IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

11 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

Michael Arzt: "So number one first and foremost, like I said, it’s not a retro box. What is it? Another thing it’s not, it’s not a console, right? People are going to call it a console, because that’s just how things go, but we prefer to call it what it is, which is a Video Computer System, which is a computer system that works through a video interface. So it’s optimized for using with your TV in your living room and all that. So the way the machine works, well let’s quickly back up a little bit."

wtf.gif.f121c1f833fe0f3f846ce6bb52584d0c.gif

Sounds like a Dr Seuss quote! 

Dr Arzt:

"What is it?" 

"Another thing it's not."

It's not a Pi, It's not a console,

"It's not a retro box."

11 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

Michael Arzt: " .... as I’ve said, a lot of misunderstanding about what this machine is."

And whose fault is that?  As highlighted by others here..... It's not a Pi, yet it is like a big Pi.  It's not a console, yet it's look and ideal is like a console.  It's not a Retro Box, yet it has

retro faux-wood-grain and all the gaming screenshots show 35 year old games.  My god!

mayday.gif.14355ae2098e9a46f2dcf779442a0d09.gif

11 hours ago, JBerel said:

Good lord, somebody nominate this advertising genius for a Clio stat. (or at least a Biffy!)

1285240681_ArztBiffy.jpg.42ca6c2bcfe196d15dc94f11753062a2.jpg

6 hours ago, Nathan Strum said:

Every thread needs more guacamole.

?

avosquirrel.gif.5b8c1910db62420b97b4f38e75dfb8e2.gif

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

27 minutes ago, delmero said:

But will all of you buy it I mean, putting aside on what it is or what is not?

I wouldn't buy it, I got the real deal?

Heh. Per our old friend "Dubs," when talking about Speaker Hat,

Btw- take the cost and whatever you consider the usefulness of the speakerhat out of the equation- for the people that want to do what the product does, it is very well built, performs well, and even the packaging is high quality with attention to detail. Until you see it in person, it is easy to hate.

Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?

stupid classic reaction GIF

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

HERE @18:48.  Words of wisdom from Buddha Phelan.

VCSad.thumb.jpg.961a61f4f06595b7c3615093f64a990c.jpg

7 hours ago, Spriggy said:

Sounds like a Dr Seuss quote! 

Dr Arzt:

"What is it?" 

"Another thing it's not."

It's not a Pi, It's not a console,

"It's not a retro box."

anotherthingitsnot.thumb.jpg.349f715d8e1c3e7ff227bb48b8b90c6f.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 12

I think some of the true believers might hold on to hope for a while. There's someone posting on Reddit asking what happened with the lawsuit where Tramiel Atari won some concessions from SEGA over patent theft, as if an exclusive Sonic the Hedgehog game could be compelled to appear on VCS because of some settled 25yo legal dispute. To say nothing of how the company went thru at least 2 bankruptcies and changed hands many times since then. 

I think most of the buyers will convince themselves they're happy with what they paid for, that their un-console delivered what it said it would, which frankly is fair. Centipede on PC with a shiny reimagined Atari joystick. Whatever floats their boats. 

• Like 4

Assuming it actually releases...

I think it will take only a day or two for the thing to fall flat once the early backers get it. Of course the pigeons will say it will get better.

That is why I plan on selling mine off as soon as it gets dropped off by the carrier pigeons. This thing will flop hard and the only way to get any money back is to flip it fast.

• Like 4

OUYA flopped hard, was the butt of all the jokes, but it was OK for what it was -- which wasn't much, but still. They made it into stores and filled up their app store with lotsa crap. 

I think that's the best case scenario for this project, just as we have been saying all along. 

• Like 3

Thanks for posting the link to the interview Flojomojo, even if I cringed while listening. 

It’s clear they didn’t succeed at their objective of clearing the air on what the video computer system is. Or is not. Or is. 

I did enjoy the hiccup of “we’re hoping to have more updates.. no, we will have more updates this year.”

Calling it very powerful is a huge stretch of imagination. The idea that anyone will able to play CyberPunk 2077 or any other real modern title on this is simply not possible. The thing about “the internet” is people aren’t trying to hide facts or deceive others intentionally so, despite that apparently being the case here. Oh, those pesky internet trolls just pounding on our product for no good reason. But what is it!? We shall remain mysterious. Can’t dissect the hardware components if it’s showcased in a large black box with intent to hide what is actually under the hood. 

Still talking about Minecraft and Fortnite, good grief. He almost sounded frustrated with himself in being unable to answer what the VCS is when asking it out loud again only to continue talking about what it isn’t. 

One thing I know it isn’t, and that’s a viable product for the future growth of Atari that these few people are grasping onto in hopes that this is somehow going to bring Atari back from the dead. At least the OUYA was priced reasonably. As closed as the Xbox One or PS4 might be, at least you’ll actually be able to play real modern titles for half the price but carry on about 4K streaming that’s already built into every smart tv you can buy from Walmart for $200. 

