IGNORED

New Genesis Flashback

jblenkle

I'm sure I remember you saying something similar about the HD Genesis Flashback :P Still, I hope you're right as I really would love a mini Mega Drive to go with my Mini C64, NES and SNES :D

This is true, although this year I have considerably more confidence in the emulator. Also, it won't be quite the same mini design for the other markets. You'll see when the announcements are made.

• Like 1

This is true, although this year I have considerably more confidence in the emulator. Also, it won't be quite the same mini design for the other markets. You'll see when the announcements are made.

I hope we still get the mini MD design here in NZ. I like the look of the Flashback but I'd prefer a scaled down MD like Sega showed off. Anyway I'm dead keen if the emulation issues are sorted and the game collection can rival the quality of the Nintendo systems :)

You get what you pay for. I mean, I guess I could understand why a more casual gamer would buy one, but not anyone who actually has a passion for Genesis games.

I have a passion for Mega Drive games. I want one yet I have no interest in an NT whatsoever as I have a Genesis 1 with HD cables. I'd much rather have the real thing than an overpriced clone console. As for the mini consoles they're just great little collectables and for a no fuss bang for buck option they can't be beaten. But you're right, definitely a more casual market generally I guess. TBH all of mine just sit in their shiny boxes as I play pretty much everything on Pi. LOL

The Flashback was official wasn't it? Can't say I'm too hopeful for this after seeing the Flashback's reviews. Wish Sega would pull a Nintendo and just make it themselves.

You know what I mean. This time is not just licensed by Sega, but also published by them. It's not the same situation. This year we have an official product.

For the love of Pete, AtGames, stop making these! You haven't gotten it right in ten years... what the hell makes you think you'll get it right this time?!

It's not so much a case as getting back on the horse after you've fallen off it... it's more like trying to ride the horse by climbing into its rectum.

Unnecessary. We all know what AtGames has made in the past. Now who can say this new model can't be better when no one has tried it yet? I'd rather wait than just throw the typical internet hate.

Honestly, at this point who here is going to waste money on said device when there is a good chance a Mega NT is already in development?

Compare the sales of SNES Classic Mini to the Super NT, hehe :)

I hope that means all the console are mini, just with each region's design :) Any estimation for a press release? I'm thrilling for more info.

Edited by molul

You know what I mean. This time is not just licensed by Sega, but also published by them. It's not the same situation. This year we have an official product.

I really don't see the difference. It's another AtGames console with Sega stamped on the box. It's no more official than the Flashback. Consoles aren't 'published' so no, I really don't know what you mean. Don't get me wrong though, if AtGames gets it together and makes a good product I'm dead keen.

To me, the difference is:

-Until 2017: Sega lets AtGames do whatever they want as long as they pay the license, as Sega is not publishing the device. They don't even speak about the product anywhere.

-2018 (Mega Drive's 30th anniversary): Sega is not in the HW business, but wants to make a mini console like the Nintendo Classic Mini line, as they notice they can make so much money. Sega has no HW facilities anymore, so what can they do? They ask AtGames, old partner, to manufacture the new console, but Sega demands a top-quality product, as Sega is investing on delivering this all around the world, and will also spend big money on promotion. That's being in charge of publishing the product. Not anything like just licensing and getting the money.

The difference is that Sega is an AtGames' customer now, asking for a well done product to be sold on Christmas.

There's a big difference.

I could be wrong, though, and maybe Sega is just re-releasing last year's Genesis Flashback, but it wouldn't make sense to me (although Sega has done many things wrong in the past).

We know there's a new emulator, a new shell (beautifully tiny, btw), new controllers, SD card... I mean, imagine that AtGames had the money to improve every single aspect we've asked them to improve since Flashback was released. I understand the negativity, but what if AtGames has been able to solve last model's problems. I mean, the Flashback was an unexpected step on the right direction. Nobody expected AtGames to make a better device, but it was underwhelming that they didn't nail it. Until I see the reviews, I'm thinking that maybe AtGames has managed to solve every issue for the next model. It's not impossible.

Guess you can just count me as optimistic :)

• Like 3

I hope that means all the console are mini, just with each region's design :)

I hope not.

This doesn't have a cartridge slot and I bet it lacks a SD slot. So I hope the North American AtGames published release retains the cartridge slot while adding the SD rom loading ability that their handhelds have.

Hi there.

Stumbled across this topic and found it intriguing, as it seems like there are some people here who work for AtGames that are taking feedback from us about the Sega Flashback HD consoles.

