IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

^^^ The plan is as StopDropRetro from Youtube said CUT N' RUN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0qyUhb3VXI

CheeseGuy's plan (Allegedly) was to pump up hype around Atari and hope someone would scoop them up for a cool Billion Dollars, give or take a few hundred mill. He wanted the stock to fly high.

Even if he had this thing complete and ready, he (allegedly) would delay it in hopes some fish would bite, because he knows once it goes live it is going to crash like a laptop with spilled orange juice all over it.

"Atari didn't kill itself"

Edited by OCAT
  • Like 2

I felt I needed to make a contribution to get us to 1000 pages before the New Year (at least the 1000 that us mere mortals can see).

These are no nonsense, no frills tacos. One hard, one soft, and one walking taco. Yet despite being no frills, there is more variety than Atari SA will come up with and they exist (at least they did 20 minutes ago).

IMG_0688.thumb.png.69f6aa4fca1d8905ab7cb6c50991695a.png

Of course my daughter asked why I was taking a picture, and I explained some of this saga. Now she wants to sign up, though I did warn here that most of us are old farts (with exceptions of course) that are just having a laugh at a shambling corpse of a company.

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

^^ Be carefull, your daughter's kind heart and good will might get her suckered into buying a VCS to support old poor man CheeseGuy, and the stories of the wicked men, trying to make everyone feel bad for not supporting a company that is completly secretive, had not shown any device booting up months before alleged release and has no scruples when dealing with contracted partners.

Hear me oh Atari!, as the final day approaches, you bring upon yourself your personal apocalypse! Your downfall will be your own and your failure will be complete...

(too melodramatic?)

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, CPUWIZ said:

Bought for what reason?  The name?  I think IG already put a huge stink on it.

Took me a moment to realize 
IG = Infogrames

Bought for what reason? Good question, but Fred is very proud that he hauled them out of bankruptcy and into some degree of profitability. Their real fans are aging and they're unlikely to grow as a "lifestyle" (t-shirts and speaker hats) brand. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Agillig said:

"Mode 7" sounds a lot more intriguing than "Hardware scaling".

Could have been "Mode 8" had they started counting at 1.

1. Mode 0: 4 layers, all using 4-color palettes. Each BG uses its own section of the SNES palette. Up to 96 colors can be displayed on the backgrounds, 24 colors per layer.
  2. Mode 1: 3 layers, two using 16-color palettes and one using 4-color palettes. Up to 120 colors can be displayed by first two layers and 24 colors by third layer.
  3. Mode 2: 2 layers, both using 16-color palettes. Each tile can be individually scrolled. Up to 120 colors can be displayed on screen.
  4. Mode 3: 2 layers, one using the full 256-color palette and one using 16-color palettes. The 256-color layer can also directly specify colors from an 11-bit (RGB443) colorspace. Up to 256 colors displayed by first layer and 120 colors by second layer.
  5. Mode 4: 2 layers, one using the full 256-color palette and one using 4-color palettes. The 256-color layer can directly specify colors, and each tile can be individually scrolled. Up to 256 colors displayed by first layer and 24 colors by second layer.
  6. Mode 5: 2 layers, one using 16-color palettes and one using 4-color palettes. Tile decoding is altered to facilitate use of the 512-width and interlaced resolutions. Up to 120 colors displayed by first layer and 24 colors by second layer.
  7. Mode 6: 1 layer, using 16-color palettes. Tile decoding is as in Mode 5, and each tile can be individually scrolled. Up to 120 colors can be displayed on screen.
  8. Mode 7: 1 layer of 128×128 tiles of size 8×8 from a set of 256, which may be interpreted as a 256-color one-plane layer or a 128-color two-plane layer. The layer may be rotated and scaled using matrix transformations. A programming technique called HDMA can be used to change the matrix parameters for each scanline in order to generate perspective effects.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OCAT said:

^^ Be carefull, your daughter's kind heart and good will might get her suckered into buying a VCS to support old poor man CheeseGuy....

Just for fun, i ran a picture of fred through FaceApp with the old person filter.......... 3 times.......

Here is the result:

FaceApp_1576720426221.jpg

• Haha 6

51 minutes ago, The Historian said:

Could have been "Mode 8" had they started counting at 1.

1. Mode 0: 4 layers, all using 4-color palettes. Each BG uses its own section of the SNES palette. Up to 96 colors can be displayed on the backgrounds, 24 colors per layer.
  2. Mode 1: 3 layers, two using 16-color palettes and one using 4-color palettes. Up to 120 colors can be displayed by first two layers and 24 colors by third layer.
  3. Mode 2: 2 layers, both using 16-color palettes. Each tile can be individually scrolled. Up to 120 colors can be displayed on screen.
  4. Mode 3: 2 layers, one using the full 256-color palette and one using 16-color palettes. The 256-color layer can also directly specify colors from an 11-bit (RGB443) colorspace. Up to 256 colors displayed by first layer and 120 colors by second layer.
  5. Mode 4: 2 layers, one using the full 256-color palette and one using 4-color palettes. The 256-color layer can directly specify colors, and each tile can be individually scrolled. Up to 256 colors displayed by first layer and 24 colors by second layer.
  6. Mode 5: 2 layers, one using 16-color palettes and one using 4-color palettes. Tile decoding is altered to facilitate use of the 512-width and interlaced resolutions. Up to 120 colors displayed by first layer and 24 colors by second layer.
  7. Mode 6: 1 layer, using 16-color palettes. Tile decoding is as in Mode 5, and each tile can be individually scrolled. Up to 120 colors can be displayed on screen.
  8. Mode 7: 1 layer of 128×128 tiles of size 8×8 from a set of 256, which may be interpreted as a 256-color one-plane layer or a 128-color two-plane layer. The layer may be rotated and scaled using matrix transformations. A programming technique called HDMA can be used to change the matrix parameters for each scanline in order to generate perspective effects.

