Jump to content
Goochman

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Recommended Posts

On 7/2/2019 at 5:03 AM, Spriggy said:

It's liking watching two Muppets in the Thunderdome, armed with toy squishy hammers.

 

On a side-taco, is it just me, or are the Atari news and media announcements sounding more & more like they just cured Cancer? 🤔 

Atari® Partners with Six Flags® to Add Branded Real-World Theme Park Attractions to RollerCoaster Tycoon® Touch™

 

bombdiggity.gif.36fe8801b7e24f392e73a3c0e5aefd01.gif

 

 

 

They already did that with RCT2, & Six Flags isn't what it used to be. They're one or two steps away from becoming just like Atari.

 

Having said that...will the DLC include Astroworld? I never got a chance to go there, & even if the RCT2 versions of Six Flags' parks weren't 100% accurate I'd still like to see aversion of it. I'd also like to see Geauga Lake, & a few other parks Six Flags has had to shut down or sell off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is better with a four bit system than a no bit system.

 

(Possibly the Microvision was a 4-bit system, using the TMS 1100 though I'm not sure about that qualification)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Spriggy said:

It's liking watching two Muppets in the Thunderdome, armed with toy squishy hammers.

 

On a side-taco, is it just me, or are the Atari news and media announcements sounding more & more like they just cured Cancer? 🤔 

Atari® Partners with Six Flags® to Add Branded Real-World Theme Park Attractions to RollerCoaster Tycoon® Touch™

 

bombdiggity.gif.36fe8801b7e24f392e73a3c0e5aefd01.gif

 

 

 

"Atari" did make a few Dragon Ball Z games before Namco Bandai took over.  Hence that well-known meme paired with Six Flags.

 

 

 

ITS_OVER_9000.gif.c87af421311c5f3bd7679d608eafa5a7.gif

 

 

Edit- I just found an old thread about that discussion of the 2600.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm. Dragon "ball-z"

 

That's what #NotMyAtari is with this scam... "Ball-z"

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't like to quote myself, but it has a screencap of the FAQ.

 

Shot:

 

On 5/28/2018 at 8:08 PM, PlaysWithWolves said:

 

 

I do not wish to disappoint you further, but their FAQ promised it was comparable to a higher-end laptop:

 

---

 

post-39941-0-89184400-1527552368_thumb.jpg

 

Chaser:

 

20 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

It's like a preview of the "Atari VCS," but with Windows, a screen, a pointing device, and lots more storage. Bring your own Atari Vault, which is now on sale for five dollars. 

 

This $300 Laptop Is Perfect for Your Budget

 

 

Hangover: 

   

    When you wake up to find that higher-end model you waited for is worse than the lower-end model that you could've had months before.

463407838_one-night-stand-cartoon1.thumb.jpg.037cd7b13b28dadf25078f694caf2247.jpg

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To quote the mighty Judge John Hodgman, "specificity is the soul of narrative."

 

The phrase "higher-end PC laptop" is so vague as to be meaningless. Higher than what? Feargal baked on reefer? Rob tripping on shrooms? And at what point in time? When they started taking the three million dollars from pigeons, $200 at a time, or when the fine "un-console" (ptui) actually ships?

 

*Photosensitivity warning*

Remember when Atari (no asshole quotes, but the real Atari) made trippy, psychedelic games? Tempest 4000 is very neat but it shares exactly 0% corporate DNA with les chuds in charge now. 

 

Spoiler

 

giphy.gif

 

giphy.gif

 

giphy.gif

 

giphy.gif

 

giphy.gif

 

giphy.gif

 

 

 

 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

"4-bit"

🙄🙄🙄🙄

If I had a nickel for all the time I've corrected someone who called the 2600 "4-bit" I could buy a share of Atari stock.

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/1/2019 at 9:12 PM, hoserama99 said:

As god is my witness, as I sit here today, I was 100% sure it wasn't actually a hat with speakers, but just something that looked weird and earned a mocking speakerhat name somewhere in the bowels of this thread.

