IGNORED

New Genesis Flashback

jblenkle

You can change the front end with a little work... let me see if I can find more information.

https://www.mdfbrew.org/projects:generationslauncher

Since the Flashback is an Android device, you can install APK files on it... you just have to find a way to get them on the system. What I did was open the system and connect it to a computer through a hidden mini USB port. If you have the program "Android Commander" on your computer, transferring and even installing APK files on your Flashback is super easy.

As for the better emulator, someone on AA gave me a modified version of MD.emu, one designed to use the Flashback's specific inputs. I'm not sure if this is readily available online or if that AtariAge member is even still active. However, you might be able to use a normal version of MD.emu, connect a joypad to the mini USB port, and change the input settings manually.

It's work, I won't lie. The mini USB port isn't powered and you'll have to solder in a wire to give it power, so it can read controllers. It may not be worth the bother for some of you, but for me, it chafed that this didn't run very well and I needed to fix it.

• Like 2

I've rebuilt MD.Emu Jess Ragan is talking about to work with the Flashback HD inputs. I did not make it available because the emulator is not free.

I'm not a programmer and my Android mod skills are primitive so I've just edited a couple of files to register the Flashback HD inputs properly in menus and map its buttons.

I've chosen MD.Emu instead of RetroArch because my goal was to try to replace the built-in emulators without switching launchers and I eventually found that MD.Emu can be invoked externally exactly as the built-in emulators. I decompiled the AtGames launcher using APKTool/smali/baksmali and I've found how the emulators are invoked. The code has calls to invoke other emulators for Atari 2600 and Intellivision (under Game.smali). I've changed some of these 'unused calls' and configured new extensions associated with MD.Emu.

Unfortunately my Flashback HD is the old "OBB version" so it's a pain to include new games and my recompiled launcher won't be helpful for most of the guys here.

While I'm happy with my Flashback HD after the mods, I'm really looking forward for the 2018 version and I hope they can improve the emulator and make it easier to add new games.
  • Like 1

MD.emu is based on an (old) version of Genesis Plus GX when it was still licensed under GPL so it's 100% free, you have every rights to modify it, recompile it and distribute it (under GPL terms). The fact MD.emu developer choosed to sell his Android port on Google Play should NOT prevent you to share your own modified version (actually, there is a free version available on Google Play and you can even find a free .apk on MD.emu developer website)

Edited by philyso

• 2 months later...

Personally I think it could be very good news as Sega is 'rethinking' the design. I'm hoping this means NO MORE ATGAMES.

I want it to be right, but I want it to be out this year. Every minute that goes by adds to the lack of relevance that Sega has. They have nobody but themselves to thank for that, as they partnered with a company that put out absolute shit and they stamped their name on it. I want to see them succeed and it needs to be soon.

• Like 1

This year would be incredibly stupid IMO. They'd be directly competing with the PlayStation mini. I'm good with a solid product in 2019 :) But I want a Master System too!!!!

Except that Sega announced it was supposed to come this year (a significant year) and the PS Mini was announced today. It's silly to think that Sony's announcement caused global panic for Sega.

So I've been been seeing this blue boxed Sega Genesis by ATGames at Wal-mart lately (last few months).

I guess that's not the "new" one I keep hearing about on here? since apparently it never came out and is now delayed?

So... Is this blue box one last years model or something? We do sometimes get stuff late here in Canada!

Thing is, I was on the fence over buying that or the PS4 Sega Genesis Collection.

I chose the PS4 version.... and it's terrible. Thought I made the wrong choice.

Apparently, it didn't matter which one I bought, because I couldn't win those choices!

But I did buy the cheaper one, so I cut my losses at least.

EDIT

And yeah... this would been the year, and time... it was August of 89 the genesis launched wasn't it?

Edited by Torr

this would been the year, and time... it was August of 89 the genesis launched wasn't it?

Wikipedia:

Release date

• JP: October 29, 1988
  • NA: August 14, 1989
  • KOR: August 1990
  • PAL: September 1990
  • BRA: September 1, 1990

I didn't have one until after Sonic the Hedgehog had been the pack-in for a while, no earlier than June 1991. Looking back, it's probably the last time I waited such a long time from a game machine's launch to needing to own it. I fail the marshmallow test.

So I've been been seeing this blue boxed Sega Genesis by ATGames at Wal-mart lately (last few months).

I guess that's not the "new" one I keep hearing about on here? since apparently it never came out and is now delayed?

So... Is this blue box one last years model or something? We do sometimes get stuff late here in Canada!

Thing is, I was on the fence over buying that or the PS4 Sega Genesis Collection.

I chose the PS4 version.... and it's terrible. Thought I made the wrong choice.

Apparently, it didn't matter which one I bought, because I couldn't win those choices!

But I did buy the cheaper one, so I cut my losses at least.

EDIT

And yeah... this would been the year, and time... it was August of 89 the genesis launched wasn't it?

Pretty sure the blue box is the composite-video Firecore model that sucks super hard.

The 30th anniversary alignment was based on the Japan release, since the original announcement was for an MD Mini.

Well as I understand it...here is a literal translation of the twitter announcement pulled from the Sega-16 forums:

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?33748-Mega-Drive-Mini-updates

"Announcement: The release date of the Mega Drive Mini, announced at Sega Fes 2018, has been moved to 2019. Development had been proceeding with the intention of releasing it this year, but with the huge response from fans, especially those abroad, we are officially preparing a North American Genesis version and a European Mega Drive version. We are planning a concurrent worldwide release.

