IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Meanwhile, in other missed opportunities... Apple kicked off their Apple Arcade service, and there are a few familiar names in there: Sega, Bandai/Namco, Capcom, Konami...

atariless-arcade.thumb.jpg.003d834aba5b3ce67ce71d7859d73c13.jpg

But no Atari. Unless of course their logo is behind the lady standing on stage. But those don't look like Atari's logo, and surely Atari would've mentioned such a lucrative partnership in one of their many frequent, fan-centric, helpful, communicative updates.

So, it doesn't look like Atari is on board. But that's okay, because of course Atari is planning to dominate the living room with their console/not console/linux computer/raspberry pi/Netflix/shoebox/retro uh... thing... and they don't need to partner with one of the most valuable companies in the world to help peddle awesome IP like Centipede and 3D Tic-Taco-Toe.

Nope. Atari can make their own console. Atari will have their own online store, or service, or something. And no self-respecting, iconic, video game company with their own hardware platform would ever partner with the likes of Apple...

oh-right-and-those-guys-too.thumb.jpg.5b22e3c9c145a89af59f5e4d7e32ccef.jpg

That would just be stupid.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

That was probably me. I agree that this is not how you do it, but my assumption is that they thought it'd be a brilliant way to create perceived value, as they could tout millions collected in pre-orders and who like Microsoft or Apple or Google wouldn't even blink at spending a few million to own the Atari name? Fred mentions at almost every investor meeting (that I've seen a record of) getting bought out. It's definitely something the guy is occupied with

Well, as he's so desperate to sell, I call first dibs ...

20190925_204449.jpg

• Like 4

5 hours ago, PlaysWithWolves said:

The news spreads.

WhereThePDivides, you can pick up your free tacos at the front desk:

https://www.pcgamesn.com/atari-vcs-update-2019

These journalists really need to pick up the slack and mention the only place that really matters for VCS discussion, and that's the mightiest of taco threads.

tenor.gif

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

30 minutes ago, digdugnate said:

The VCS Supporters on FB are always good for a laugh.

I can't think of another time where there were this many people as excited by the prospect of buying soon-to-be-four-year-old hardware.  Of course, the hardware is only four years old if it turns up next year - which, given the past two-plus years of effort on behalf of Atari SA, is a crapshoot.

PLZ 2 TAKE MAH MONEYZ 4 BARELY-ADEQUATE FUTAR COMPUTARZ NAO, KTHXPLZ

Edited by x=usr(1536)
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, digdugnate said:

The VCS Supporters on FB are always good for a laugh.

1413399415_ScreenShot2019-09-25at12_55_30PM.png.622ac658e29069fc1e23bdb8447cb699.png

Stefan should know that Lucas wrote the exact same comment on The Register's article. But that would take some brain power to figure out, I suppose. 

The Register is simply alarming consumers/potential buyers to the facts that Atari SA has some pretty damning stuff to answer for. Just blowing them off as trolls because they back up their uncomfortable facts with humor doesn't change the fact that Atari lies to it's most rabid fans and has broken a whole slew of promises to VCS backers.

But boy oh boy will Lucas and Stefan show us up when they eventually get their $400 Atari Vault playing machines in 2022.

• Like 2

It appears as though the, "hey, Atari SA, got anything to say to this?" article from El Reg is still up on the Atari VCS Offal subreddit.  Nine-plus hours; seems to be a record for a less-than-complimentary post on their forum.

Of course, nobody from Atari SA has actually acknowledged it.  But at least they haven't tried to pull a Stalin on it yet.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

It appears as though the, "hey, Atari SA, got anything to say to this?" article from El Reg is still up on the Atari VCS Offal subreddit.  Nine-plus hours; seems to be a record for a less-than-complimentary post on their forum.

Of course, nobody from Atari SA has actually acknowledged it.  But at least they haven't tried to pull a Stalin on it yet.

Live from Atari SA today:

tenor.gif?itemid=5054709

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

20 hours ago, AtariNerd said:

"

Time to check in again on the Atari retro console… dear God, it’s actually got worse

Pro tip: When you’re removed as a Reddit moderator, you may want to review your life choices

By Kieren McCarthy in San Francisco

25th September 2019 05:02 GMT

https://www.theregister.co.uk/AMP/2019/09/25/atari_retro_console/?fbclid=IwAR18YAQFnSKUThz5mHz68AcjI3yOBavrDv4ubNRQRjjj6mn8wvuXc5x_j80

Funny how the defenders are writing this article off as hate. Yeah, they sound a little bitter, but what untruths are there in this article?

I tried to create an account to reply to one comment there that grabbed my attention but never got the verification email. So, apropos of nothing, here's my reply to "why is Rob Wyatt staying silent if he's parted ways?" ... First, I wager the guy was never an Atari employee. Tin Giant was probably a contractor. Didn't they say they don't hire that they outsource everything? If so then he wasn't let go. He didn't leave. It'd just be a contract that went dormant. So he picked up work on this Gameboard thing. Maybe he's silent because he's waiting on a re-up or maybe he's got some outstanding invoices that need settling. Either way, good luck with that, Rob!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, JaqenHghar said:

Funny how the defenders are writing this article off as hate. Yeah, they sound a little bitter, but what untruths are there in this article?

I tried to create an account to reply to one comment there that grabbed my attention but never got the verification email. So, apropos of nothing, here's my reply to "why is Rob Wyatt staying silent if he's parted ways?" ... First, I wager the guy was never an Atari employee. Tin Giant was probably a contractor. Didn't they say they don't hire that they outsource everything? If so then he wasn't let go. He didn't leave. It'd just be a contract that went dormant. So he picked up work on this Gameboard thing. Maybe he's silent because he's waiting on a re-up or maybe he's got some outstanding invoices that need settling. Either way, good luck with that, Rob!

I would guess he got it to shoebox stage and his contract was up. I'm sure he's under a NDA hence why he isn't talking.