IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

6 minutes ago, Lodmot said:

Dude I'd actually be really fascinated to watch a documentary of the behind-the-scenes of making the new Atari VCS. That would be quite a story to hear. xD

Just as long as they include all the deleted scenes and actual interviews. Otherwise it would probably be incredibly short with a lot of space filler and fluff.

• Like 1

The AtariVCSii, what went into the box? A retrospective.

Day 17 - We begin our social marketing presence.

tenor.gif?itemid=9813543

Day 196 - We reach our funding goal!

2f048f143a9e66d83e6672d14268ed5a.gif

Day 226 - We offer our first backer update.

ConstantYoungArcticwolf-size_restricted.

Day 276- Our first major press event!

AbandonedGenerousJapanesebeetle-max-1mb.

Day 324- Backer meanies post questions and observations.

02pgK67.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

11 minutes ago, JBerel said:

The AtariVCSii, what went into the box? A retrospective.

Day 17 - We begin our social marketing presence.

tenor.gif?itemid=9813543

Day 196 - We reach our funding goal!

2f048f143a9e66d83e6672d14268ed5a.gif

Day 226 - We offer our first backer update.

ConstantYoungArcticwolf-size_restricted.

Day 276- Our first major press event!

AbandonedGenerousJapanesebeetle-max-1mb.

Day 324- Backer meanies post questions and observations.

02pgK67.gif

Truly one of my favorite Steve Martin flicks- though I think someone needs to hand the Atari Social Media minion Ruprecht's fork every time they post on Twitter, Facebook, or Reddit.

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

Hey you know how AntStream is $96 per year, to play Spectrum and Commodore games over the wire?

But "Atari" is not competing with those guys, it is doing its own thing. #write-down 

Well here's Atari's own thang...  https://venturebeat.com/2019/09/29/atari-antstream-arcade-to-bring-thousands-of-retro-games-to-atari-vcs-console/

So now instead of getting Atari Vault or even getting to buy their 2600 titles we have to have a subscription just to play their games instead?

?‍♂️

4 minutes ago, MrMaddog said:

Well here's Atari's own thang...  https://venturebeat.com/2019/09/29/atari-antstream-arcade-to-bring-thousands-of-retro-games-to-atari-vcs-console/

So now instead of getting Atari Vault or even getting to buy their 2600 titles we have to have a subscription just to play their games instead?

?‍♂️

Funny you should say that ... go back about 10 pages, there's lots of discussion by "Atari's" social media intern trying to explain that Atari Vault is still included, and works offline, and the AntStream subscription is optional. It's hilarious they never message tested that anywhere. 

Speaking of bad communication, this Michael Arzt quote from the link you sent made me laugh. Hey Mike, say that 10 times fast!

“If you are an Atari fan, the best way to experience Antstream and Atari on Antstream is through the Antstream app on Atari VCS,” Arzt said. “It’s an exciting collection and it is going to be pretty comprehensive.”

giphy.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, MrMaddog said:

?‍♂️

Nah you still get Vault offline. Its the additional 50 games.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flojomojo said:

Funny you should say that ... go back about 10 pages, there's lots of discussion by "Atari's" social media intern trying to explain that Atari Vault is still included, and works offline, and the AntStream subscription is optional. It's hilarious they never message tested that anywhere. 

Speaking of bad communication, this Michael Arzt quote from the link you sent made me laugh. Hey Mike, say that 10 times fast!

giphy.gif

51BqOT4PwWL.jpg

• Like 3

My 7-year old daughter loves playing Atari with me. After we had tacos for dinner, she discovered she can kick my arse in Combat when I'm the Big Red Bomber and she the three Green Spads. She also loves Warlords and Ice Hockey and I was thinking of how to up our game. I am debating about getting Medieval Mayhem for her for Christmas, but with the AtariVCS coming out at the end of the year, my question is this: should I get that instead? Will it have paddle controllers? I'm afraid we won't be able to have tacos at family game night for awhile if I splurge and pick this thing up. What do y'all think?

• Haha 3

48 minutes ago, JasperAK said:

My 7-year old daughter loves playing Atari with me. After we had tacos for dinner, she discovered she can kick my arse in Combat when I'm the Big Red Bomber and she the three Green Spads. She also loves Warlords and Ice Hockey and I was thinking of how to up our game. I am debating about getting Medieval Mayhem for her for Christmas, but with the AtariVCS coming out at the end of the year, my question is this: should I get that instead? Will it have paddle controllers? I'm afraid we won't be able to have tacos at family game night for awhile if I splurge and pick this thing up. What do y'all think?

If you want her to learn the lesson of disappointment early on in life, by all means put in that Ataribollocks(tm) pre-order.

• Haha 4

On September 30, 2019 at 8:27 PM, Tidus79001 said:

That is why I haven't been following this thread on a regular basis.  This isn't much of value to be learned in this thread and listening to people trolling and pissing & moaning is not a productive use of my time.

logical.png

I can poke fun at Atari SA, but too many jokes have been made about their supporters. Anyone can be fooled, even you or me. And no one has any reason to believe a person they've never heard of, especially on the Internet.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

I think if you have to ask, you don't need it. It won't be out for months in the best case. You should just get this instead. 

