IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

1 minute ago, Lodmot said:

I noticed that too about the missing 2nd blue switch. I'm still curious what that's actually going to be for. Best I could tell, it seems like when the whole unit is together, that switch would be accessible through one of the vent holes. It's probably just a reset switch though, lol.

I see what you're getting at, but the switch is in the wrong orientation to be operated from above - it's designed to be accessed from the back of the case on the new PCB.

Given the differences in board layouts, this could also involve some retooling of the cases unless the plan is to make some ugly post-production modifications.

None of it adds up to the E3 hardware matching what was shown earlier this week.  Sure, hardware gets revised as part of its development process, but it appears as though the changes we're seeing here are fairly significant.  They're also ones that should have been accounted for months ago.

• Like 1

Forgot to post this yesterday.  Much of it rehashes things we already know, but the parts involving investors and cashflow are mildly intriguing.

I'm not taking what he says at 100% face value simply because I can neither prove nor disprove his statements, but they are interesting.

• Like 1

I'm no fan of the un-console...but it looks to me that the fan is blowing across a heatsink that is sitting on top of the cpu. I built an AtariBox pi case as a goof last year...and trust me there is not enough height inside that case for a typical HSF set-up. You can see the mounting screws to the right of the fan. They also have shielding in place over the board...I see no reason to doubt that there is a pcb under; but I bet the board was unpopulated, probably an early sample. If I am to go to the trouble of producing a clear case I would want to showcase the parts. You can see the IO popping up through it though...so at least those parts were soldered in place. Having the shielding in place is a weird choice and would be a red flag for a journalist. Any excuse about secrecy would be a joke...there is nothing special about this hardware...unless that is why they wanted to keep secret. The utter blandness of it.

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Forgot to post this yesterday.  Much of it rehashes things we already know, but the parts involving investors and cashflow are mildly intriguing.

I'm not taking what he says at 100% face value simply because I can neither prove nor disprove his statements, but they are interesting.

I don’t like this video and feel like it’s just clickbait for him. It’s actually kind of stressful since he clearly doesn’t know what’s he’s talking about. Of course the RAM is on the underside, this has already been pointed out by multiple examples from others in this thread and can easily be found elsewhere. 

As far as fast prototyping goes, I see nothing wrong with using AskPCB. Why would anyone in their right mind spend upwards of 10 times the cost to get the same prototype board when it can be done for a fraction of the cost. This is just the reality of the world we live in today and doesn’t seem questionable. And seriously, who the hell goes through all that trouble to fabricate not only a fake board but one that simply just wouldn’t work? At least not intentionally so. This isn’t rocket science, it’s just an ultra small ITX-like PC motherboard with integrated APU. One that isn’t very powerful mind you, but never the less. 

What doesn't make sense is their somewhat silence about the board as a whole and diversion into far less important news items. No one cares about the stupid subscription service, everyone just wants to see a working board at very least already and they’re pussy footing around. Maybe it doesn’t work but most likely it does or will. I would bet they’re at a point to where they have to figure out the interface now and how to pony something together to show a working demo. Not to mention the likelihood of a custom heatsink, though something off the shelf surely exists that would work even if you couldn’t manage to fit it into the case just for the sole purpose of proving the damn thing powers on. 

Their lack of transparency is inexcusable and still doesn’t take away from the fact that something is amiss. 

Edited by Clint Thompson
apu
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Clint Thompson said:

I do like to be proven wrong, however. Especially in cases.... like this.

Or cases ... like this.

Spoiler

Screen_Shot_2016-03-08_at_2_16.08_PM.0.0.png.thumb.jpeg.a3d07d47aff37767a0c982c392f9abbb.jpeg

24 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

He sure is LOUD, which I suppose counts for something in the land of YouTube ya-yas. 

DONOTWANT_doggy.jpg.7fb3a0b24a161760f5a8058a4002e070.jpg

• Like 7

Man, dude..... the fucking "Coleco Chameleon"... That was horrible. At least the Atari VCS seems like it could still be a real thing... It will suck like a steaming pile of goat shit, sure, but I'm 60% confident I'll get a final product delivered to my doorstep around Christmas time... That's more than anyone can say about the Chameleon, lol.

Edited by Lodmot

45 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

Or cases ... like this.

