IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

On 8/31/2019 at 8:26 PM, JaqenHghar said:

So there you have it. A big license game is out in 2021, and the VCS is out in 2020. Ergo big license games are coming to the VCS. Take that! (Methinks the author may not be appreciating the nuance of the word "relevant")

Hmm, what is going to be more relevant in 2021, the VCS or tacos?

You know the answer.

• Haha 3

Your answer is in the Coleco Chameleon thread, which petered out after the story ended. 

This thread gets gets pretty sleepy in between "news events" surrounding "Atari VCS." The most recent flurry was after they got themselves banned from moderating the dedicated sub-Reddit because of bad behavior. They seem to be holding off on making new Medium updates, probably because they haven't much to say. 

They have 120 days until their next self-imposed backer delivery deadline of December 2019, assuming they don't delay again. No other software besides AtariVault has been named with any specificity. 

Once the thing releases, we'll get off on a couple mean reviews. It will take OUYA's place as the butt of jokes about bad consoles, and after a while, it will be forgotten. Arzt, Moak, and Wyatt will become even more camera shy than they are now. Fred might still talk about "VCS" in controlled places like we have seen with Fox Business News. 

PONGF's stock price will be unaffected either way, because licensed T-shirts sales will continue. 

• Like 5

On 8/30/2019 at 7:45 AM, MrBeefy said:

I like how he says one of OUR competitors. Poor John is in deep. If they go belly up someone will need to do a wellness check on him.

To late me thinks Beefy.  Darth Phelan turned to the dark side along time ago!

darthphelanunmasked.jpg.ccc0298bd1ffc312a526c6363ef10654.jpg

On 8/31/2019 at 12:57 AM, JBerel said:

Who, for Yars sake and all that's holy, do these moronic jacklegs honestly think is their competition????? Please, please, please enlighten us. 

cardboardconsole.jpg.751f2f3e341bce2b393fbbcb7616466b.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Shawn said:

So what do you guys think will happen first, This thread hits 1k pages or the TacoBox gets released?

I think this thread will get there first. I see another delay coming and that alone will give us something to roast them over for a few pages while we wait for 2049.

Has anyone seen any evidence they have progressed beyond this point? Their "Story" page on IndieGoGo still says, "The project team has a working demo, not the final product. Their ability to begin production may be affected by product development or financial challenges." Perhaps they've gotten a bit farther behind the scenes, but Arzt has failed to updated them on their progress?  Even so, that doesn't inspire much confidence. 

Oh, and they've scrubbed the original timeline graphic from the IGG page, naturally. 

0 delivery timeline.jpg

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TACODON said:

I'm fairly certain the IGG page is abandoned at this point.

Sure, they say as much, and redirect people to atarivcs.com, which has a lot less detail. But don't they owe something to the backers on the IGG page? Also note that the page is still set up to take "contributions" (default amount $100) and I'll bet you a dozen tacos they wouldn't refuse any offerings made there. 

There's been nothing mentioned publicly since their hotel room atari vcs demo back in early June. One can argue that also provided nothing new. They just showed the same mock up 3d printouts and played somebody else's linux game on a full size PC in a black case. They supposedly also showed what their GUI menu will look like, but with their track record, that was probably all on a Windows box from Dell. Their paranoia about the media even taking pictures tends to support that. Even if it was running on some variant of an AMD board, it was not remotely representative of anything they propose to cram into one of their plastic cases that they can't produce in quantity, or even in a finished form factor yet. 

Honestly, if they had any assembly line work going on with the plastic cases, or even a board remotely resembling the form factor to fit inside one, do you think they would hold that back?? These clowns would be screaming from the rooftops with them after doing a cheap photoshop on them to obscure any identifiable information. Remember what they did to obscure their ebay special AMD dev board from 2-4 years prior? Chinese new year will add another 6 week hole into any best laid plans for releasing anything by March, if, and it's a huge if, they are even at a point of contemplating actual molding and assembly. I think it's a stretch to assume they are even at the contracting and final design phase. They're probably still dicking around with pencil drawings or buying tropical drinks with backer funds stuffed under their mattress on an island. I could be wrong, but to my recollection, the only actual evidence of work shown to date that could not be considered fraudulent are the 3D printed plastic bits which anyone could to with a 3D artist which they obviously have had since their first "sizzle/tease reel" from the beginning.  

• Like 10

46 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

Sure, they say as much, and redirect people to atarivcs.com, which has a lot less detail. But don't they owe something to the backers on the IGG page? Also note that the page is still set up to take "contributions" (default amount $100) and I'll bet you a dozen tacos they wouldn't refuse any offerings made there. 

If I recall I think they even said someplace that they would not be using the IGG page anymore and to refer to other sources for news... blah blah blah...

I am sure though that they will be happy to take donations. I even wonder how many they have gotten?

I'd turn them into IGG again but I feel like at this point it would just be a waste of time.

1 hour ago, Flojomojo said:

Oh, and they've scrubbed the original timeline graphic from the IGG page, naturally. 

This is figuratively criminal, and should be literally criminal.

The earliest archive.org of the campaign is 08/29/18-- a couple months after the campaign-proper ended.  Even as such, it's vastly different than the current page stands.  

I like this part:

Our engineers have been testing Atari VCS with a wide variety of new and classic games and game types and it has been going very well. Here are some behind-the-scenes examples*:

08/29/18, coincidentally, was the Hands-Down-the-Pants summit where the "Atari VCS" was some giant, generic AMD test board:  

1*pDTKwqwi47yAzinse2Mq6g.jpeg

• Haha 2