I have the 9 Gold HD, and I put a whole mess of hacked games and stuff on it. Shit, I hacked the colors in Ice Hockey and have Pittsburgh vs. about half-a-dozen different teams. The white, black, and yellow look awesome. I love my flashback but the stupid atgames fuckers still don't have paddles for it (at least last time I checked). With all the bullshit going on with them, I doubt I'll ever see them. So through all this, it sits in an ammo case (for traveling) while we play my beloved Vader. She loves using the carts though. One day I think I may get a Harmony cart to just play stuff like Subterranea and my hacked games on the Vader. Shoot, she loved making her own sprite for Space Invaders that looked like a guy with a gun. Cool as shit. But maybe it would be cool to play Atari on a 50" flat instead of a 24" CRT. Damn, I think I'm going to try and earn the patch for H.E.R.O.. Screw the 9th level.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JasperAK said:

For a 10th of the price get a raspberry pi and install retropie. Paddle games could be a problem but I think you could use a Stellaptor for those. Someone would need to confirm that. But I've had mine playing Draconian before. Get a tinker board that can play all the Vault games at a much cheaper price so you can still have taco night.

And if you felt like playing other systems you could add those too.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JasperAK said:

Point of clarification - the AtariVCS is not coming out at the end of the year. Atari claims it will launch in March 2020. If any do ship this year, those are only if you were an early backer:

Clipboard02.jpg

Get Medieval Mayhem instead. There is nothing quite as cool as getting a new 2600 cartridge for Christmas. It's a fantastic game. Great for parties.

If really you want to play Atari games on an HD console, get one of these. Put the latest version of this on it. Load the SD card up with ROMs. Buy one of these (and this) for connecting your paddles. Boom. Done. Out the door for around $100. Plenty of cash left for tacos, and it has the side benefit of actually existing.

Edited by Nathan Strum
Added link for latest RetroN77 build
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/1/2019 at 4:40 AM, Tidus79001 said:
On 9/30/2019 at 9:13 PM, Tidus79001 said:

Personally I am excited about this new console and looking forward to receiving mine.

On 9/30/2019 at 9:50 PM, racerx said:

I'm actually going to put the snark away for a moment and genuinely ask, "Why?"

- Full version of Windows 10 x86/x64 or Linux x86/x64 distro  vs a custom ARM based OS

- Not an ARM CPU like a Raspberry Pi that has limited processing power

- AMD graphics as vs limited graphical capabilities of an Arm based SoC

On 9/30/2019 at 9:54 PM, Tidus79001 said:

Even if it does fail I will be ok with that as I my other intended use for the console will be booting into Windows or Linux and using those OS'es to run any video game emulator I want.  Having a system that interfaces easily with my TV and those 2 Atari VCS controllers (classics and modern) is going to make playing old school games a joy.  Best to have another usage scenario for the console and I do certainly have mine and it will fit the bill well.

For me this is the perfect retro gaming emulation device and is going to be a nice and flexible solution for playing all those old games on my TV

Tidus, if I may make an observation and ask some questions?  Just honestly shooting the shit, as I'm genuinely curious to hear from certain backers perspectives (such as your own).   I'm obviously covering ground that has been flogged to death on our thread, but it's needed to answer my simple queries.

Your stating you want the VCS for retro gaming and to be more powerfull that a Pi.  Great.  Do you own a laptop?  If not, then my answer won't be as relevant as what I'm enquiring, however still could be.  If you do, why don't you just HDMI plug your lappy into your TV, set it up with any OS you like, then set-up all your retro emulators to your hearts content.  By a USB to DB9 adapater (as an adapter example.  Not expensive) and use original controllers for an original feel.  Or, buy a good quality retro styled bluetooth gamepad, like the awesome 8bitdo N30 or F30 pro's.  More powerfull and a completely open ended (sandbox) set-up, without spending $300 on the VCS.

If you don't have a laptop, again you can get some kickass little lappys for $300 and under, which again would be better than what Atari SA are stating, at this time.  Oh, and upgradeable.

I could maybe understand getting the "unconsole", if it was a console competing with the other big boys and had exclusives, including the other niceties and niches of the big consoles, but for a use to play retro games is just so confusing.  Did you expect more from the Atacobox VCS, but have now resigned to the fact that it's not, so you'll just use it for retro fillanderings?

With that in mind, surely you can understand why this thread is 850+ pages.  If the VCS was real (after 2 years), running , showing huge potential, with exclusives and something different to other systems or at least on par or more ... this thread may still be 850+ pages, likely praising Freddy and the teams efforts, definately throwing around innocent memes and jabs at others and ourselves, people getting pulled into line (Dah.  It is the interwebs ;)) definately throwing up debate, indepth chat on the company itself and its finances .. yadda yadda.  What's your answer on why so many pigeons backers are defending Atari SA so vehemently, after all this time?

Cheers.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1