In addition, in order to reach a level of quality that will satisfy all of the Sega fans out there, we will work with the original Mega Drive development staff to revise the design, and we will also collaborate with accomplished Japanese game developers. We apologize to all of the fans for the trouble this delay may cause. For now, please wait with high expectations."

And from this article here:

https://www.polygon.com/2018/9/19/17878298/sega-mega-drive-mini-genesis-release-date-delay

So given this is seems apparently that no mention of @games and they state they are working with original mega drive developers. And from the Polygon article it is stated they are working with a well known long time Japanese developer. Speculation on who that might be? M2 perhaps? Also note they are planning for a worldwide release now when it was originally to be Asia only. So I would state Sega has realized that for this to really take off, they need to try and meet Nintendo at their game on this.

I'm optimistic about this now at this point and will follow it more closely.

Also note they are planning for a worldwide release now when it was originally to be Asia only.

No, it was to be worldwide.

Bill here at AtariAge and an AtGames social media account both confirmed that the product Sega announced months ago was just a Japanese release of the AtGames Sega Genesis Flashback HD 2 that was due in the west this fall.

Edited by Atariboy

No, it was to be worldwide.

Bill here at AtariAge and an AtGames social media account both confirmed that the product Sega announced months ago was just a Japanese release of the AtGames Sega Genesis Flashback HD 2 that was due in the west this fall.

Well now see until I found out about the delay and possible reasons behind it, I had dismissed all the conversation regarding the AtGames stuff... Also the way (Sega) worded it from the Twitter post made it sound like that was part of the reason for the delay was to now make it a worldwide release.

"Development had been proceeding with the intention of releasing it this year, but with the huge response from fans, especially those abroad, we are officially preparing a North American Genesis version and a European Mega Drive version. "

That made it appear that a worldwide or at least a US and EUR release wasn't originally part of the plan. That is how I understood it at least.

Well now see until I found out about the delay and possible reasons behind it, I had dismissed all the conversation regarding the AtGames stuff... Also the way (Sega) worded it from the Twitter post made it sound like that was part of the reason for the delay was to now make it a worldwide release.

"Development had been proceeding with the intention of releasing it this year, but with the huge response from fans, especially those abroad, we are officially preparing a North American Genesis version and a European Mega Drive version. "

That made it appear that a worldwide or at least a US and EUR release wasn't originally part of the plan. That is how I understood it at least.

The tweet makes it sound like Japan was getting something that the rest of the world wasn't, but back in April AtGames claimed credit for the design. That claim has been taken down and I'm just giddy with joy.

The tweet makes it sound like Japan was getting something that the rest of the world wasn't, but back in April AtGames claimed credit for the design. That claim has been taken down and I'm just giddy with joy.

See you understood basically like I did. And it does in their tweet translated quote " We are officially preparing a North American Genesis version and European Mega Drive version...".

Again, that tells me that up until this...it wasn't officially slated to be released in other countries. Now I do know that AtGames stated it would be getting released, but again that has since been pulled and kinda was pretty quick as I recall, so maybe it wasn't ever set in stone for it to be released abroad but now it will. Either way, I'm interested in watching how it plays out and what the final product is like.

• Like 1

See you understood basically like I did. And it does in their tweet translated quote " We are officially preparing a North American Genesis version and European Mega Drive version...".

Again, that tells me that up until this...it wasn't officially slated to be released in other countries. Now I do know that AtGames stated it would be getting released, but again that has since been pulled and kinda was pretty quick as I recall, so maybe it wasn't ever set in stone for it to be released abroad but now it will. Either way, I'm interested in watching how it plays out and what the final product is like.

Makes me wonder if AtGames was NEVER going to do this thing, and just didn't realize it so they made their own independent tweet figuring they'd be making their typical subpar Sega game.

Like, maybe they just didn't know or weren't aware that they were out yet. :lol:

Edited by derFunkenstein

Makes me wonder if AtGames was NEVER going to do this thing, and just didn't realize it so they made their own independent tweet figuring they'd be making their typical subpar Sega game.

Like, maybe they just didn't know or weren't aware that they were out yet. :lol:

While it's fun to speculate, as the person who actually runs the social media accounts, I can tell you that you're way off base there.

Ouch. That can only mean that AtGames wasn't delivering something that Sega wanted for the first time in, like, ever.

Nope. Unfortunately, I can't comment any further. Sega is in control of the messaging and it will be up to them to talk about who is or is not involved and how. I do understand the desire to speculate, though, and I'm sure we'll see some wild theories out there.

Despite some of the lack of information, at least between now and next year, there's going to be an explosion of retro-centric products hitting the market from all types of companies and in all types of form factors. Between that and all the modern stuff, each day that passes continues to be the new best time ever to be a gamer.

• Like 4

It's a dangerous time to be a retro gamer, as companies are crawling out of the woodwork looking to exploit the aging GenX and Millennial generations that still long to hold onto their youth.

I have high expectations for emulation quality in officially-licensed mini consoles. Nintendo confirmed that my expectations are not unrealistic. Last year's Genesis was unacceptable, even after the delay and revision. Armchair Arcade's review says there are no obvious issues, and some YouTubers thought it was "fine", but the YouTube videos in your review very clearly demonstrate otherwise. WHOEVER is doing it better do a bang-up job on the emulation and the presentation, because I'm very protective of the Genesis. It's the greatest console ever (IMO) and it deserves far more than it's gotten so far.

Edited by derFunkenstein