IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

12 minutes ago, Inky said:

CU Podcast really tore into the Atari VCS yesterday.  Video isn't up yet.

Hot diggetey! I skipped thru all the stuff about the FPGA SEGA CD hardware and Dr. MARIO on mobile, even though that stuff is more interesting, because my distaste for “Atari” is stronger than love or common sense. Relevant bits start right at the 40min mark with talk of the Register critique from our pal Kieren McCarthy. 

https://castro.fm/episode/pSRak6

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, PlaysWithWolves said:

Atari used googly-eyes ? in their Reddit thread about post-E3 questions. Mr. Fuji's happening, folks!

Also hi-larious is pee-dubs' six lengthy questions--and that they haven't answered a single question of anyone's in the sixteen-plus hours since they posted.

They've posted some answers now. It's all "wait and see!" How very remarkable of them to actively solicit questions without any intention of answering anything or providing any new information. "Our partners so far are AMD and PowerA!" ??

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

i'm not sure how PowerA does their stuff, but nowhere on any of their webpages/social media accounts do I see anything about a partnership with Atari SA for the controllers.  is that more a 'oh, we contracted to paint some XBox controllers so Atari can slap their name on it' type thing?

• Haha 4

35 minutes ago, digdugnate said:

Here's the 'official' answers to the questions on Reddit:

Capture.thumb.PNG.deb40427f3e99bfba2484ff20f561f3e.PNG

When we're asking for partners, we mean DEVELOPERS. Just like Steve Ballmer a few pages back. Just throwing out that you'll be able to use this as an Atari branded Steam machine isn't good enough. Not a single developer can still report that Atari has gotten back to them.

• Like 4

What? You mean to say there will be no Pitfalls Jungles of Natheria Maxtheria or whatever title of the moment for the same homemade pitfall knockoff makes it eligible for a new recognition at the local homebrew club meet? I once thought AtariSA was just ignoring the hacks, but might have been talking with a legit developer. Now it's clear they never talked to anyone. i love how the backer's expectations keep evolving to be thrilled with the big nothing they're beginning to believe they'll get.

• Like 6

Touting the absolute lack of software as a feature is bloody brilliant.

Those other systems force-feed you games. The VCS leaves you free to do whatever you want. You do like freedom, don't you? 

• Like 8
  • Haha 6

32 minutes ago, JBerel said:

What? You mean to say there will be no Pitfalls Jungles of Natheria Maxtheria or whatever title of the moment

A quick web search shows many hits for fantasy characters named Natheria including World of Warcraft — doh! Maxtheria should be safer from a copyright standpoint. It is pronounced “NOT PIT-fall by Biff.”

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Apropos of nothing (and ignoring that NuAtari is the glorious, new version of French juggernaut InfoGrames, risen zombie-like to pester us; I refuse to believe InfoGrames has some sort of following), do we know if Atari was a big deal in France in the late 70s or early 80s? Maybe later with the ST or something? Does the French gamer have the same kind of dumb nostalgia that geeks like us have for Atari? I'm not sure why there would be so many seemingly French shills for the Box (other than for obvious reasons).

• Like 4