IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

2 hours ago, jhd said:

Could it be a strange currency conversion issue? Since Antstream Arcade is a British company, they presumably do their accounting in Pounds (or Euros) rather than US Dollars. 

I'd agree with you on that possibility, but given that Atari SA posted all of the figures in (presumably) US Dollars, the maths should have followed.

What you're getting at makes total sense, but having grown up having to calculate between US Dollars, two different kinds of pounds, and occasionally other currencies...  It doesn't seem plausible.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, OldSchoolRetroGamer said:

By Goochman, June 9, 2017 in Atari 2600   ?

Does Goochman even still visit this thread? I sometimes think, man, could you have possibly thought this thread would evolve into 

the 850+ pages of Taco Goodness? When will it end? HOW will it end? ?

Come on guys, we can make it to 1000! o u o

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, OldSchoolRetroGamer said:

By Goochman, June 9, 2017 in Atari 2600   ?

Does Goochman even still visit this thread? I sometimes think, man, could you have possibly thought this thread would evolve into 

the 850+ pages of Taco Goodness? When will it end? HOW will it end? ?

Mark my words, it will all end in tears. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, aramis said:

In my experience, "a couple of months" is a real fast-track effort for EMC work, especially when you consider the time to get a quote, get on the schedule for the test agency's EMC chamber, and then wait (typically 4-8 weeks) for the final report to come back. The Product Safety testing has its own independent timeline.

Depending on the type of testing/certs required (the products I work with would be in a whole different category, so I can't say for sure), they may be able to do a full set of testing once, and then have various certificates (for different regions / countries) written against that one set of test data. That can save time. I believe that some countries still require a sample to be sent and testing to be done in-country, though.

We own our emc chamber and a couple months is still a fast track and nothing as complex as a computer 

Even if it passes everything and works perfectly on development board(s) they still have a steep hill to climb to produce anything in quantity ... Should be interesting to see how this floats

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Lodmot said:

Actually I was wondering about this too-- what's their testing/QA procedure for this thing? They need to make sure these consoles don't set on fire when people plug them in/start doing heavy gaming on them (or what would constitute as "heavy gaming" on an AMD Ryzen).

Converse shoeboxes have holes in them should be good for ventilation. I think you will be fine. Question is will it be warm enough to keep tacos warm?

• Like 3

Everything seen today backs up my original view that Atari never actually intended to produce the 'Box themselves, and had been waiting for a buyer to scoop them up and assume the burden of fulfillment.  Both the hardware and software announcements reek of "We just grabbed something now, today, because we've done no work on this for the past two years."

I think the media attention and possible legal issues are pushing them to get something, anything, out the door.  What the Frenchies aren't counting on is, like everyone has said, even with hardware and software lined up, there are still many things that could go wrong.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, joeatari1 said:

So any ideas as to what the extra blue switch is on the back of the board?  Seems to be set back from the edge of the board.  Master reset?  Self destruct button?  Hidden button for ordering tacos??

Channel 2/3 select button.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, digdugnate said:

what in the everloving hell, lol.  That's fine there, Joe, I'm playing video games that are out NOW on consoles that EXIST.

Atari VCS 2... bwhahahahaha!  Ask Biff- it's already called the VCS II.

It will be fun to set the VCS next to an Xbox One S, or Switch in handheld mode and watch both of those platforms just decimate the VCS. Much less the PS4Pro/XBX or decent PC rig.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, digdugnate said:

what in the everloving hell, lol.  That's fine there, Joe, I'm playing video games that are out NOW on consoles that EXIST.

Atari VCS 2... bwhahahahaha!  Ask Biff- it's already called the VCS II.

Yeah, I had to leave the group after that.  I mean, it's not like I didn't go there expecting a shitshow to begin with, but that was the post that broke the camel's back.  Holy fuck.  

"Greatest gaming hardware to be released to date."  Okay.  Maybe Xbox One X sales WILL plummet when this is released and people can finally play Borderlands 2 at 30fps?

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, OverMuch said:

"Greatest gaming hardware to be released to date."  Okay.  Maybe Xbox One X sales WILL plummet when this is released and people can finally play Borderlands 2 at 30fps?

The VCS will be truly retro and make you have to play games like Borderlands 2 in a tiny window to achieve 30 FPS. Price without the power!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Osgeld said:

We own our emc chamber and a couple months is still a fast track and nothing as complex as a computer 

Even if it passes everything and works perfectly on development board(s) they still have a steep hill to climb to produce anything in quantity ... Should be interesting to see how this floats

2ycvhm.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CPUWIZ said:

This thing can display a lot of tacos.  Or render tears.

tinkernuts-raspberry-pi-video-gu.jpg

4 hours ago, Tidus79001 said:

- Full version of Windows 10 x86/x64 or Linux x86/x64 distro  vs a custom ARM based OS

- Not an ARM CPU like a Raspberry Pi that has limited processing power

- AMD graphics as vs limited graphical capabilities of an Arm based SoC

For me this is the perfect retro gaming emulation device and is going to be a nice and flexible solution for playing all those old games on my TV.

The specs on the Atari VCS blow away any of the Raspberry Pi models.   My reasons as stated above and the better specs on the Atari VCS make Raspberry Pi a very unappealing alternative.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tidus79001 said:

The specs on the Atari VCS blow away any of the Raspberry Pi models.   My reasons as stated above and the better specs on the Atari VCS make Raspberry Pi a very unappealing alternative.

Honestly dude, I've been driven to the point where I don't really care about this thing anymore... I've long ago accepted that I might not even see anything at my doorstep this December. My $400 or whatever the hell it was is gone now. But, if I do get some kind of product-- then it will be a pleasant surprise. And it will be a nifty little gadget I can mess around with and customize to my own liking and use case.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Lodmot said:

Honestly dude, I've been driven to the point where I don't really care about this thing anymore... I've long ago accepted that I might not even see anything at my doorstep this December. My $400 or whatever the hell it was is gone now. But, if I do get some kind of product-- then it will be a pleasant surprise. And it will be a nifty little gadget I can mess around with and customize to my own liking and use case.

That is why I haven't been following this thread on a regular basis.  This isn't much of value to be learned in this thread and listening to people trolling and pissing & moaning is not a productive use of my time.

Edited by Tidus79001
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2