Before I begin, I need to point out that I was honestly pretty disappointed yesterday when I found out you guys will be making the Sega Megadrive Mini. I somehow got my hopes up that Sega themselves were developing the system, probably because they themselves presented the console on-stage in Japan. So naturally, I had the impression it was a project Sega was working on. But since AtGames is doing it, and that's all there is to it, I'd like to be as constructive as I can. I'm a very big Sega fan and I merely do not want to see Sega continue to struggle like they have been for years. So here's my feedback for the 2018 Flashback HD model:

-- Fix the menu system. This was one of the first issues I noticed with the 2017 model. It goes without saying that if you had to draw out an on-screen diagram to show people how to browse the menu system, that's a sign of an unfriendly UI. My suggestion would be to have the D-Pad buttons move the left side of the menu up and down, and either "C", A" or "Start" would select a category and move the cursor to the right side of the screen. Then you could press "C", "A" or "Start" again to actually choose a game. The "B" button would make sense as a "Back" button. Moving up with the B button and down with C makes no sense whatsoever, especially given that B is actually physically lower than C on the controller.

Another thing I would do (though this isn't totally necessary) is spruce up the appearance of the menu a bit. I'd remove the golden "HD" emblem in the top-left corner, because that looks a bit out of place and tacky. I'd also perhaps give it some background music, and make it look more Genesis-themed (e.g. the signature black background with white grid like on box covers). That would be awesome. :)

-- Fix emulation. From what videos I've seen online of the 2017 system, the emulation actually doesn't look too bad. The sound has been fixed, which is awesome. There seems to be a few reports of games crashing and/or running slowly though. I did read through this thread and it sounds like you're taking care of these issues, so that's cool.

-- Remove bonus games. Judging by previous posts, it sounds like you guys are also doing this for the 2018 edition which is nice, so thank you for that.

-- Keep the cartridge slot. Again, it sounds like you guys are doing this as well, so not much to say here. I just wanted to encourage you to keep this feature because this is actually one of the big things that people like about the Sega Flashback HD system over the NES/SNES Classic. So, good job there! :)

Anyway, that's my two cents. As you could probably tell, the big thing for me is the menu system. As a guy who works at a software company and does independent game development on the side, one thing I believe in for any software product is strong, polished presentation and straightforward usability. I think if you just fix the menu system (because the other things I mentioned seem like they're being handled already), you can make the console way more attractive.

Edited by Lodmot
  • Like 3

∆ I agree with this apart from the cart slot. Stick with the Flashback for that. It would mean we couldn't have a true MD mini with a full size slot. What would be great, and I think Ninty missed the boat here, is a mini cart slot and physical game packs available separately. This would add to the longevity of the device and I for one would be dead keen to buy stuff like the SoR trilogy on a cute little cart (though hopefully those games are already installed this time around). I know the mini cart idea is a bit of a pipe dream though.

• Like 2

Sega demands a top-quality product, as Sega is investing on delivering this all around the world, and will also spend big money on promotion. That's being in charge of publishing the product. Not anything like just licensing and getting the money.

I seriously hope you're right here!

• Like 1

∆ I agree with this apart from the cart slot. Stick with the Flashback for that. It would mean we couldn't have a true MD mini with a full size slot. What would be great, and I think Ninty missed the boat here, is a mini cart slot and physical game packs available separately. This would add to the longevity of the device and I for one would be dead keen to buy stuff like the SoR trilogy on a cute little cart (though hopefully those games are already installed this time around). I know the mini cart idea is a bit of a pipe dream though.

Carts for the NES Classic would be the size of Game Boy carts but NES shaped. I think packs of ten games each would be neat... :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Carts for the NES Classic would be the size of Game Boy carts but NES shaped. I think packs of ten games each would be neat... :thumbsup:

I actually really like the mini-carts idea too. :) That will still give the Sega Genesis Mini the advantage of expandability over the SNES Classic, while enabling you to make some money back on the improvements you make towards the new console.

If miniature carts are too expensive, the other option is having an online store. Being that your Flashback HD system makes use of Android, that gives you a very nice list of benefits that you can take advantage of. Android can make use of Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, SD cards, etc. One really good thing about the 2017 model actually is the fact that it runs on Android. From what I've seen on YouTube, the hardware specs of the Flashback HD are actually right on par with the SNES classic. So your hardware is great, and that's half the battle really (but I digress, lol).

Edited by Lodmot

That is an apples to oranges comparison. I'm sure they sold a lot more Toyota Corollas than Rolls Royces too. ;-)

The point is replying to "who here is going to waste money on said device when there is a good chance a Mega NT is already in development?". I'm sure a Sega Mega Drive Mini is more attractive than Mega NT (although it's technically better) to most people, casual or fans. Only purists would prefer the not-Sega Mega NT, and while they're loyal buyers, they're not an enormous amount.

I think it's a pretty accurate comparison and response.

Wow, that's dumb. Are they "rare" in NZ? That's equivalent to "only" 200 USD, or twenty times what that device is worth.

Nope not rare. Often come up for sale. I bought the Mega Drive version new for $60 back in 2012 but sold it pretty quickly. Lol. Being an NTSC one I assume they got it from eBay but yeah, they're worth nothing, especially when you can get the new HD version for half that price!!!

• Like 1

Some nights back I finally found some time...

And I opened and tested my Genesis Flashback HD. This is really just a quick first impression. I clicked on a few random games for a few seconds, played one level of Sonic, a game of Columns III, and a quick round of Super Columns.

