IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

45 minutes ago, JBerel said:

It just warms my heart to see that Andy Blakely and Stefan Werner are such good friends and have so much common ground on their Atari supporters group and elsewhere. It's really nice when people from such diverse and completely opposite political spectrums can get over their differences and come together to find common ground with each other so well.  They show that all the strong held beliefs are just smoke screens and they don't really believe that stuff. They know they are much more alike than different. They are great ambassadors, and their solid teamwork, despite their little differences, will make this thing a great success. 

You mean like this :)

Screen Shot 2019-10-07 at 1.40.37 PM.png

• Haha 11

If you have $300 burning a hole in your pocket to spend on a gaming experience, this might be more of an interest. I've had an eyes-on experience with this, back when it was known as CAST-AR and it's pretty solid. It's headed by Jeri Ellsworth , who people in Commodore-land may recognize. It's an Augmented-Reality headset, aimed at table-top gaming, for now, but may be expanded in the future.

Tilt Five: Holographic Tabletop Gaming

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, AtariNerd said:

If you have $300 burning a hole in your pocket to spend on a gaming experience, this might be more of an interest. I've had an eyes-on experience with this, back when it was known as CAST-AR and it's pretty solid. It's headed by Jeri Ellsworth , who people in Commodore-land may recognize. It's an Augmented-Reality headset, aimed at table-top gaming, for now, but may be expanded in the future.

I've always wanted to try something like this in person, but have a reasonable suspicion that it would give me a seizure.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, AtariNerd said:

Been following her YouTube updates on this recently.  It's actually looking pretty slick.

• Like 1

New update with prototype!

Spoilers:  They don't say it but you're not getting your Ataribox in December, IGG backers.  Spring is still on-target (they say).

There’s still much to do before the team feels it can change the Indiegogo status from “Prototype” to “Production,” but we get closer each day.

I recommend checking out the blog for more details, AVCS pics and factory pictures, but I'll leave you with teasers--

Look at that sexy power-on action, haters:

atariTurnsItselfOn.gif.9320670d625b867aa08b40be18be977a.gif

Also, dat cooling:

1*VjMfvJeTs0HytgIhUdDpKA.jpeg

Are we able to advance this arrow any, yet? 

post-39941-0-47473400-1555954254_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Oh dear.  
The Atari VCS Architect - Rob Wyatt has quit .  He claims his company had not been paid in 6 months

Also, when 
Feargal Mac sued Atari, he managed to get $82K from them

Here is a deep dive about it all The Register just published

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/10/08/atari_architect_quits/

Edited by vcoleiro1
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 8
  • Haha 5

34 minutes ago, vcoleiro1 said:

OMG, I don't have enough tacos for today.

And here it is Taco Tuesday.

Edited to ad quote from TheReg:

We have asked Atari if Wyatt’s claim to have not been paid for six months is true, and what the reason for non-payment is. 

We have sent Atari, through its press agency ÜberStrategist, a series of questions and outlined most of this article’s findings and conclusions. Despite promising to get back to us, our initial inquiry was sent five days ago and we have yet to receive a

Atari knew Kieren was looking into this.  I'd posit that today's Medium.com update is reactionary and not coincidental.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, PlaysWithWolves said:

New update with prototype!

Spoilers:  They don't say it but you're not getting your Ataribox in December, IGG backers.  Spring is still on-target (they say).

I recommend checking out the blog for more details, AVCS pics and factory pictures, but I'll leave you with teasers--

Look at that sexy power-on action, haters:

imageproxy.php?img=&key=ca33d2fe2d526533imageproxy.php?img=&key=ca33d2fe2d526533atariTurnsItselfOn.gif.9320670d625b867aa08b40be18be977a.gif

Also, dat cooling:

1*VjMfvJeTs0HytgIhUdDpKA.jpeg

Are we able to advance this arrow any, yet? 

post-39941-0-47473400-1555954254_thumb.jpg

So.....um....no power cord?.....

