IGNORED

New Genesis Flashback

jblenkle

I don't remember making a comment about the Legends product. But, I could just be having a brain fart. Nothing against it but my thing is system clones with cart/SD card support.

I wasn't targeting you with that comment, just clarifying in this Genesis Flashback thread. The Legends Console does have an SD card slot.

• Like 1

Just an FYI about the Legends Console, it has nothing to do with Genesis.

At this point it doesn't matter. If they can't get Genesis emulation right after a decade I hardly have high hopes for the arcade games this thing possesses.

In saying that I'm not 100% anti AtGames - I'm gonna buy the Flashback 8 Gold - actually looks very good and I'm missing a 2600 clone :D

While it's fun to speculate, as the person who actually runs the social media accounts, I can tell you that you're way off base there.

So it was you who wrote 'that tweet'? I'm a bit surprised you couldn't foresee the fallout...

Anyway, nothing against you but AtGames had more than enough chances to get the Sega consoles right. They never even came close so I'm glad Sega has decided to rethink the Genesis mini.

• Like 1

At this point it doesn't matter. If they can't get Genesis emulation right after a decade I hardly have high hopes for the arcade games this thing possesses.

In saying that I'm not 100% anti AtGames - I'm gonna buy the Flashback 8 Gold - actually looks very good and I'm missing a 2600 clone :D

Wait for the Flashback 9 or 9 Gold.

In terms of the arcade games, you'll just have to wait for the reviews. Those should be live soon.

How far away is that? Will there be a bundle with paddles again?

About a month. I'm not sure about retailer-specific bundles yet, but only the new higher resolution AtGames-specific paddles will work on the new systems (the one caveat versus the previous models).

• Like 1

About a month. I'm not sure about retailer-specific bundles yet, but only the new higher resolution AtGames-specific paddles will work on the new systems (the one caveat versus the previous models).

Cool, I'll hold off then. No dramas about the paddles as I don't have any old ones anyway.

I have a question for you Bill.

Looked at the list of games for the Flashback:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2060/0897/files/LEGENDS_FLASHBACK_GAME_LIST.pdf?5060523432473616858

You guys have Judge Dredd and Championship soccer. So I suppose you went for Throwback Entertainment games. I guess that is why Acclaim logo is on the box since Throwback picked up the auction that was set up when Acclaim went burst.. I don't know how much research you guys did on their IP list, but their IP purchase they did a few years a go was incredibly flawed, the Trustee did no research at all and just copied the list of of published games on Wikipedia. Which does not reflect the actual IPs that Acclaim Owned, a lot of those games were just licensing deals, and those licenses have expired.

Did Atgames went and acquired third party licenses for Judge Dread (Comic + Movie, since it was based off a movie based off a comic, so brings in 2 different third parties), Because if not, this product would be a ticking bomb for retailers and distributors.

Throwback only has partial rights of that game see the copyright notices.

In terms of the Acclaim logo, did Atgames acquired the license to show the logo from Colectorvision (which they have claimed the Trademark) (trademark number 5377558)

In my book Acclaim logo is owned by Disney, as the company that bought it from the bankruptcy case was sold to Disney, still Acclaim.com is registered to Disney (see here) Disney can come any day and cancel Collectorvision's Trademark for Acclaim, as they actually bought the mark/logo copyright on the acquisition of Acclaim games (see reference here of playdom buying Acclaim, and Disney buying Playdom).

Before I clicked add reply I checked the trademark status and it seems like Throwback is opposing the registration of the trademark. Again, none of the parties have claim to the mark, and if the big mouse wanted it they would be able to come in and get the mark assigned with no problem.

Edited by PikoInteractive

I found this through a link on resetera (https://www.resetera.com/threads/mini-genesis-no-longer-being-made-by-atgames-using-proven-domestic-dev.69462/page-3):

https://fccid.io/2AMTQ3680SEGA18/Users-Manual/User-manual-3952641

It looks like the User Manual of the upcoming Flashback MD 2018.

The parent directory has also some interesting pictures showing the internal/external of the console as well as the menu interface (under test setup photos): https://fccid.io/2AMTQ3680SEGA18

This can be compared to the existing model which is also listed here: https://fccid.io/2AMTQ3680SEGA

Apart from the addition of SD slot, the interesting thing is that the 2018 manual has copyright notices indicating it is using Genesis Plus GX emulation code (under an agreement with the original authors) and libretro (confirmed on libretro twitter), which the 2017 manual hadn't so it appears they switched to a more accurate emulation model (more accurate also means slower though so I hope they also kinda bumped the spec of the embedded SoC)

The 2018 game list looks identical to the existing model which is a little bit disappointing but not really surprising (I guess AtGames only has access to a limited subset of Sega catalog and has to pay each time they want to license another game).

