IGNORED

RetroN 77

jeremiahjt

If the other buttons are in menu it may not be that big of a deal. I have the Flashback Classics on PS4 and you can make the console switches appear and then go back into the game.

The delay necessary to do that though could well be the difference in earning "patch" scores in Starmaster. It's a lot faster to just flick a switch and bring up the map than it would be to do something to bring up on OSD, select an option and return to play.

• Like 1

It would be better with the switches, but this is still an instant purchase for me. It takes carts, the price is right, and I hope it leads to bigger and better things

My hope is that if enough of these sell, they will produce a future model that will accept 2600, 5200 and 7800 carts. We will need to show some love.

• Like 1

If it runs Harmony cartidge, it is not an emulator + dumper. Could be a brand new Atari SOAC with digital upscaler. Who knows...

Who knows? The person posting pictures said it was based on Stella so if it's version 3.9.3 or newer it should play DPC+ carts.

One thing I forgot to mention earlier. The kid who made this product is a new engineer that just joined the company a year ago. I say "kid" because I swear he looks like he's in his 20s. It always makes me happy to see youngsters embracing the 2600 :D. He was a perfect gentleman. He was very patient, answered any question I had, and personally demoed the console to everyone who came along. He was extremely enthusiastic about this project. You could tell it was his baby. He also personally convinced the company to let him make it despite management concerns that it might be a "risky project." I have to say that I admired his dedication and enthusiasm. It gives me great hope for the RetroN 77.

I kept telling him that he needs to check out AtariAge and sign up. Hopefully he'll become a member.

• Like 15

There's no legality issues with hardware supporting multicarts.

If there was, it's in essence stating that hardware with expired patents with no copyrighted code like an operating system, is only legal to replicate as long as you don't do a good enough job of it by approaching 100% authenticity. Not only is that just hogwash, history tells us that you legally could replicate the 2600 even during the height of its commercial life.

I don't know why Hyperkin rolls out that excuse for, but at least they're not using it to just dismiss support completely like they did with the Retron 5 (When the real reason that they didn't work on that system was the nature of the system itself). Hopefully no incompatibilities get introduced during development that result in the Harmony cart not working later on, with legal reasons conveniently rolled back out as the excuse to deflect criticism.

That said, they have my attention and likely my support when they roll this out. Pet peeve aside, I like the looks of this so far.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 2

One thing I forgot to mention earlier. The kid who made this product is a new engineer that just joined the company a year ago. I say "kid" because I swear he looks like he's in his 20s. It always makes me happy to see youngsters embracing the 2600 :D. He was a perfect gentleman. He was very patient, answered any question I had, and personally demoed the console to everyone who came along. He was extremely enthusiastic about this project. You could tell it was his baby. He also personally convinced the company to let him make it despite management concerns that it might be a "risky project." I have to say that I admired his dedication and enthusiasm. It gives me great hope for the RetroN 77.

I kept telling him that he needs to check out AtariAge and sign up. Hopefully he'll become a member.

Nice of him to convince management. As I stated earlier within this thread, if we wish to see this flourish into a console with 2600/5200/7800 etc. support, then we need to show him and management some love.

Can't wait to see the specs for the finished product. Thanks again for the pics and updates.

• Like 3

I love my old Atari, but I'm in when this gets released, anything that helps keep Atari alive and kicking is worth throwing some money at. That's coming from a guy whose income is so limited that he doesn't even own a cell phone or have cable/satellite. :rolling:

• Like 2