 

Then I googled and saw it was real, and my world has been upended. There's a darkness in this world that must be stopped.

image.thumb.png.d52e486f12bd302b14c6fa90b66d3167.png

With God as my witness, they won't lick me! If I have to lie cheat, steal, or run underhanded crowd funding schemes! With God as my witness, I'll never bankrupt Atari again!

(Cue dramatic music)

  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/2/2019 at 10:38 AM, KaeruYojimbo said:

If I had a nickel for all the time I've corrected someone who called the 2600 "4-bit" I could buy a share of Atari stock.

So, you've had to do it twice now? ;)

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/2/2019 at 9:51 AM, Flojomojo said:

To quote the mighty Judge John Hodgman, "specificity is the soul of narrative."

 

The phrase "higher-end PC laptop" is so vague as to be meaningless. Higher than what? Feargal baked on reefer? Rob tripping on shrooms? And at what point in time? When they started taking the three million dollars from pigeons, $200 at a time, or when the fine "un-console" (ptui) actually ships?

 

*Photosensitivity warning*

Remember when Atari (no asshole quotes, but the real Atari) made trippy, psychedelic games? Tempest 4000 is very neat but it shares exactly 0% corporate DNA with the les chuds in charge now. 

 

  Reveal hidden contents

 

giphy.gif

 

giphy.gif

 

giphy.gif

 

giphy.gif

 

giphy.gif

 

giphy.gif

 

 

 

 

I have a TRS-80 /Model 100 Portable Computer at home. It was a higher-end laptop when it came out. (It even has a whole 32K of RAM!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Flojomojo said:

To quote the mighty Judge John Hodgman, "specificity is the soul of narrative."

 

The phrase "higher-end PC laptop" is so vague as to be meaningless. Higher than what? Feargal baked on reefer? Rob tripping on shrooms? And at what point in time? When they started taking the three million dollars from pigeons, $200 at a time, or when the fine "un-console" (ptui) actually ships?

 

*Photosensitivity warning*

Remember when Atari (no asshole quotes, but the real Atari) made trippy, psychedelic games? Tempest 4000 is very neat but it shares exactly 0% corporate DNA with the les chuds in charge now. 

 

  Reveal hidden contents

 

giphy.gif

 

giphy.gif

 

giphy.gif

 

giphy.gif

 

giphy.gif

 

giphy.gif

 

 

 

 

You forgot the most important photosensitive image there is.   It was your avatar for a short while ago, and the whole gist of this entire thread.

 

Spoiler

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115d1b8a253570635055

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

"4-bit"

🙄🙄🙄🙄

To be fair, I can see how that mistake could be made looking backward through time and seeing the console bittedness going back through the generations of 64-bit, 32-bit, 16-bit, 8-bit...4-bit would be a natural assumption in the regression of the series to an earlier time in history.  Current day Atari is even contributing to that flawed thought process. I mean, look how they are exploiting the "retro" concept to arrive at this 2-bit offering.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, BigO said:

To be fair, I can see how that mistake could be made looking backward through time and seeing the console bittedness going back through the generations of 64-bit, 32-bit, 16-bit, 8-bit...4-bit would be a natural assumption in the regression of the series to an earlier time in history.  Current day Atari is even contributing to that flawed thought process. I mean, look how they are exploiting the "retro" concept to arrive at this 2-bit offering.

You would think so but he put it down as "trivia" like he actually knew the facts rather then assumption. What also flaws that idea is he said 5200 was 8bit aswell as the 7800, when you would expect him to assume the 7800 was 16bit. Yet somehow he actually knew the Lynx was 16bit 🤔 almost like searched all the other systems besides the 2600.

