.  One trying to ride off the back of another simply for $$$, doing the original no justice!

Removing the SD card slot was a really dumb move. Having the option of removable media was going to be a nice feature. Nice enough that they used it as a talking point right up until they removed it. The SD card slot would have been the modern interpretation of the cart slot IMO. They couldn't even get that right. A USB HDD sitting next to the machine just isn't the same. Neither is an SD card reader sticking out of that same USB port. It feels unintended when you start having to add dongles and whatever else to replace a feature they removed. If an end user has to start adding their own shit to the device right out of the box? Not a good thing.

• Like 7

I don't know if "Atari" is really just neurotic but other game console developers would make a ➡️working⬅️ prototype instead of begging for money making all these wood/plastic models and then announcing to push back the release date with temporary "band-aids" like free T-shirts, keychains and other types of worthless garbage to keep the backers that got suckered into it still interested.  It's pretty obvious "Atari" has been spending all of its development time making shells and watching for negative comments to delete.

And speaking of negative comments, "Atari" can't take criticism.  Take RollerCoaster Tycoon World for example. dawson-crying.png

• Like 5

While Atari is surely showing off their bomb-diggety stuff at E3 and making all kind of success I decided to take a look at their stock now that they are registered here in Sweden.

A whopping 3.80 SEK per stock as it stands now, which is about 0.40 USD if my math isn't bonkers, down from about 4.4 SEK when they registered here, which is about 0.46 to 0.47-ish USD.

Extra research effort: As we don't have Taco Bell here as far as I know I decided to take a look at what 3.80 SEK buys me at the closest "Taco Bar", a taco chain we have here. A "Soft Taco Regular" which is 3 tacos and some nachos, salsa and guacamole will set you back 94 SEK. That means that one Atari stock will get you about 1/25th of that serving.

Btw I love the new forum update.

EDIT: Got the numbers wrong. They registered at 4.4 sek, not 3.98. That is just the highest today. Down from 3.98 to 3.8 today.

Screenshot_20190617-211406_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Raticon
  • Like 7
  • Haha 3

17 hours ago, OldSchoolRetroGamer said:

Pffft! I already got PC's, laptop, various Linux Distros so....

Capture.PNG

Though I suspect that may be where most of the crowdfunding money has already gone. ??

"Atari" offices are conveniently located near the Pigalle district in Paris.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Raticon said:

While Atari is surely showing off their bomb-diggety stuff at E3 and making all kind of success I decided to take a look at their stock now that they are registered here in Sweden.

A whopping 3.80 SEK per stock as it stands now, which is about 0.40 USD if my math isn't bonkers, down from about 4.4 SEK when they registered here, which is about 0.46 to 0.47-ish USD.

Extra research effort: As we don't have Taco Bell here as far as I know I decided to take a look at what 3.80 SEK buys me at the closest "Taco Bar", a taco chain we have here. A "Soft Taco Regular" which is 3 tacos and some nachos, salsa and guacamole will set you back 94 SEK. That means that one Atari stock will get you about 1/25th of that serving.

Btw I love the new forum update.

EDIT: Got the numbers wrong. They registered at 4.4 sek, not 3.98. That is just the highest today. Down from 3.98 to 3.8 today.

Screenshot_20190617-211406_Chrome.jpg

Excellent!  Wonder how P-Dubs will spin this into something positive and say it is still a good investment opportunity?

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Excellent!  Wonder how P-Dubs will spin this into something positive and say it is still a good investment opportunity?

Well its ATARI and Atari was super cool 39 years ago, ergo, the best investment opportunity ever!

That or he'll come up with something about Atari's sandbox

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TACODON said:

Can't wait to see how this turns out.

Capture.thumb.PNG.28ae4d3e31b12697a318a20c5de855c0.PNG

Kevlar is a trademarked term, not copyright. IP law is tricky, yo'. Not as tricky as trying to nail down Fauxtari and Infogrames about this whole "Atari VCS" fuckery, but close. :) 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, PlaysWithWolves said:

Well they did add the registered trademark symbol ...

They did? I don’t see a trademark sign on the store page for VCS. 

I like how the store suggests “other popular items” including the Flashback and other “mini” items. 

• Like 2