IGNORED

New Genesis Flashback

jblenkle

I have been lobbying 8bitdo in various ways for over a year now without even so little as a Twitter acknowledgement. If they weren't doing it, Hyperkin would have been my second choice (I got a Scout for SNES Classic and it's really nice, and their Genesis 6-button controllers are a far sight better than the Retrobit ones), but I'm gonna take what I can get.

Hehe. Since 2016, I've been asking them to do Genesis controllers for Mega Drive's 30th anniversary next year, but nothing. They're focused on the Nintendo Switch, which I think is a clever idea (the new SN30 and SF30 pro controllers are awesome, they will sell really well), but there's also money on the Genesis controllers market.

Who knows, maybe they actually make Genesis controllers next year. 2018 looks like a Mega drive revival year with the anniversary and the fact that retro stuff (consoles, controllers...) is getting more and more love. I don't remember the retro business being as interesting I'm 2012 as it is now.

The problem is costing them sales. I was wasting a little time at GameStop Sunday night. Desperate parents were trying to find SNES classics for their kids or their SO's and failing. Almost every one of them asked about the Sega systems and the GameStop staff was warding people off. I'll give props to the GameStop staff here - they had stacks of the AtGames consoles (both varieties) and just told people "look, you don't want this. it's better than it was in the past, but it's still janky."

"Look, you don't want this" sure seems like a misleading way to present this product; while I understand wanting better framerate etc, the Genesis FB is a lot of fun and honestly I prefer mine to my Snes Classic Mini (Cart Slot FTW). We all have our preferences (cart slot vs framerate, etc) obviously, but that sure sounds like some heavy and largely unfounded anti-AtGames bias coming from the clerks.

Mine plays every cart in my current collection, looks great in 720p, and is well worth my $70 to have. I'd LOVE an SD card slot and better framerate, sure. But that doesn't equal by any stretch telling someone shopping for their kids "look, you don't want this".

• Like 2

$70 sure is a good price. It's 100 in Europe, or at least 100 in Spain. Nearly 50% more, and 20 more than the SNES mini.

On the other hand, I just can't play Sonic games with frame rate issues. I know it's a matter of preferences, but it's uncomfortable to me. That's not what I remember from my childhood.

Snes mini doesn't support cartridges, but I added 30 more games in 5 minutes with hackchi2, so why would I want a cartridge slot?

Anyway, IMHO, there's more people that prefer accurate emulation than cartridge slot. That's some good money to be made.

• Like 1

I just know that these things are already available second hand from shopgoodwill.com for a much cheaper price than their new MSRP is. So for hacking it and checking it out, that would seem to be the best way to go to get one of these cheap.

Just a quick note to say that the instructions that I posted on adding new ROMS here

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/266499-new-genesis-flashback/?p=3895318

does not apply to all of the AtGames Sega Genesis Flashback HD (2017) units. Apparently there are at least two different software versions in the wild. The OBB version, which is what my instructions refer to, appears to be an earlier version. The newer versions don't use the OBB file and instead have all the games as part of the system partition. There are others online that have added ROMs to the newer version, which is actually easier, and I'm sure you can find that information on the internet. I do not know of any way to tell the difference except by opening up the unit and connecting via ADB and exploring the system. The OBB version will have an /sdcard/Android/obb/com.atgames.menu.hal/ folder that has a .obb file containing all of the ROM images and the all-games.ini text file. The newer version will have all of the ROM images in the /system/atgames/Geneisis/ folder. And for the record, the same appears to be true for the Atari Flashback 8 Gold HD as well. I now own 2 of the Sega units, one OBB and one not, and an Atari unit that uses OBB.

jkgamer

• Like 3

Just a quick note to say that the instructions that I posted on adding new ROMS here

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/266499-new-genesis-flashback/?p=3895318

does not apply to all of the AtGames Sega Genesis Flashback HD (2017) units. Apparently there are at least two different software versions in the wild. The OBB version, which is what my instructions refer to, appears to be an earlier version. The newer versions don't use the OBB file and instead have all the games as part of the system partition. There are others online that have added ROMs to the newer version, which is actually easier, and I'm sure you can find that information on the internet. I do not know of any way to tell the difference except by opening up the unit and connecting via ADB and exploring the system. The OBB version will have an /sdcard/Android/obb/com.atgames.menu.hal/ folder that has a .obb file containing all of the ROM images and the all-games.ini text file. The newer version will have all of the ROM images in the /system/atgames/Geneisis/ folder. And for the record, the same appears to be true for the Atari Flashback 8 Gold HD as well. I now own 2 of the Sega units, one OBB and one not, and an Atari unit that uses OBB.

jkgamer

The question on everyone's minds must be: are there any emulation differences between the two Sega units?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here comes a new challenger: http://www.seganerds.com/2018/01/15/hyperkin-is-making-a-new-genesis-plug-and-play-system-called-the-mega-retron-hd/

But it only loads cartridges. No built-in games. But with an Everdrive...

On the other hand, Retro-bit announced Sega bluetooth controllers: http://segabits.com/blog/2018/01/10/retro-bit-sega-usb-and-bluetooth-genesis-saturn-and-dreamcast-accessories-revealed/

• Like 1

Here comes a new challenger: http://www.seganerds.com/2018/01/15/hyperkin-is-making-a-new-genesis-plug-and-play-system-called-the-mega-retron-hd/

But it only loads cartridges. No built-in games. But with an Everdrive...