 

Makes you wonder what goes through their minds.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The "Bit War" metric was always a marketing thing. NEC and Sega wanted to show that their consoles were more powerful than than the NES, so they heavily marketed themselves as "16 bit" on opposition to Nintendo's "8 bit". Then, Nintendo got in on the action with the SNES, and then Sega and Sont started pushing 32 bit Consoles. Atari had their "do the math" campaign with the Jaguar. Nintendo eventually released the N64, which was so eager to advertise it's bit count that it's right there in the name. Then the Dreamcast came out, and I don't think I ever heard bits being used in marketing again.

 

Nowadays I tend to hear bits used as a way of describing pixel graphics. "8 bit" means NES style and "16 bit" means SNES/Genesis/GBA style, even if the game is running on the PS4 Pro and we are 3 decades removed from the first 16-bit console. Although I've never heard people comparing their modern 3D graphics to 32-bit or 64-bit, probably because early 3D games haven't aged nearly as well.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Mike_2000 said:

The "Bit War" metric was always a marketing thing. NEC and Sega wanted to show that their consoles were more powerful than than the NES, so they heavily marketed themselves as "16 bit" on opposition to Nintendo's "8 bit". Then, Nintendo got in on the action with the SNES, and then Sega and Sont started pushing 32 bit Consoles. Atari had their "do the math" campaign with the Jaguar. Nintendo eventually released the N64, which was so eager to advertise it's bit count that it's right there in the name. Then the Dreamcast came out, and I don't think I ever heard bits being used in marketing again.

 

Nowadays I tend to hear bits used as a way of describing pixel graphics. "8 bit" means NES style and "16 bit" means SNES/Genesis/GBA style, even if the game is running on the PS4 Pro and we are 3 decades removed from the first 16-bit console. Although I've never heard people comparing their modern 3D graphics to 32-bit or 64-bit, probably because early 3D games haven't aged nearly as well.

Yeah, from a technical perspective, the claim about "x bits" never was any more of an apples-to-apples comparison than the clock speed claims in the PC world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im fairly sure Nintendo wasn't buying the bit war nonsense until the N64 purely for marketing reasons. After all PPU's and RAM were making the most significant difference in graphical capabilities, much like modern cards are of today. Still the advance with 16bit and 32bit architecture did open the bottleneck for processing instructions, so the bit war wasn't completely irreverent.

 

Nowadays with true 64bit architecture well the demand for more RAM is the main reason we have 64bit systems. Once again another bottleneck.

Edited by TwentySixHundred

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, TwentySixHundred said:

Makes you wonder what goes through their minds.

I think I know. 

giphy.gif

 

4 hours ago, frankodragon said:

Third parties for the SNES were on the bit hype though.

wwf_rr_snes.thumb.jpg.8b8d0646920f925371a1739f287c9804.jpg

When you saw "MEG" or "MEGA" in that context, it was about the size of the program (and its art assets), where bigger was better. Neo Geo was the worst about bragging about their stuff, which was bigger than anyone else's. Remember that there are 8 bits to a byte, so this "16-MEG" wrestling game weighs in at 2 megabytes of ROM space. That's not much data in modern terms, only 25 copies of that 77KB image, or a bit more than a single 1.44MB floppy diskette. 

 

It still astounds me that we paid $60 for games like that, because that's all there was. I can't help but thing the gang at "Atari(r)" VCS(tm) are living in some kind of early 1990s fantasy land where oooh, ahhh, a PC for your living room! is a fresh or interesting idea. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, that's when Wipeout XL is set! That was a nice game with a thumpin' soundtrack. 

1164130794_ink-Edited.thumb.png.624f8944cf3cabc1317fb2d8cc15a887.png

So when is "production" going to start?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Flojomojo said:

So when is "production" going to start?

unless they are going to expedite everything it should have happened about 2 months ago, and PV builds should have been around the new year to work out all dem bugs that one off prototypes wont show you 

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

Hey, that's when Wipeout XL is set! That was a nice game with a thumpin' soundtrack. 

1164130794_ink-Edited.thumb.png.624f8944cf3cabc1317fb2d8cc15a887.png

So when is "production" going to start?

Just stay tuned.

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...