IGNORED

New Genesis Flashback

jblenkle

I really hope it's not to late to change this. Why can't they just ask a few people outside the project or even the reviewers themselves. Seems pretty silly to go out on a whim like that. The user interface should be solid. It's the first thing you see when you fire up the system.

I don't think it's quite as dramatic as you make it out to be. It works and is pretty speedy now, which is what's most important. They have plenty of eyes on UI/UX these days and there are definite improvements in the HD products.

I don't think it's quite as dramatic as you make it out to be. It works and is pretty speedy now, which is what's most important. They have plenty of eyes on UI/UX these days and there are definite improvements in the HD products.

I would agree with you... It's not a game breaker but atgames is trying to change their image and come back from the wave of negative reviews. I can definitely see atgames taking a hit on this point. It's not a secret that Sonic is Sega's largest franchise. Sonic is the highlighted character and main imaging on the Box for the Genesis Flashback. You have to agree that it is kind of silly for them to get knocked for something simple like this.

As I was asking though, why go out on a whim with this type of idea. Simply ask a few people or ask the reviewers how they would like the menu.

Are you saying this will be the finalized menu?

Edited by TokyoBatman

I would agree with you... It's not a game breaker but atgames is trying to change their image and come back from the wave of negative reviews. I can definitely see atgames taking a hit on this point. It's not a secret that Sonic is Sega's largest franchise. Sonic is the highlighted character and main imaging on the Box for the Genesis Flashback. You have to agree that it is kind of silly for them to get knocked for something simple like this.

As I was asking though, why go out on a whim with this type of idea. Simply ask a few people or ask the reviewers how they would like the menu.

Are you saying this will be the finalized menu?

Yes, it's the final. They got plenty of feedback on it. Again, I'm on the side of more menu categories, but I can also understand the desire to keep things simpler. Again, it's not like there aren't options for the user to set up their own category with the favorites option.

I also doubt they'll take much of a hit by not having the two additional categories. I think all that most people care about at this point is does the overall user interface and user experience work well (I'd say it does), and of course, most importantly, does it perform as expected (and again, I'd say it does).

Yes, it's the final. They got plenty of feedback on it. Again, I'm on the side of more menu categories, but I can also understand the desire to keep things simpler. Again, it's not like there aren't options for the user to set up their own category with the favorites option.

I also doubt they'll take much of a hit by not having the two additional categories. I think all that most people care about at this point is does the overall user interface and user experience work well (I'd say it does), and of course, most importantly, does it perform as expected (and again, I'd say it does).

I believe the idea of keeping things simple is a good one and legitimate. The big question is why have "mortal kombat" as it's own category? That seems to be out in left field somewhere. Aren't there only 3 mortal kombat games? And aren't there almost 10 sonic games.

The feedback was to run with "mortal kombat" as a category instead of the huge character that's being promoted on the box?

Edited by TokyoBatman

If I were AtGames, I'd include a parental control software switch to optionally lock out the gross and violent Mortal Kombat games.

Do we have a new ETA for this?

Ok so they are putting these 3 categories, "Sega Games", "Mortal Kombat", and "Bonus Games" on the main screen. What franchise do you think most people, yourself included, would prefer on that start screen:

Alex Kid

Fantasy Zone

Golden Axe

Mortal Kombat

Phantasy Star

Shining Force

Sonic

Vectorman

Ok so they are putting these 3 categories, "Sega Games", "Mortal Kombat", and "Bonus Games" on the main screen. What franchise do you think most people, yourself included, would prefer on that start screen:

Alex Kid

Fantasy Zone

Golden Axe

Mortal Kombat

Phantasy Star

Shining Force

Sonic

Vectorman

I don't share the compulsion to sort everything into categories. A sort by "genre" would be a decent way to do it, but then you're stuck deciding what's "action" and what's "adventure" and pointing out that there aren't any racing games on the thing.

A simple A-Z list would be fine with me, especially if the "non-classic" shovelware were removed. If it has to be in there, it's OK to have it off in a separate category.

To answer your question, yes yes people like Sonic. They will be able to find him under the Sega games. They'll also see the block of 4 Phantasy Star games and the block of 3 Golden Axe games.

The Mortal Kombat are the only licensed third party games on there. If I were granting a license to this thing I'd want top billing for my stuff, too. In its own category. Maybe that's the $ource of the loude$t/mo$t powerful feedback.

Of all the potential issues with a product like this, the default sort isn't something that I would think to complain about. Use the Favorites list for simple curation.

The Mortal Kombat are the only licensed third party games on there. If I were granting a license to this thing I'd want top billing for my stuff, too. In its own category. Maybe that's the $ource of the loude$t/mo$t powerful feedback.

I think you may have nailed the reasoning for this. I was literally baffled by this choice. Thanks for clearing that up.

This seems to be where atgames has fallen short in the past. Not thinking about the bigger picture and what the consumers would want.

I agree with your ideas about sorting... And that it's not going to be a major problem if everything is working smoothly (controls/emulation/sound).

I can see how they'll get a ding though. It just doesn't make sense from a consumer's standpoint to have Mortal Kombat (with only 3 games) as a standout on the main menu.

If it's the only thing the reviewers complain about, this thing will be a success. Seems like an unnecessary bonk when you bench your star like this.