Reveal hidden contents

Screen_Shot_2016-03-08_at_2_16.08_PM.0.0.png.thumb.jpeg.a3d07d47aff37767a0c982c392f9abbb.jpeg

He sure is LOUD, which I suppose counts for something in the land of YouTube ya-yas. 

DONOTWANT_doggy.jpg.7fb3a0b24a161760f5a8058a4002e070.jpg

That’s the new trend for most gaming YouTube channels these days. Be LOUD. Be NEGATIVE and ANGRY (this is the most important part because gamers prefer complaining over playing video games). Rehash the same things for a little over 10 minutes so you can still monetize the video. Oh, and don’t forget to doctor a lame, clickbait-y thumbnail

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, The Strangest said:

That’s the new trend for most gaming YouTube channels these days. Be LOUD. Be NEGATIVE and ANGRY (this is the most important part because gamers prefer complaining over playing video games). Rehash the same things for a little over 10 minutes so you can still monetize the video. Oh, and don’t forget to doctor a lame, clickbait-y thumbnail

You left out, making videos of you reading a news article :)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Regarding the "white board in the clear shell", I think it's pretty obvious that it wasn't a PCB...just bare board material, used to physically lay out components. No circuits.

Pic from E3 attached...

E3_pic.jpg

...larger original is in this article HERE

Edited by aramis
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, aramis said:

Regarding the "white board in the clear shell", I think it's pretty obvious that it wasn't a PCB...just bare board material, used to physically lay out components. No circuits.

Pic from E3 attached...

E3_pic.jpg

Yeah, it's very possible that's all it was.

I just used the other over-head picture of the clear shell because that was the most clear picture I could find of the insides. o w o

3 minutes ago, Lodmot said:

Yeah, it's very possible that's all it was.

I just used the other over-head picture of the clear shell because that was the most clear picture I could find of the insides. o w o

Between the front and rear views, it's clear that it was a non-working prototype.

RCbBtVL.jpg

Edited by x=usr(1536)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Lodmot said:

Man, dude..... the fucking "Coleco Chameleon"... That was horrible. At least the Atari VCS seems like it could still be a real thing... It will suck like a steaming pile of goat shit, sure, but I'm 60% confident I'll get a final product delivered to my doorstep around Christmas time... That's more than anyone can say about the Chameleon, lol.

I'd guess you're just a bit too confident. Your percentage of success is probably one digit off.  

Remove the 6.

• Like 2

If their crowdfunding numbers are genuine, (big if) conservatively, 5-10 thousand units. The question is how many plastic boxes can be produced by December while the Chinese plants are closed for National Day this week, and again for 3 weeks for Chinese New Year? Plus ya gotta figure the holiday production rushes that began some time back. They also have assembly, testing, regulatory compliance, boxing and shipping from overseas. In all seriousness, figure all that, and they'd need all the boxes produced in about 3 weeks......from last April. 

Unless one buys the tripe that they have all kind of finished and working components they are sitting on but keeping secret, it's a foregone conclusion that they will not ship to all backers by December, and nearly certain it won't be March either. There are no other scenarios, so if you expect delivery on time, they must have quantity of working hardware already. They're just keeping it all secret.

In addition to games and developer info they promised "later this summer", they were also going to update everyone on their trip to China to talk to manufacturers or some such rot. None of that ever materialized. If that was, as is typical, to select a manufacturing plant and sign contracts, then this thing is over a year out still if it's even that far along. This has Gameband written all over it.

Edited by JBerel
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Late edit: they're not the same board.  The standoff spacing on the PCBs doesn't match up, and there should be PCB visible between the rear panel where the USB, HDMI, etc. connectors are located and the ducting since the connectors are hard-mounted to the new PCB.  There isn't any board to be seen in that space.  They aren't the same thing; any comparisons between the two are invalid.

Didn't actually see this last part until now.

Mind pointing out where the differences are? I checked those two pictures pretty thoroughly and the standoffs/screw holes/etc. seemed to match right up. Not saying you're wrong, but I'm just curious where you're seeing those differences. 

59 minutes ago, Lodmot said:

Didn't actually see this last part until now.

Mind pointing out where the differences are? I checked those two pictures pretty thoroughly and the standoffs/screw holes/etc. seemed to match right up. Not saying you're wrong, but I'm just curious where you're seeing those differences. 

image.png.760ad4e25a2660b84e995724f8c1e59b.png

• Like 2