IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

6 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

Indeed. Today I learned about Motivated Reasoning

Similar to Confirmation Bias.

Years ago I worked with a woman who believed that "Louie Louie" was a Kinks song. Another coworker and I tried to tell her that the song was originally recorded years earlier, but the version everyone knows is by the Kingsmen. She didn't believe us, googled "Louie Louie Kinks" and found a recording by the Kinks because literally everyone has recorded "Louie Louie" at some point and was able to convince herself that she was right and the two of us knew nothing about music.

I suspect she has pre-ordered the VCS.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

32 minutes ago, KaeruYojimbo said:

I mean, their big June announcement was that Walmart and Gamestop are selling the VCS. What? video game retailers selling a video game console? That's unheard of! ?

If the "Atari" people who very casually keep their social media feeds up to date are to be believed, having retail partners was supposed to give the project more "credibility." As usual, they've missed the point and keep answering the wrong questions, attempting to set the agenda by telling their backers that the "un-console" really shouldn't be compared to anything else on the market, because they're doing their own thing. The level of gaslighting is pretty funny, especially since they seem to have maxed out on the number of people who will pay real money for their nonsense. 

Their press releases remind me of the mock interviews at The Onion where the person responding just spews unrelated talking points to any question, kind of like an unimaginative politician who just sticks to their script no matter what. 

Normal person: So why would anyone buy the new Atari instead of something else, like say, an Xbox?

Atari pod person: I'm so glad you asked, since Atari has announced its new retail partners and several new cosmetic finishes for the box. It's really going to be awesome and you're going to be so glad you waited!

NP: No, seriously, why would someone buy this?

APP: We have a seriously beautiful industrial design and the controller evokes the old joystick that everyone loved so well. We're working with PowerA and one of the guys has an Atari tattoo! 

NP: Sigh. Okay. Whatever. Can you at least talk about the software interface? We saw a glimpse of it on Cnet from your hotel during e3, and it looked like a Roku or something. 

APP: We're going to eliminate the barriers that keep you from putting whatever operating system on the console. You bought it, after all! You should be able to run anything you want on it. This sort of PC-like freedom is really unprecedented. We want to be a real do it yourself system. The Raspberry Pi of the living room. 

NP: Are you high, or maybe just a little slow on the uptake? The PC is pretty PC-like too, and there's nothing stopping anyone from using a Raspberry Pi in their living room. It's like three inches long and runs off USB. 

APP: Have you seen our new joystick design? It's really innovative. It has two buttons now! That's double the amount of buttons that were on the 1977 original, did you know that? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 9

All "Atari" really has to do to really sell their shells is to use some duct tape and stick a sound effects machine onto the top.  I found one at a thrift store (not the Atari VCS- the sound machine).  Then everyone who pre-ordered this train wreck can now press "Too bad, So Sad" and "Baby" for all their money they will not see ever again.   

atarivcs_sfx_version.thumb.jpg.abdcfb68a30280c26c0964739a4b4b73.jpg

* The "Crying Baby" sound effect is great for playing to those who are butthurt.

2 minutes ago, frankodragon said:

All "Atari" really has to do to really sell their shells is to use some duct tape and stick a sound effects machine onto the top.  I found one at a thrift store (not the Atari VCS- the sound machine).  Then everyone who pre-ordered this train wreck can now press "Too bad, So Sad" and "Baby" for all their money they will not see ever again.   

atarivcs_sfx_version.thumb.jpg.abdcfb68a30280c26c0964739a4b4b73.jpg

* The "Crying Baby" sound effect is great for playing to those who are butthurt.

And woe unto anyone who thinks that "Whoopee" is a cry of triumph. Think more like "whoopie cushion," but a much juicier-sounding fart than the little inflatable rubber cushion could ever manage.

I'm counting on one of you fine fellows to stick a face of someone we love onto this picture. 

whoopee.jpg.7922f15fc5857249a6c6c44e2e813e9b.jpg

• Like 3

8 hours ago, AlecRob said:

it pains me to see former infogrames making a mockery of the Atari brand. :(

We can use your IGG posts to figure out the "working" hours of "Atari's" social media minion. 

Dead comment walking, 9 hours elapsed. Will they see and delete it today? At what hour? 

1690846480_ScreenShot2019-06-25at10_18_55AM.thumb.png.db70aba472035314173ecbf22cae6af7.png

Meanwhile, at TinGiant.com ... it's been 38 weeks (266 days) since someone bothered to post anything since "this is a test post!!" went up. I wonder if they'll remember to pay their hosting bill when it comes due in November. It would be a real shame if someone else grabbed that domain name and (actively) made a mockery of that fine organization. 

