IGNORED

New Genesis Flashback

jblenkle

Well if the one from Ali Express only has mono sound but AtGames is advertising stereo (which they are) they can't be the same chip. Ace's posts in that thread indicate there's no way to get a second channel of audio to the outputs in the Ali model.

I'm just dying for a clone to get perfect-working audio output. I'd pay plenty to save some wear and tear on my Genesis 2.

Well if the one from Ali Express only has mono sound but AtGames is advertising stereo (which they are) they can't be the same chip. Ace's posts in that thread indicate there's no way to get a second channel of audio to the outputs in the Ali model.

I'm just dying for a clone to get perfect-working audio output. I'd pay plenty to save some wear and tear on my Genesis 2.

The AtGames Sega HD is stereo. In fact, the AtGames Sega SD has stereo this year as well (still the same poor sound, though, although that's looking like this is the last year for that).

• Like 1

Here ya go, plentiful and as cheap as the day is long...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sega-Genesis-2-Console-Model-MK-1631-w-Original-Power-Adapter-RF-Modulator-EUC-/132182422452?hash=item1ec6afb3b4:g:x0EAAOSwlndZDR96

• Like 1

Bill is probably sick of the same old questions, but on the off chance that this hasn't yet been asked, does this possibly run Virtua Racing?

Normally I'd just assume the answer was no. But I saw you saying you were going to test some carts that don't work on the Genesis 3, which leaves me to wonder if they perhaps went to the trouble to emulate the SVP chip to attempt 100% compatibility with pure Genesis cartridges? I can only think of Gargoyles as another Genesis cartridge that doesn't work on the Majesco hardware.

Edited by Atariboy

Bill is probably sick of the same old questions, but on the off chance this hasn't yet been asked, does this run Virtua Racing (I saw you saying you were going to test some carts that don't work on the Genesis 3, which this is the leading Genesis example of)?

It does not. That has hardware in the cartridge that it can't cope with. We're still working on improving cartridge compatibility up until the last minute, but that's one game that just won't work.

• Like 1

The AtGames design is from scratch. I doubt that Chinese system is using Android-like technology like the Sega and Atari HDs are. It's almost certainly a system-on-a-chip with some type of HDMI scaler. That would explain why flash carts work on that Chinese system and why it has both analog and digital output.

This though kind of confirms that we are talking straight through emulation (a la RetroN 5/RetroFreak so to speak) and not a new GoaC evolved from previous designs ... oh well, if the price is right it and the emulation spot on it may not matter in the end.

Nowhere is to be found how much space there is to dump one's carts? Is it each and every time or is there some temporal storage for say a dozen or so games?

• Like 1

For Virtua Racing, the ROM can be dumped just fine (the extra SVP hardware is not a problem for that) but the SVP needs to be emulated by software, wich obviously adds to development costs if this was indeed an emulator developed from scratch.

That is if those new Flashbacks HD are indeed just Retron 5 / Retrofreak clones (FPGA dumping cartridge ROM + ARM SoC running the android interface and software emulators).

The chinese HD thing uses an old Tectoy (TCT-xxxx ?) GOAC so it's a different beast, closer to old Retron 3 / Retrogen but with an HDMI converter added in the box to upscale original video signal output from the chip.

Surprisingly, Tectoy new Megadrive is actually using barebone RK1 (Red Kid) chip which is the ancestor of RK2 chip used in Firecore based Atgames consoles that we have seen popping out regularly for the last years. Unsurprisingly, it has the same shitty sound as Firecore products because it is a cheap reproduction of Genesis hardware, not a true clone like TCT-xxxx GOACs and clocks are somehow configured inaccurately (as if they wanted to overclock the original Genesis hardware).

Edited by philyso

This though kind of confirms that we are talking straight through emulation (a la RetroN 5/RetroFreak so to speak) and not a new GoaC evolved from previous designs ... oh well, if the price is right it and the emulation spot on it may not matter in the end.

Nowhere is to be found how much space there is to dump one's carts? Is it each and every time or is there some temporal storage for say a dozen or so games?

What did you need confirmed? I was pretty clear about what it was from the beginning. Yes, it works just like RetroN 5 and Retro Freak in that it dumps the games to memory to run them on a software-based emulator (the GOAC in the SD console and portable is the same as always, but next year they may finally be able to fix the sound issue once and for all).

In the case of the Sega HD, the dump is temporary, one game at a time, but there are a pool of save state slots that can be shared among cartridges. So yes, in this case, you have to insert your original cartridge each time you want to play it (and power off/on just like you would on the original console). There's a delay as the cartridge gets dumped to working memory.

Also, to give everyone an update on the fixes to what was sent out as review units, everything is proceeding well. There is still some more cartridge compatibility testing to be done and improvements to SMS/GG game performance, but otherwise this is looking like what it was always supposed to be.

For Virtua Racing, the ROM can be dumped just fine (the extra SVP hardware is not a problem for that) but the SVP needs to be emulated by software, wich obviously adds to development costs if this was indeed an emulator developed from scratch.