Even as I was practically falling asleep on the couch at the end of it, I was quite happy with it, especially for the price I paid, (I think it was $46.40 when all was said and done, I had an ebay discount).

While I'm sure there are problems as others have noted; My main thoughts are: Though it's not a deal breaker, the Menu is wonky, as everyone says. A big games list, right off the bat, would have been better. Or if you must have categories, make them GENESIS GAMES, MASTER SYSTEM GAMES, GAME GEAR GAMES, and BONUS GAMES. And then just click on the one you want. Just my 2 cents.

Second, I was so happy to see Super Columns, as I always felt that that was one game that deserved a cart release on Genesis BITD, But so disappointed to see this Giant Game Gear graphic taking up so much screen space while the actual game screen was small. I'd need a 70 inch TV to make this worthwhile,....ARRRGGG!

As far as missing frames, corrupt ROMs, and bad music,...I'm not denying they exist, and again I was tired as hell, and my eyesight may have been compromised by a combination of brand new glasses and falling asleep while playing haha...But I didn't see it. The HDMI graphics really popped to my tired eyes and looked Fantastic! But I'm not comparing this to computer monitors and Emulators,...I'm comparing it to my Actual Genesis (an S-Video mod, converted to HDMI) and the "fun" of hooking them up to modern displays. A Panasonic 1080p HDTV, in this case.

I think this may have been a deal where I allowed internet opinions to influence my own before I even tried the thing, as I had my expectations lowered a great deal. And I was pleasantly surprised.

Edited by GoldLeader
  • Like 2

Some nights back I finally found some time...

And I opened and tested my Genesis Flashback HD. This is really just a quick first impression. I clicked on a few random games for a few seconds, played one level of Sonic, a game of Columns III, and a quick round of Super Columns.

Even as I was practically falling asleep on the couch at the end of it, I was quite happy with it, especially for the price I paid, (I think it was $46.40 when all was said and done, I had an ebay discount).

While I'm sure there are problems as others have noted; My main thoughts are: Though it's not a deal breaker, the Menu is wonky, as everyone says. A big games list, right off the bat, would have been better. Or if you must have categories, make them GENESIS GAMES, MASTER SYSTEM GAMES, GAME GEAR GAMES, and BONUS GAMES. And then just click on the one you want. Just my 2 cents.

Second, I was so happy to see Super Columns, as I always felt that that was one game that deserved a cart release on Genesis BITD, But so disappointed to see this Giant Game Gear graphic taking up so much screen space while the actual game screen was small. I'd need a 70 inch TV to make this worthwhile,....ARRRGGG!

As far as missing frames, corrupt ROMs, and bad music,...I'm not denying they exist, and again I was tired as hell, and my eyesight may have been compromised by a combination of brand new glasses and falling asleep while playing haha...But I didn't see it. The HDMI graphics really popped to my tired eyes and looked Fantastic! But I'm not comparing this to computer monitors and Emulators,...I'm comparing it to my Actual Genesis (an S-Video mod, converted to HDMI) and the "fun" of hooking them up to modern displays. A Panasonic 1080p HDTV, in this case.

I think this may have been a deal where I allowed internet opinions to influence my own before I even tried the thing, as I had my expectations lowered a great deal. And I was pleasantly surprised.

Yeah, it's a good system. Could be improved, but there's a lot to like. I really dislike the opinions that say things like "If you like this turd you don't know the Genesis". I have been playing the Genesis since Sonic 2, and I am happy with this slick little HDMI wireless job. Not sure what some were expecting, but I am happy with it and find the flaws existent but not significant for what I'm after.

• Like 2

I think there are two factors to consider: the existence of a NES and SNES mini (which had no flaws) and the fact that people easily exaggerate their feelings on the internet. The Genesis Flashback is not the perfect product, but it was mostly fine.

To me, it was a necessary step on the right direction, and now that Sega is on board, I think many people (me included) will change their opinion about AtGames when first reviews appear. I can be seen as a blind fanboy, but I'm just being optimistic until I see the device in action. The fact that a company hasn't nailed a product yet doesn't mean it can't do it someday. I might be wrong but I tend to be positive.

• Like 1

I think there are two factors to consider: the existence of a NES and SNES mini (which had no flaws) and the fact that people easily exaggerate their feelings on the internet. The Genesis Flashback is not the perfect product, but it was mostly fine.

To me, it was a necessary step on the right direction, and now that Sega is on board, I think many people (me included) will change their opinion about AtGames when first reviews appear. I can be seen as a blind fanboy, but I'm just being optimistic until I see the device in action. The fact that a company hasn't nailed a product yet doesn't mean it can't do it someday. I might be wrong but I tend to be positive.

I agree with this. ^^ Also if you think back to the Master System, that one didn't quite put a dent in the marketplace either, but the Genesis did. The thing AtGames has to worry about next though is that their quality is consistently good. Because after Sega did the Genesis, they kept making a ton of mistakes until the Dreamcast.

Edited by Lodmot
  • Like 1