IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Im more interested in the Commodore 64 reboot in December and actually looks like it's worth putting my money on. It's not trying to be some poor excuse of a console/unconsole with Netflicks. Good old fashion keyboard with no gimmicks, just a team listening to what the fans want. It will become alot more of an collectors item then this ridiculous Ataribox.

Ataribox is just an insult to us real fans of the classic Atari systems. It's an embarrassment and their IP should be handed over to the real Atari, as compensation to the AA community.

I slam the hammer down

giphy-downsized-large.gif.d59e7ee09e512cf6d326f29a97e0f838.gif

OPKFC.gif.fb1ca24aedbbf4d4e0dd3f56a8cea054.gif

Now we're back on topic

taco-recall.gif.999682a744437f9166f5d07e5dcd76d8.gif

Edited by TwentySixHundred
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Dunno. Though I'm a C64 guy since childhood, THEC64 is pretty much just an emulator with a custom keyboard. In that segment, you have all sorts of minor products ranging from the C64 Reloaded (redesigned motherboard wrt power requirements, but using legacy chips), via Ultimate 64 (FPGA re-implementation, again designed to fit an original case) to THEC64 which apparently has VICE software based emulation paired with a games carousel and possibly the option to emulate other systems (it will have VIC-20 enabled at launch). For those who like to invest hard earned money into interesting hardware projects, there also are the Mega65 and C256 projects, though even more oriented towards dedicated enthusiasts than mass market products.

Indeed one could dismiss the Atari VCS as a glorified 2600 emulation system too, like a Flashback but many times more expensive. However that doesn't seem to be what Atari intends it to be. Exactly what it will turn out to be is too early to say, currently it is hard to say if it will even have an ecosystem at all. The Intellivision Amico as mentioned at least seems to have a number of developers of new content onboard, to promise said ecosystem.

My point is that I no longer doubt the VCS will be released, to backers and as mail order through the mentioned channels Wal-Mart and GameStop. However if there are very few games and little other content, it will even more be a parenthesis in the timeline of video games than say the Ouya ever was. Also as a comment to AlecRob, the avaiability or not of a subsection here at AtariAge should not depend on the company name, but rather if there is something to discuss (other than tacos). Last time I looked, there wasn't even a subsection in Modern Gaming for PC based gaming, only the respective consoles currently on the market. We'll see if there is a reason to open anything for the Google Stadia once it is released, or if it will pass by without much notice.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, carlsson said:

Dunno. Though I'm a C64 guy since childhood, THEC64 is pretty much just an emulator with a custom keyboard. In that segment, you have all sorts of minor products ranging from the C64 Reloaded (redesigned motherboard wrt power requirements, but using legacy chips), via Ultimate 64 (FPGA re-implementation, again designed to fit an original case) to THEC64 which apparently has VICE software based emulation paired with a games carousel and possibly the option to emulate other systems (it will have VIC-20 enabled at launch). For those who like to invest hard earned money into interesting hardware projects, there also are the Mega65 and C256 projects, though even more oriented towards dedicated enthusiasts than mass market products.

Indeed one could dismiss the Atari VCS as a glorified 2600 emulation system too, like a Flashback but many times more expensive. However that doesn't seem to be what Atari intends it to be. Exactly what it will turn out to be is too early to say, currently it is hard to say if it will even have an ecosystem at all. The Intellivision Amico as mentioned at least seems to have a number of developers of new content onboard, to promise said ecosystem.

My point is that I no longer doubt the VCS will be released, to backers and as mail order through the mentioned channels Wal-Mart and GameStop. However if there are very few games and little other content, it will even more be a parenthesis in the timeline of video games than say the Ouya ever was. Also as a comment to AlecRob, the avaiability or not of a subsection here at AtariAge should not depend on the company name, but rather if there is something to discuss (other than tacos). Last time I looked, there wasn't even a subsection in Modern Gaming for PC based gaming, only the respective consoles currently on the market. We'll see if there is a reason to open anything for the Google Stadia once it is released, or if it will pass by without much notice.

Well that's true, however at 40% of the price and something that resembles the classic look of a C64 it's actually not a bad deal, oh and packed with a joystick. Yeah it's not an OG C64 but as a novelty or even practicality for collectors who want to store their OG C64 it would make a nice piece. It looks to be a faithful fullsize flashback system. Still id wait till it's released and watch some reviews first to see if it's worth the $120.

I also agree that AtariSA will pull something out their arse, although at the price they're asking it's going to fall short of expectations from their backers. Even their die hard fans like Max and Jon get frustrated with the lack of progress. It doesn't even know what it is and pushed into a market that doesn't exist. Even flashbacks, as cheap and nasty as they are, they have their place, yet the bawks is more like a uni students project.

They really should have marketed it as another flashback with streaming capabilities and a software store.

5 hours ago, AlecRob said:

I’m so bored of microsoft sony and nintendo.  The prospect of a platform NOT made by those companies almost outweighs the negatives lol  

You're not the first young person to post something like that in this thread (hi @Lodmot) but I don't understand that perspective AT ALL.

You're on a retro site where people talk about home computers with mere kilobytes of memory and storage, but living in an era with emulation, affordable and powerful commodity PCs, online games, infinite video streaming, cheap hardware manufacturing (clone systems, mini arcade machines, experiments like PlayDate), multitouch mobile devices, a huge indie game scene, massively multiplayer games, healthy market competition between several well supported mainstream consoles, myriad digital stores, charity bundles, value priced subscriptions, e-sports, and more. All with a giant back catalog that would take several lifetimes to fully explore, and it's all well documented with limitless options for reference and discussion. 