325326251_robwyatttheselfproclaimeddeadbeatdadoftheoriginalxbox.thumb.jpg.6226effe42642fe77880b3f16b6585b9.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

Meanwhile, at TinGiant.com ... it's been 38 weeks (266 days) since someone bothered to post anything since "this is a test post!!" went up. I wonder if they'll remember to pay their hosting bill when it comes due in November. It would be a real shame if someone else grabbed that domain name and (actively) made a mockery of that fine organization. 

97d.gif

• Haha 3

21 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

Indeed. Today I learned about Motivated Reasoning

It's helpful in some contexts to have a "soldier mindset," like we see with some of our friends who seem they can will their brand-focused vaporware into existence by "keeping the faith." For "the taco kids," and the rest of us, for whom truth is more important than a predetermined outcome, the "scout mindset" is more functional. 

14 hours ago, KaeruYojimbo said:

Similar to Confirmation Bias.

Years ago I worked with a woman who believed that "Louie Louie" was a Kinks song. Another coworker and I tried to tell her that the song was originally recorded years earlier, but the version everyone knows is by the Kingsmen. She didn't believe us, googled "Louie Louie Kinks" and found a recording by the Kinks because literally everyone has recorded "Louie Louie" at some point and was able to convince herself that she was right and the two of us knew nothing about music.

I suspect she has pre-ordered the VCS.

"I'll have a Atacobox Family Pack please.  Ahhh ... extra Mythomania, extra Grandiose delusions .. minus Elucidation.  Oh.. and a side of Confirmation Bias please."

11 hours ago, frankodragon said:

Fred_Whoopie_Cushion_Man.thumb.jpg.252f803503a2bac0970dc5348d96024a.jpg

His spare costume, in case he follows through.

poocostume.thumb.jpg.45be6c07b0d4a75cb777c0f2e6dd497e.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I think I posted in this thread like a year ago.  I check back every so often to make sure I'm not missing something (at least I try to discern that).

I honestly can't believe that this discussion is still going on?  What's powering it at this point?  Is it just that the whatevers at Atari keep stringing this thing out?

Also, it turns out there are a tremendous amount of taco .gifs available on the new forum.  Have they all been used in this thread yet?  How about this one?

t-bell tacos GIF by Taco Bell

Or this classic:

taco eating GIF

slow mo:

taco crush it GIF by @SummerBreak

Am I doing it right?

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

18 minutes ago, wongojack said:

What's powering it at this point?  Is it just that the whatevers at Atari keep stringing this thing out?

That's what motivates me. Nice GIFs. My fave is the 80s woman with the taco breaking in her hand as she bites into it. Heh. 

Here's a VCS mention by the guy who was needlessly kind to it the prior week. 

"Google’s Stadia is about to unleash a wave of terrible cloud gaming consoles"

The outlook is worse for the currently unknown companies that will enter with their own cloud gaming consoles. There’s even less reason to buy them. There’s also not much hope they’ll work well. A few will have a passable interface. Many will attempt to justify their existence with strung-together features that don’t make sense. And the majority will just be bad, from top to bottom. They won’t work well, and they won’t be easy to use.

Alright. Now that I’ve thoroughly smeared a genre of game consoles that aren’t even here yet, you might have a question. Why? What’s my point?

My point is this: Don’t waste your money.

• Like 5

Hi! I'm new to these parts. I'm a longtime Atari fan (not Nutari... I just like Warlords and Tempest) and refugee from the Reddit (too many trolls and weirdos on there for my taste). I've been lurking for a few weeks, and Taco Squadron seems much more reasonable than certain trolls on Reddit who will go unnamed. BTW, have you seen the NutariBox official Twitter? It's not as ridiculous as the other social media, but it's still interesting. Mostly marketing blurbs, but I could swear I've seen them ask for questions, promise answers, and then never respond (maybe they deleted the tweet? I should learn to screenshot more).

Oh, and I made a meme. I don't have photoshop (and even if I did, I have no clue how to use it), so sorry if this looks like crap:

Atacobox maymay.png

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Flojomojo said:

WTAF ...

oh, I see. They’re talking about the 1970s again. 

You would think it was designed like that to match everything else in your living room that had wood paneling back then but that would just be silly :)

• Like 3