IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

4 hours ago, The Strangest said:

That’s the new trend for most gaming YouTube channels these days. Be LOUD. Be NEGATIVE and ANGRY (this is the most important part because gamers prefer complaining over playing video games). Rehash the same things for a little over 10 minutes so you can still monetize the video. Oh, and don’t forget to doctor a lame, clickbait-y thumbnail

It's one of the reasons I stopped. Cant compete with clickbait and I refuse to do it. Glad there are those like no swear game who fills the void for those of us who just like simple and fun videos about old video games

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Lodmot said:

Didn't actually see this last part until now.

Mind pointing out where the differences are? I checked those two pictures pretty thoroughly and the standoffs/screw holes/etc. seemed to match right up. Not saying you're wrong, but I'm just curious where you're seeing those differences. 

The mounting holes for the fan on the new PCB are located around the APU, as expected.  If you look at where those would line up on the case (use the ports on the PCB to line it up with the mounting holes for the ports on the rear of the case), they'd offset the new PCB significantly from where everything is currently laid out inside the case.  This would leave the standoffs for the PCB itself in locations that are currently (in part) covered by the ducting.

It's a moot point, though - the photos taken of the front and rear of the case show that there's no PCB in it.  Everything inside of it is purely figurative.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AtariLeaf said:

It's one of the reasons I stopped. Cant compete with clickbait and I refuse to do it. Glad there are those like no swear game who fills the void for those of us who just like simple and fun videos about old video games

If I had a classic video game YouTube channel, it would be super chill, like Bob Ross' Joy of Painting. No mistakes, just happy accidents. Look at all those happy little cartridges. It would be so wholesome and nobody would watch it. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

25 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

If I had a classic video game YouTube channel, it would be super chill, like Bob Ross' Joy of Painting. No mistakes, just happy accidents. Look at all those happy little cartridges. It would be so wholesome and nobody would watch it. 

I'd totally watch that. Bob Ross is mesmerizing. Great cure for insomnia. 

Gotta have the afro though, or it won't work.

"Happy little tacos."

Yeah.

happy-little-tacos.thumb.jpg.b627df18d73743be2e8dd04f0a2e45f5.jpg

(This already existed... because of course it did.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 9

6 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Between the front and rear views, it's clear that it was a non-working prototype.

RCbBtVL.jpg

They were just testing out how well a Raspberry Pi will fit in the case so that when the lawsuits start flying, they can just ship that out and say - here is all we were promising, a console that can stream games down from the internet to play Atari Classics.   Now excuse us while we walk away with the other $275 we made from your $300 purchase and shipped you a $25 system that you could've bought already back in 2017

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

On 10/2/2019 at 8:19 AM, Lodmot said:

In fairness to @Tidus79001, I've connected my gaming laptop to my TV on a few different occasions-- it's still remarkable how awkward it actually is trying to find room for the laptop to comfortably sit on an entertainment unit without hanging over the edge, since a laptop often is a bit wide in its length and width. Also, the HDMI port and power adapter are almost always on the side, making things even more awkward in terms of cable management... And then mucking about with the power settings in Windows so the laptop screen doesn't take over as the primary screen, or the thing doesn't suspend on you, and so on... The Atari VCS, while still going to be a spectacular failure and deserves all the ridiculing it's getting, is at least an interesting piece of hardware and is also purposefully designed as a device for your TV. 

I actually like the idea of a gaming PC in a console form-factor (and I've said this before). It's just that a more competent company needs to do it and actually market the damn thing better. I personally think it would've been cool to see Sega try this, especially since in recent years Sega have been focusing more on PC anyway.

Exactly.  I want a proper solution that isn't a laptop.  It is the right solution for me and I respect that it might not be the solution for others.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Curt Vendel said:

They were just testing out how well a Raspberry Pi will fit in the case so that when the lawsuits start flying, they can just ship that out and say - here is all we were promising, a console that can stream games down from the internet to play Atari Classics.   Now excuse us while we walk away with the other $275 we made from your $300 purchase and shipped you a $25 system that you could've bought already back in 2017

See I may have an unpopular opinion. I think the board works. I think it will boot up and can handle things fine.

However, I think their problem is with their OS. I think they don't have a working OS that isn't based off something like ES like Atari Dude's Atacoshoebox. That would be why they still are not showing it boot. Being dumb about not showing the RAM is just them making a stupid mistake. Remember don't even ask about graphics...

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

See I may have an unpopular opinion. I think the board works. I think it will boot up and can handle things fine.

However, I think their problem is with their OS. I think they don't have a working OS that isn't based off something like ES like Atari Dude's Atacoshoebox. That would be why they still are not showing it boot. Being dumb about not showing the RAM is just them making a stupid mistake. Remember don't even ask about graphics...

I have a strange feeling you hit the nail on the head there-- I also don't believe they have a functional OS yet.

Personally I actually always liked the look and layout of the mock-up GUI they showed off, even if it was fake/just a mock-up:

Related image

Edited by Lodmot

2 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

However, I think their problem is with their OS.

I agree, its really not THAT hard to make even a last moment X86 SBC computer board that (can) function (not well and crash every 9 min but it "works") 

software is a son of a bitch

so while people are wondering if ram is backside (hint its not a dimm socket, they are not making them without though hole mounting post, so its either integrated or non existent, both being a lie) im sitting here thinking, yea grats, you took a reference design and its DRC file, moved shit around and verified its less than X% in violation and had it quickturned 

about 1.5 years late 

software is a son of a bitch on this level, your not dealing with an arduino anymore 

so grats atari, if you do infact have a final design just now entering DV (design verification) your at least a proper 4-6 months of headache, PV (production verification) an additional 3-4 months, and the entire thing is based on a software ecosystem, in which we get an ISO of a playstation 2 archive and a generic linux ... made by whom? 

oh yea and a webstore to rival what...?

if they had a web ecosystem that shit would have been on android, IOS, steam and my toaster a long time ago ... its "nutari" who failed to launch a shovelware game on fuckin nintenfo, the king of cheap gimmicks and shovelware 

~osgeld~

IPC certified circuit board designer, EE , and before that IT / Software monkey for almost 20 years

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 8
  • Confused 1

For those who want to watch a real time meltdown on the supporters page, someone is in the process of committing suicide by mod.  We have a nonbeliever saying the Atari VCS is little more than an Atari 2600 Mini.  The "Sandbox" mode does nothing to dissuade him, since the other mini systems are hackable as well.

This guy's been a long time supporter of the project, but Lucas and Werner aren't having it.

Edited by Agillig

6 minutes ago, Agillig said:

For those who want to watch a real time meltdown on the supporters page, someone is in the process of committing suicide by mod.  We have a nonbeliever saying the Atari VCS is little more than an Atari 2600 Mini.  The "Sandbox" mode does nothing to dissuade him, since the other mini systems are hackable as well.

This guy's been a long time supporter of the project, but Lucas and Werner aren't having it.

Get some screen shots. I left the group awhile back.

• Like 1