Yeah, that's above my head.  I thought the scaling in certain Genesis games like Afterburner 2 and Space Harrier 2 looked just fine. People got excited over being able to throw enemies out of the screen in Turtles in Time, but all that happened was 5 frames of the enemy getting bigger and pixelated.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

This holiday season, find someone who will stick up for you the way F1JV sticks up for "Atari." This conversation was snipped from the CNBC interview with Fred Chesnais, clueless dunderhead and current CEO of the corpse bride called "Atari."

1129759473_Screenshot2019-12-18at9_27_52AM.thumb.png.e10c35e580a521d16ec6e700f0073901.png825009918_Screenshot2019-12-18at9_28_21AM.thumb.png.27295c8d74e4698da867cc683a97a626.png927863806_Screenshot2019-12-18at9_28_42AM.thumb.png.3177d57cc6ba1b9146c50affe90fae74.png2029165863_Screenshot2019-12-18at9_28_57AM.thumb.png.586ef1d31c99ce093ac7db3d5c4a97ac.png

815871191_F1JVlovesFred.thumb.png.a817658ead46887c7c4a8f133027bbfa.png

Good God, that guy is crazy.

9 hours ago, ColecoJoe said:

I guess this is the basketball game in that Atari screenshot.

That actually looks pretty cool.

The question is whether or not it'll be on the VCS.

It says it works on "SteamOS + Linux" (I think that's the normal "it works on Linux" thing on Steam, if I remember correctly), so it should run on the VCS... but are they actually putting it on Atari's store?

There are a lot of questions here and no good answers.

Still, if THIS is one of their big titles... it's already available months in advance on Steam...

8 hours ago, Agillig said:

Serious question:  What exactly was that gameplay of Borderlands 2 from back at E3 running on?  It was supposed to be running on the VCS, but that seems pretty unlikely in light of what we know now.

It just seems like if Atari were going to put out a fake gameplay video, they would have it running a lot smoother. 

My guess would be the AMD development board we know they had. If not, it was probably some crappy PC they bought on eBay or at a flea market just for E3. 

I think everyone in this thread has overlooked the most cruicial and glaring mistake Atari has made with the alleged release of this "Console"

ATARI HAS NO MASCOT!

Nintendo has Mario, Sega had Sonic, Xbox has Master Chief, Turbo grafx had Bonk (after Keith Courage),
Playstation... well Crash Bandicoot? well they have a few...

If Atari want to be taken seriously they need to find a mascot fast! how are they going to differenciate themselves from the others?
I say let it be female, they can ride the wave that has taken Hollywood movies by storm, this way they might have a chance to sell consoles.
Anyone dare to come up with ideas to help them?
I suggest "Pitfall Holly", they can make a game in the Tomb Raider series where a strong Amazonian woman has to save the weak feable men from captors.
This could be plan B for Atari, make this a game system and platform for women, programmed by women for women gaming...
Mr. CHeeseGuy, I think it is time you step aside and let a Woman run Atari, this would be the publicity you NEED at your most darkest hour.
You also will need a catchphrase or a jingle... like "Get Atari. Get Woke."

Edited by OCAT
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, OCAT said:

I think everyone in this thread has overlooked the most cruicial and glaring mistake Atari has made with the alleged release of this "Console"

ATARI HAS NO MASCOT!

Just add a pair of eyes to the Atari logo and let's call it a day! It probably already exists somewhere in this thread...

• Haha 2

I don't think anyone ever posted this but I found this on one of the subreddits the other day.

C14E1285-FCA8-47A5-B316-FC1DF589F89C.thumb.jpeg.2bf8e1425f0a2b42e9d5ac2bac92afa1.jpeg

Apologies if it's been posted before, but it's funny as hell either way. That face says it all.

On a different subject, I came across this the other day, and it's some seriously cult-like behaviour that bothers me. Maybe it's just because I've watched some stuff on cults lately, but this sounds really off.

cult1.thumb.png.d76c5693f2b99c24a0afae4b60e42752.png

cult2.png.88a62ffbf813c8fc139627aea55517f9.png

cult3.thumb.png.90452d1b4ba6af1c7514bd1cdcb10541.png

10 minutes ago, OCAT said:

ATARI HAS NO MASCOT!

Now they do:

dabonthemtacos.png.0e0c06888d0096876e627a8ced3172de.png

Fred's gonna dab on all us haters with his tacoman.

3 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

Just add a pair of eyes to the Atari logo and let's call it a day! It probably already exists somewhere in this thread...

Couldn't fine one with a quick search, but according to Google, the VCS is synonymous anyway, so...

googlyeyes.thumb.png.c8f4224b2697481d9c26f3d5bb85ed7c.png

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TankedThomas said:

I don't think anyone ever posted this but I found this on one of the subreddits the other day.

C14E1285-FCA8-47A5-B316-FC1DF589F89C.thumb.jpeg.2bf8e1425f0a2b42e9d5ac2bac92afa1.jpeg

Apologies if it's been posted before, but it's funny as hell either way. That face says it all.

You missed out on the several pages of memes that were created from that event. I would scroll back a few hundred pages if you need a laugh :)