Yes, it's AtGames' own emulator. That has pluses and minuses. The pluses are they can do their own fixes and other work (which is how they're able to fix the issues with the pre-production units so quickly), but the negatives are it's not necessarily as compatible as some of the ones that have been in development for years and years.

Yes, it's AtGames' own emulator. That has pluses and minuses. The pluses are they can do their own fixes and other work (which is how they're able to fix the issues with the pre-production units so quickly), but the negatives are it's not necessarily as compatible as some of the ones that have been in development for years and years.

Thanks for all the insight and info that you've been providing the community! Major props for keeping your cool in answering the more obnoxious posts too. Hopefully atgames can rectify the controller/UI and emulation issues and have a 2nd round sent to reviewers before the official release date.

• Like 1

Here is a video review for the HD clone Genesis on Aliexpress that I found by a very small You Tuber who actually did a great job reviewing. He actually shut up long enough to let you hear how it sounds too unlike a lot of reviews.

Seriously At Games, if you're going to send out free review units to You Tubers, make sure that they have the ability to do a competent review first. Send one to StopDrop&Retro. A link to his channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwp0KmeZ-B4c4EZPmIp0L4g

He is trustworthy to the community and will give you a completely fair review as he has been sent quite a few review units from manufacturers and websites including the GPD Win. He fully discloses if he has received a free review unit and still does not let that cloud his review. If there was truly a mishap with shipping out of bad units, then this guy can very much help clear the bad press your product has received thus far.

Edited by OldsXCool

Here is a video review for the HD clone Genesis on Aliexpress that I found by a very small You Tuber who actually did a great job reviewing. He actually shut up long enough to let you hear how it sounds too unlike a lot of reviews.

Seriously At Games, if you're going to send out free review units to You Tubers, make sure that they have the ability to do a competent review first. Send one to StopDrop&Retro. A link to his channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwp0KmeZ-B4c4EZPmIp0L4g

He is trustworthy to the community and will give you a completely fair review as he has been sent quite a few review units from manufacturers and websites including the GPD Win. He fully discloses if he has received a free review unit and still does not let that cloud his review. If there was truly a mishap with shipping out of bad units, then this guy can very much help clear the bad press your product has received thus far.

Awesome, thanks! He's really good. Shame I want to punch something every time he says the letter H. LOL. They invented the language, why can't they say it properly? :P

The clone/plug n' play market is really starting to baffle me. Before they were known to be cheap crap and expected to be cheap crap. Nintendo released the NES Classic under the umbrella that it was going to be a neat, low cost way for casuals to enjoy the old games they played back in the day. Yet they discontinued it to make a limited run as if it were something that a collector would want. They were extremely two faced about the whole thing. When Digital Foundry did their official review of the NES Classic, they found a bunch of substandard workmanship in the hardware emulation area and passed it off as the unit was thought to have been built for a casual experience. Granted the sound differences were not anything as noticeable as any current ATGames clone console, but they were still there. As someone who has the real hardware and has no problem using emulation on the computers I have hooked to every TV in my house to play games I don't have or just for convenience; the fact that Nintendo released something that was not perfect means it was automatically a no deal for me. As a gamer and collector I say go all the way or go home. Do it 100% or don't do it at all. If it's anything less than that you might as well put a "for casuals" sticker right on the box. Same goes for Sega. Sega obviously knows from the success of the NES Classic and the pending success (not to mention doom) that is coming with SNES Classic that these products are not being targeted by casuals. The SNES Classic especially by having the unreleased Star Fox 2 on it. Tell me now that this stuff was just meant for casuals! The manufacturers have FINALLY become self aware after all this time. Now they want to sell us all of their old stuff for a premium price. That's fine I suppose but it better be perfect and no less because using Kega Fusion for Windows is actually better than playing an actual Genesis with it's stellar picture quality and cleaner sound along with no input lag. I use the Fusion emulator exclusively for Sega CD games because I don't want a finicky disc drive that I'm just going to curse when it acts up. I own Sega CD games without an actual Sega CD. That is what you're up against ATGames. The Flashback can be as legal as the day is long, but it ain't legit with sub par emulation. My hats off to you for not stealing RetroArch like Hyperkin did, but you need to get your own emulator into shape before you sell it to someone who knows what things are supposed to look and sound like. You need to chop off all of those garbage games that you've included on every other PNP that you've made in the past and put some must have Genesis games in their place. Omit the Master System and GG games too because it's a GENESIS FLASHBACK. Lying right on the front of the box isn't too endearing. Too many are accepting of mediocrity, especially the two You Tubers you sent your review units to. I'm not ok with being lied to. If you have 85 classic games on the front of the box, there better be 85 classic games on the UI. Not a bunch of games that Stewart Ashens would have a field day with picking apart. No, the Flashback is nothing ATGames has never done before, but we all know the timing is right to cash in on this new PNP craze.

Edited by OldsXCool