Edited by Clint Thompson
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Same old silliness, yet it never gets old!

62034584_ScreenShot2019-07-30at12_21_52PM.thumb.png.54192e490215b934c3cfa24f7b1812f8.png

giphy.gif

With all the problems with this thing, from the concept to the communication to the general incompetence, Jeff has an issue with the version of Bluetooth in use here. "So why the hell is it Bluetooth 4.0, it's a pathetic Bluetooth version." ?

1542550646_ScreenShot2019-07-30at12_22_18PM.thumb.png.4f833edc27cab872ae804d4e22ab6c4d.png

Defender of the realm Andrew Werner is on the scene to help!

507298374_ScreenShot2019-07-30at12_23_13PM.thumb.png.cbffe5bcfd6d56a8cd40dcbfb2e35923.png

but who we really needed was Andy Blakely! Rescuer of fair maidens, and Atari VCS!

Oh look, here he is now!!

587860032_ScreenShot2019-07-30at12_23_41PM.thumb.png.a3d280544e8841ebca9b888b3b5ebed0.png

giphy.gif

• Haha 3

Just for historical jollies.

On 5/30/2018 at 9:41 AM, TheVgaTv said:

Wow they don't even have the final prototype finished yet?

Meanwhile back in the irradiated wasteland of the Ataribox inspiration and predecessor GameBand project (where they really want to issue refunds if that ever becomes a possibility).....

• Cory C4 days ago

I filed an FTC complaint and all I got back was a “here’s a document on how not to get scammed in the future”

• Thomas Palmerabout 5 hours ago

Yes, that is all you will get from them personally. Unlike the BBB they don't so anything on individual complaints. They compile complaints and if they get enough of them then they will check it out to see if in requires an investigation. They tend to only "investigate" when they are certain funds were misused. The FTC's first investigation resulted in a settlement with the creator of The Doom That Came to Atlantic City. Last year they started to investigate the iBackpack campaigns and a couple months ago filed a lawsuit against the creator.

• Tomás Mosqueira6 days ago

I invoke my rights under Kickstarter's Terms of Use:

Project Creators are required to fulfil all rewards of their successful fundraising campaigns or refund any Backer whose reward they do not or cannot fulfil."

I demand an immediate full refund for my pledge amount.

• Santiago Jara8 days ago

"Project Creators are required to fulfil all rewards of their successful fundraising campaigns or refund any Backer whose reward they do not or cannot fulfil."

I demand an immediate full refund for my pledge amount.

• Fred Fontes13 days ago

"Project Creators are.....blah blah frickity blah."

I demand a full refund for my pledge amount.

• AJ Mitchell14 days ago

I would like to demand a refund as well, this is clearly fraud and isn't the first time it's been done either. And anyone else trying to take things up with kickstarter support, let me know if you get anywhere with them, they keep referring me to the terms of service and FAQ page to "make myself more familiar with the kickstarter terms of service."

Edited by JBerel
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

The 3 kinds of angry project backers in 1 image

image.thumb.png.c2a605020849de5af0ea46343be0c5e2.png

That "I invoke my rights under Kickstarter terms of usage" is ridiculous, it has never worked that way and it never will. The top post on the Gameband project is this, which is a lot closer to reality. "I filed an FTC complaint and all I got back was a "here's a document on how not to get scammed in the future." 

168410558_ScreenShot2019-07-30at4_07_03PM.thumb.png.45593f910002c72942d3abf69101ef10.png

So Atari VCS is still in the Prototype phase. 

141519005_ScreenShot2019-07-30at4_12_18PM.thumb.png.942b34c27e5740c5e405414cceee6b86.png

When we click Learn More, we get this:

What do the different Product Stages mean?

The Product Stage categories mean the following:

• Concept: Campaigns in the "Concept" stage have an idea for a physical product that they are planning to create. This may include mock-ups or 3D renderings that demonstrate the product’s appearance or functionality when produced.
  • Prototype: Campaigns in the "Prototype" stage have a working version of their physical product that successfully demonstrates the key features and functionality of the final product.
  • Production: Campaigns in the "Production" stage have a working version of their physical product, are currently producing this product for backers, and can highlight the current production stage with images or video support (ie tooling, molds, manufactured components, final product in the factory).
  • Shipping: Campaigns in the "Shipping" stage have already produced their final product and have begun shipping it to backers.

How do we approve product stages? 

Our team reviews everything listed on the campaign page (we see all the same information as you!). If there is adequate information, the page will be approved for the Product Stage the campaigner has selected.  

Do you think we'll get to see their images or video support, i.e. tooling, molds, manufactured components, final product in the factory anytime soon?

• Like 2