• Like 2
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

Yes, I noticed that too. I'd do the same sort of thing with a battery powered Arduino in a box, driving a LED and about 20 lines of code.
But that's how I would do it. I'm sure Atari has millions of dollars of development behind that particular power-cord-free unit. Not an Arduino and a LED. No, sir-eeeeee.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Andrew Davie said:

Yes, I noticed that too. I'd do the same sort of thing with a battery powered Arduino in a box, driving a LED and about 20 lines of code.
But that's how I would do it. I'm sure Atari has millions of dollars of development behind that particular power-cord-free unit. Not an Arduino and a LED. No, sir-eeeeee.

Electronics isn't my thing, but that seems complicated for a battery-operated light bulb and switch.  They've had working Fuji lights for over a year when they were trying to fool TheReg (and others) the first time.

• Like 6

Just now, PlaysWithWolves said:

Electronics isn't my thing, but that seems complicated for a battery-operated light bulb and switch.  They've had working Fuji lights for over a year when they were trying to fool TheReg (and others) the first time.

I could make a pulsing LED with a $1.50 Arduino and a $0.02 LED and a $0.01 resistor from Aliexpress.
It's the batteries that would be the killer - maybe $2. That's for my implementation - but I'm just an amateur with these things.
I leave real console development to the experts, like Atari.  I'm glad that they have a genuine product, as shown in the video and images, and that it is clearly near completion and very soon to be released. Can't wait to see more of this wonderful new machine.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

That was, by far, their most honest and useful Medium update yet. They were forthright about their progress, and specific about their limitations, and what the backers should expect. I agree they're going to miss December. 

I think their least worst move at this point would be to ship it with the sandbox OS (some light Linux build, distribution probably depends on license terms), and write off development of "Atari OS" as too expensive. In other words, fulfill the backers orders and leave it there. If they attempt retail distribution, they're going to lose a ton of money. 

The cute enclosure is the main draw anyway. They can't add enough unique value to justify developing their own OS, unless it's just a thin veneer over something that already exists. A Kodi skin would suffice. The true believers shouldn't care. 

The lack of bullshit in this Medium update makes me wonder if that's related to the departure of Rob Wyatt. Unless we can see his contract, we won't know the terms they agreed to. If I were "Atari" and saw him missing every calendar deadline with little to show for it, I wouldn't have paid him either. "Hardware takes a while when you are doing it right" won't excuse a lack of performance forever. 

It doesn't really matter whether he quit or was fired. The project was a half-baked idea, mismanaged from the start. They'd be wise to wrap it up and ship something to stop the embarrassing story from exploding further. 

• Like 14

"To be honest, while these machines boot up using our Atari BIOS, they operate more like a computer than a fully-functional game system at the moment."

I learned in sales training never to say "To be honest..." as that connotes that everything you've said before was a lie. Oops...we're talking Atari here, so that's a given!  

Edited by lingyi
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

12 minutes ago, Andrew Davie said:

Would a linux-based OS boot and power-off in 2-3 seconds?  That's about the time for the on/off sequence shown.  Just pondering what I'm seeing here.

Who said anything about booting? They turned on an LED light, nothing more. 

Remember the Coleco Chameleon "prototype" that didn't even do that?

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

News flash: Atari SA partners with Emmerson Radio Corp on upcomming console.

"We are excited to bring Emerson's advanced knowledge of electronics to help our holding company bring this product to fruition," says Atari SA's CEO. "This will be the first console powered by a 12 volt battery since 1981. Just think, now you can play games in your car or boat again!"

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

I read The Register article this morning, and definitely click the link and read the whole article, but this summary nails it...

In summary

But we are getting into the weeds. Here is a short version of our two-week investigation:

• The Atari VCS will be extremely limited as a console. It is effectively a $250-ish PC in a nice-looking retro box.
  • Atari’s main architect has quit, claiming he has not been paid in months.
  • Penny-pinching throughout the development process has resulted in a range of bad decisions that effectively prevents the Atari VCS from calling itself a dedicated games console.
  • No original games developers have signed up to the Atari VCS, two years after launch. And they are unlikely to in future, either.
  • There will be no native apps, and services like Netflix will be accessed through a modified browser.
  • The Atari VCS is unlikely to hit its March 2020 deadline, and may in fact never launch.

•  
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2