The issues are ironed. This now works as well as any similar console out there. Everything performs, looks, and sounds the way it should. Even SMS and Game Gear games look really good now, although speech samples and FM sound are not supported in the SMS games.

The lack of flash cart support or SD card slot is still a deal breaker, unfortunately. Not that I absolutely gotta pirate everything, but the carts are becoming more and more rare with each passing day. It's not going to be too awful long into the future where dumped ROMs are all that's left for a lot of folks.

The lack of flash cart support or SD card slot is still a deal breaker, unfortunately. Not that I absolutely gotta pirate everything, but the carts are becoming more and more rare with each passing day. It's not going to be too awful long into the future where dumped ROMs are all that's left for a lot of folks.

If you want that then something like the Retro Freak is your answer.

If you want that then something like the Retro Freak is your answer.

Definitely, at least for now. But I don't understand the resistance. If this is a ROM player, then AtGames just needs to give us another way to play ROMs. I'd gladly pay a little more, because it's going to be cheaper than a Genesis HDMI mod.

Whats up with the release date? Target still has it slated for Sept. 22nd but Best Buy updated theirs to Oct. 8th and Game Stop just changed theirs to Nov. 10!

I doubt the 3 retailers will have 3 different release dates but I know they had to fix the menu and address some performance issues so I'm assuming it did get pushed back but would love clarification on the change if there is one. thanks.

I'll also note I preordered it from Wal-Mart for $59.02 which at the time said it was supposed to be delivered on the 9th but I knew this was a typo when I preordered it and I already got an email saying that theres a delay in shipping. The Wal-Mart page also says it's for "Adults Only" and lists the release date as happening on 12/09/2016. At first I thought maybe this was for an older flashback or maybe it was from a third party seller who just listed it wrong but it has the correct picture and lists the new features(HDMI, 2.4ghz controllers, 85 games) and it says sold and shipped by Wal-Mart plus they have since changed the price back to $69.96 which is the price the other retailers are selling it for so I know the page is for the correct item.

Whats up with the release date? Target still has it slated for Sept. 22nd but Best Buy updated theirs to Oct. 8th and Game Stop just changed theirs to Nov. 10!

I doubt the 3 retailers will have 3 different release dates but I know they had to fix the menu and address some performance issues so I'm assuming it did get pushed back but would love clarification on the change if there is one. thanks.

I'll also note I preordered it from Wal-Mart for $59.02 which at the time said it was supposed to be delivered on the 9th but I knew this was a typo when I preordered it and I already got an email saying that theres a delay in shipping. The Wal-Mart page also says it's for "Adults Only" and lists the release date as happening on 12/09/2016. At first I thought maybe this was for an older flashback or maybe it was from a third party seller who just listed it wrong but it has the correct picture and lists the new features(HDMI, 2.4ghz controllers, 85 games) and it says sold and shipped by Wal-Mart plus they have since changed the price back to $69.96 which is the price the other retailers are selling it for so I know the page is for the correct item.

The Genesis Flashback received a significant software overhaul, which has pushed the release date back to, at the moment, some time in early October. There are still a few tweaks being made to try and further increase cartridge compatibility, believe it or not. In any case, what gets released is the product it always should have been. What went out for review was not how it was intended to be.

That must be due to the Mortal Kombat games. I wonder if the presence of those titles hurts or helps the sales of this thing?

There was an internal question within AtGames a few years back about this. If we had to put the M rating on the box, there was a concern that certain retailers like Wal-Mart wouldn't carry it. I forget how it was resolved, but there's apparently some loophole that because these are legacy games that there doesn't have to be a specific rating on it (or some such thing). I could be misremembering the resolution, of course.

• Like 2

No flash carts work with it.

Have any of the homebrews that use flash based chips in them been tested? I can think of Mini-Planets and Escape 2042 right off hand although my recent YM2017 cart appeas to use flash chips in it to store the program rom. Just curious how or why these particular carts if they don't work, would be so much different from a standard masked rom or eprom cart since a stock Genesis can't tell the difference either?

The Genesis Flashback received a significant software overhaul, which has pushed the release date back to, at the moment, some time in early October. There are still a few tweaks being made to try and further increase cartridge compatibility, believe it or not. In any case, what gets released is the product it always should have been. What went out for review was not how it was intended to be.

Thanks for the quick reply, I don't mind october especially if it means more fixes and better cart compatibility. I'm really hoping this succeeds also any chance we see an hd release of the portable in the future with save states which i think is really important when playing on the go? Also would love to see wired controllers(I'll be using my original 6-button but would like a wired option with that rewind feature) or at least do rechargeable wireless so I don't have to break out the screwdriver to change the batts.

That must be due to the Mortal Kombat games. I wonder if the presence of those titles hurts or helps the sales of this thing?

That would make sense but I did a little more Wal-Mart browsing and last years Atgames Sega PNP also had all 3 mortal kombats but doesn't have the adults only tag but atari flashback classics vol 1 and 2 for xbox one does have it.

I would hope the strategic plan has them bringing their high end hardware to the handheld line one of these days.

Yes, although not the same hardware. If all goes well, the 2018 handhelds could be extremely impressive. We'll see. Right now, the 2017 products are still the focus, obviously.

• Like 2