If anyone is "bored" with the electronic entertainment scene as it exists today, some poorly executed PC for the TV concept from a bunch of has-beens isn't going to light any fires. It's not 1991 anymore. 

Maybe it's time to go read a fscking book instead. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 8

12 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

What changed? When this ridiculous project "launched" (if you really want to call it that) almost exactly two years ago. It's been nothing but embarrassment for them ever since. 

What really chafed me was when they started going full tilt IP trolls.  Forcing Redbubble to remove all items with the word Atari from  their site (Atari 7800 Homebrew Podcast and the Atari Jaguar Podcast merch- jagone was more egregious, as Hasbro basically open sourced the jag when they owned Atari's IP's,) then there was the dustup when they tried suing a larger company over a breakout style promotion (forgot the details on this one.)  THAT's where Atari lost me. The VCS is just the diarrhea on the shit sundae (With apologies to the AVGN for that last phrase.)

• Like 6

Atari news call! Today is some hard-hitting financial information for all you crypto investors. Analysts See $0.33 EPS for Exponent, Inc. (EXPO)

Investors sentiment increased to 1.47 in 2019 Q1. Its up 0.02, from 1.45 in 2018Q4. It improved, as 12 investors sold Exponent, Inc. shares while 63 reduced holdings. 39 funds opened positions while 71 raised stakes. 45.16 million shares or 2.22% less from 46.18 million shares in 2018Q4 were reported.

Up 2 cents? That's like "Atari" money!

Actually, no. 

Exponent, Inc., together with its subsidiaries, operates as a science and engineering consulting firm worldwide. The company has market cap of $2.96 billion. 

So what's the relation to our favorite that other company?

More notable recent Exponent, Inc. (NASDAQ:EXPO) news were published by: Globenewswire.com which released: “Atari VCS: Announcement of exclusive distribution partnerships with Walmart and GameStop and presentation to the press during the E3 Expo in Los Angeles – GlobeNewswire” on June 11, 2019

Looking at their company overview, I surmise this is the outfit that "Atari" is using for regulatory certification? That's a good thing. We wouldn't want it to catch fire like its papa project was liable to do.

I was kinda hoping it was some penny-splitting get-rich scheme. Doesn't that seem like it would better fit the "Atari" playbook, right out of 1983?

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Inky said:

aahurt.jpg

The fact is, atari has little to offer someone my age who has next to no nostalgia for the brand.  I love River Raid, Kaboom, Midnight Magic, joust, HERO, and i guess a handful of others but other than that these systems just dont hold my attention.  I grew up playing Sega Saturn and gamecube and thats where the nostalgia magic is for me :)  i preordered VCS because i needed a compact PC and for 200 bucks it seemed rather amusing.  Thats all. HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG 

looking at the indiegogo comments, it seems only neurotic freaks backed this project.

Edited by AlecRob

10 hours ago, AlecRob said:

I’m remaining neutral.   They havent particularly done anything to make me hate them. So there were a few delays and whatnot...  I’m still not convinced that VCS is a horrible tragedy or anything.  

Maybe it's my "Atari" Derangement Syndrome talking, but I feel that to give this project a shred of the benefit of the doubt, let alone respect, is far from neutral. They haven't earned that, despite having taken an interest-free loan from its backers in the amount of $3,000,000. Nice work if you can get it. Contributing to that is complicity, not neutrality.

Tip: Never assume you must be right simply because you can’t be proven wrong.

916397378_ScreenShot2019-06-28at10_25_28AM.thumb.png.237f87c0b388eede1d99c44a9f4d4e90.png

878027165_ScreenShot2019-06-28at10_25_39AM.thumb.png.2b48f3a3c001a43adaaf3ba08eeb1414.png

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, AlecRob said:

i preordered VCS because i needed a compact PC and for 200 bucks it seemed rather amusing.

For $200 i would say they're going to ship you the budget build with no peripherals now that they announced there will be different models. Well atleast you can still play the Atari vault games that you have no nostalgia for and netflix...

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, TwentySixHundred said:

For $200 i would say they're going to ship you the budget build with no peripherals now that they announced there will be different models. Well atleast you can still play the Atari vault games that you have no nostalgia for and netflix...

They already said backers are getting the 800 model.  Nihilistbox 4lyfe.

6 minutes ago, AlecRob said:

The atari “my foot in your ass” box

You gave a company $200 in advance, for some as yet indeterminate period of time, for a commodity ARM box that has been delayed for 2 years and counting already, which money you could have put towards a much more flexible and customizable, expandable and usable computer today. 

So yeah, Fauxtari has its foot pretty deep in your ass, I’d say. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, TwentySixHundred said:

Even still, what is the system going to run in 4k? If it barely runs borderlands 2 in 1080 id hate to see it ran in 4k even with the beefier hardware.

Uh, why would i care about 4k?  I’m probably just gonna install windows on there and play some city of heroes.

or retroarch with a nice front end.   

i collect game consoles.  I especially like failed niche systems.  LOL 

i just think everyone is taking all this WAY too seriously. 

Borderlands is a shit game, same as all the other open world pieces of shit out there. 

Edited by AlecRob

1 minute ago, AlecRob said:

Uh, why would i care about 4k?  I’m probably just gonna install windows on there and play some city of heroes.

So you're going to pay another $150 for Windows (if a legit copy) when you could just buy a windows installed laptop that will do everything and more for the same price. Not only that but you could have it in your hands right now rather then waiting. You have alot of faith in a company that has shown nothing and rather take the chance over reputable companies that already have capable products.

• Thanks 2