This really makes me wonder what Sega is up to with the Mega Drive Mini: from a different perspective, their latest twitt could simply mean that they have Japanese software devs working on a slightly different menu interface for AtGames Flashback MD (more adapted to Japanese market) or optimizing licensed emulation software. Off course, the most logical would be that they simply decided to make their own product and sell it worldwide, making it a direct concurrent of AtGames Flashback MD. Pure speculation, obviously... but some stuff Bill recently wrote here

There's going to be an explosion of retro-centric products hitting the market from all types of companies and in all types of form factors

could be interpreted this way ;-)

Edited by philyso

This post has ton of links to FCC listings on these things, too:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/277397-atgames-2018-speculation-thread/?p=4113688

And if you start here, you can just see everything AtGames has sent through the FCC process: https://fccid.io/2AMTQ

But oddly enough the Legends Flashback didn't make it to that site yet. Must be some sort of additional confidentiality paperwork on that thing. :lol: The game selection is interesting, at least.

Edited by derFunkenstein
  • Like 1

Oh, didn't noticed there was already a thread discussing this. Thanks for the notice!

Well, it's nobody's fault really. That link I posted is an entirely different section of the forum. It's a little scattershot, and there's a lot of overlap since both threads have devolved from being about a specific subset of flashbacks to the entire collectible mini sub-genre. Same with the PS Mini thread and the Nintendo Minis.

Maybe dedicated mini consoles need their own entire forum on AA. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Look guys, unless Sega gets Analogue on board you will never see a high quality clone come from them. Expecting Sega or AtGames to improve on quality is just wishful thinking at this point, lets just hope Analogue has us covered in this regard.

The next Sega classics is not going to be by AtGames. Sega have given them the boot to work with "someone local and who has a lot of experience porting classic Sega games " That has got to be M2. M2 kick some series arse. Everything they've touched is gold. This is the main reason for the delay in the new hardware too.

• Like 1

The next Sega classics is not going to be by AtGames. Sega have given them the boot to work with "someone local and who has a lot of experience porting classic Sega games " That has got to be M2. M2 kick some series arse. Everything they've touched is gold. This is the main reason for the delay in the new hardware too.

That AtGames is out has never been confirmed.

All the announcement said is that the product was delayed until 2019 to enable a simultaneous worldwide launch (Which is pr's excuse for the delay since everyone knew it was going to have a staggered release worldwide in 2018, so they didn't need a delay into next year). Then they mention that they've brought on a proven Japanese software developer to meet fan's expectations, which surely is the true reason for the delay into 2019.

While that appears to mean that AtGames is out when it comes to developing the software side, is does not come anywhere close to confirming that AtGames isn't still involved in some manner with this product.

Edited by Atariboy

Look guys, unless Sega gets Analogue on board you will never see a high quality clone come from them. Expecting Sega or AtGames to improve on quality is just wishful thinking at this point, lets just hope Analogue has us covered in this regard.

What would Sega possibly want with Analogue? Highly accurate FPGA clone systems aren't the type of cheaply manufactured hardware that Sega is interested in for a market where even $80 is seen as a premium price.

They're for the very dedicated classic gaming enthusiast that's willing to spend several hundred dollars for the best possible experience. It's an extremely niche marketplace with sales in the thousands rather than hundred thousands, that no retailer is going to be interested in stocking.

They have nothing to offer Sega where the plug and play marketplace is concerned.

Edited by Atariboy

What would Sega possibly want with Analogue? Highly accurate FPGA clone systems aren't the type of cheaply manufactured hardware that Sega is interested in for a market where even $80 is seen as a premium price.

They're for the very dedicated classic gaming enthusiast that's willing to spend several hundred dollars for the best possible experience. It's an extremely niche marketplace with sales in the thousands rather than hundred thousands, that no retailer is going to be interested in stocking.

They have nothing to offer Sega where the plug and play marketplace is concerned.

The point was we will never see a quality product from them unless they were to partner with the likes of Analogue.

The point was we will never see a quality product from them unless they were to partner with the likes of Analogue.

They still make quality arcade machines and hardware; if they're showing even a lick of caring about the quality control on these minis now that Nintendo've done theirs right and Sony looks to follow suit, they'll have to step it up.

By that notion, the NES and SNES Classics would also be seen as 'crap' because Analogue wasn't involved with those either. But I'm sure there's many who would disagree with that, even if it's not FPGA-based hardware emulation.

They still make quality arcade machines and hardware; if they're showing even a lick of caring about the quality control on these minis now that Nintendo've done theirs right and Sony looks to follow suit, they'll have to step it up.

By that notion, the NES and SNES Classics would also be seen as 'crap' because Analogue wasn't involved with those either. But I'm sure there's many who would disagree with that, even if it's not FPGA-based hardware emulation.

Nintendo is known for their overall quality though. The NES and SNES Classic line of consoles don't suffer from any serious issues outside input lag, but that is just an inherent issue with software emulators, but the actual emulators are fairly accurate.

Edited by SegaSnatcher