On the other hand, Retro-bit announced Sega bluetooth controllers: http://segabits.com/blog/2018/01/10/retro-bit-sega-usb-and-bluetooth-genesis-saturn-and-dreamcast-accessories-revealed/

I haven't tried it myself, but I've read that Hyperkin's other HD consoles don't work with an Everdrive (Supa Retron, Retron 1 HD). If this one does work with Everdrives, it'd be great.

I'd just as soon get an SD solution, though, and it's been hinted in this thread that it's coming later this year.

I will have two (or more) of those Bluetooth controllers and accompanying Genesis dongles. If they're even half-way decent, just cutting the cord will be worth it. I really like my Hyperkin Scout for SNES Classic. It does a great job.

Edited by derFunkenstein

Oops. I hope they do.

I also wonder if 8bitdo will counter-attack with their own Sega controllers. 8bitdo's quality is a given, but they don't seem too interested in anything not Nintendo-related. Actually it's likely that they provided the Bluetooth technology to Retrobit for these SEGA controllers, like they did with their Nintendo 64 Bluetooth controller.

• Like 1

AT Games Genesis PlugNPlay

I own the 80 game AT Games Genesis Flashback and spotted the newer 81 game composite output Genesis Flashback in the store. Other then one more game, any emulation improvement vs the 80 game unit?

AT Games Genesis Portable

Newest version is white compared to the older black shell. Any difference in screen brightness (TFT ?) or emulation quality?

Sound quality has always been an issue on Genesis emulation. Yes there is a hit, but not drastic as many think. I own an original Hi Def model which is reputed the best sound chip of the series. Using the Genesis headphone jack for stereo hooked up to a WEGA, sometimes I do detect a just a bit of distortion in the midi music. Of course the sound is weaker in comparison to newer disc consoles, just the quality of the hardware and coding of the era.

Edited by CRTGAMER
  • Like 1

You're right. It's like the N64 controller: you can only play that console's catalog right with the N64 gamepad layout.

I don't really mind having retro controllers for each system. Well, I don't think I'd get a Master System or a NES pad, but maybe because I didn't have them back in the day.

I always found more pleasing playing fighting games with the Mega Drive 6 button pad. Making a hadoken with R button as in the SNES layout seems uncomfortable to me. The Saturn controller, with added L2 and R2 and analog sticks, would be the perfect gamepad, usable for any system.

AT Games Genesis PlugNPlay

I own the 80 game AT Games Genesis Flashback and spotted the newer 81 game composite output Genesis Flashback in the store. Other then one more game, any emulation improvement vs the 80 game unit?

AT Games Genesis Portable

Newest version is white compared to the older black shell. Any difference in screen brightness (TFT ?) or emulation quality?

Sound quality has always been an issue on Genesis emulation. Yes there is a hit, but not drastic as many think. I own an original Hi Def model which is reputed the best sound chip of the series. Using the Genesis headphone jack for stereo hooked up to a WEGA, sometimes I do detect a just a bit of distortion in the midi music. Of course the sound is weaker in comparison to newer disc consoles, just the quality of the hardware and coding of the era.

I think the 81 games model has the old emulator, much worse than the Flashback model.

IMHO, AtGames should remove that product from their catalog. It will only harm any chance this year's model might have to convince people AtGames is delivering a good product.

• Like 1

FWIW, I've always had Far Better luck with Hyperkin than with Retro-Bit...So if anyone makes some new Genesis controllers (Wireless or otherwise) I hope it's them,....

PS I tried a Retro-Bit Genesis controller, the wired variety, and it was the worst! The D-Pad was not centered on its axis properly...Couldn't use it.

I have a hyperkin 6 button pad and it's really good. Perhaps a bit harder than the original, but maybe the original I own got loose after so many years.

The new Retrobit pads are expected to be exactly as the original, but I'll wait for the reviews to confirm it.

Edited by molul
  • Like 1

I'm puzzled by Retrobit's choice of controllers to pack in with it's new HD version of the Super Retro Trio. The old model came with SNES style controllers with a Genesis plug and they were perfectly serviceable but just not as good as a stock 6-button Genesis pad (but then again, what is?). The configuration worked just fine with all 3 systems and if I'm not mistaken even flipped B/A to Y/B for NES games.

I get that using these newer controllers is probably cheaper since they're already in production for their Super Retrocade, but using the SNES R as a Genesis C button? That's absolutely crazy, a setup that works for a grand total of 2 games (SFII' and SSFII). Even if the d-pad is fantastic they'll still be rubbish for this reason alone.

I love 8bitdo's controllers too ... but I think the SNES/Xbox button configuration is more versatile. I feel like I can control Genesis games on a SNES-type controller just fine, but not the other way around.

The solution, of course, is for 8bitdo to make a Saturn controller. Then you get the shoulder buttons that SNES games need plus the three-wide layout for Genesis games.

FWIW, I've always had Far Better luck with Hyperkin than with Retro-Bit...So if anyone makes some new Genesis controllers (Wireless or otherwise) I hope it's them,....

PS I tried a Retro-Bit Genesis controller, the wired variety, and it was the worst! The D-Pad was not centered on its axis properly...Couldn't use it.

Totally agreed. I bought two of Retro-Bit's Genesis controllers locally for like $7 each back in July at the local Mega Replay. Both of them started to have the wire fray at the controller end in about two weeks. I bought two Hyperkin controllers for about twice the price on Amazon, and it was way worth it.

Edited by derFunkenstein