IGNORED

RetroN 77

jeremiahjt

If $80 is the starting price then where will it actually land? Remember the Retron 5 was originally around $80 I believe then the price went up a couple of times. As a Canadian who needs to add about 30% to any MSRP, I'm starting to think the Retron 77 will not fall into my price/desire venn diagram

At $40, I would go out of my way to find one, and I would not be too critical of faults like missing switches or cart orientation.

For $80, I might pick one up if I happened to see one somewhere, but I'd start questioning if I really need one- especially since my modded 7800 isn't giving me any problems.

I mean, I still want it to do well if it leads to newer better things, but...

Glad you pointed that out since that line in the article irked me as well. It would be a no-brainer to default to 4:3 and have an option for 16:9 (or do away with that option altogether), but considering what Hyperkin did with the newest SupaBoy S, it's probably not a given as bizarre as that seems.

The back of the box states there's a 4:3/16:9 switch.

I'm disappointed in the lack of hardware console switches though. Having to go through the front-end sounds sloppy. If they haven't finalized it, hopefully they'll reconsider. Even if they could be added externally via the USB port, that would help. A cheap add-on or DIY kit.

I also haven't seen any mention of it supporting the AtariVox yet.

OK,

So I'm awake, barely and just now hearing about this...I'm usually late to the party (physically and metaphorically)...But most parties don't really heat up until later anyway ha!

And I am super stoked!! Although some games would not play without those missing switches, even if this unit is priced higher than they expect, it would still be worth it I think. They better not throw around words about it playing all games though, unless it really does...(Not sure if this has been covered,...Just an off the cuff thought).

And I gotta agree with everyone who says the cartridge port should at least face the right direction. Unless there is some technical reason. I mean if you've just played an actual VCS, then you plug in this and start smashing your cartridges up...OK maybe we're not all Neanderthals here, but still...It would be like putting out a car but switching the brake and gas pedals just to be different.

Anyway, Overall I consider this very good news!

Technically, the Atari 2600 and subsequent 7800 were backwards. Every other game system I know of had the labels facing front and right side up when inserted. When I first picked up an Atari in 2012, it took a while to condition myself to insert the carts "backwards"...

• Like 1

Never really could understand why the labels on the Atari VCS were situated the way they were. I guess some logistical flow following the idea that the text on the end label would be legible and the cart needed to flipped connector side down, therefore the artwork would need to go upside down....instead of flipping the text label around and placing the label upside-up on the front, which would make even more sense.. no, not buying it. icon_razz.gif

The VCS isn't completely toploading but kind of inbetween because it is at an angle but still with mostly a front loading look because the end label faces you. So, even if the label was on the other side it would be facing more down instead of forward. It would also look ugly with that look because the black backside of the cart is suppose to blend in with the black of the VCS to make the look of the end label pop out while also making it look like the text of the end label is taking the space of "Video Computer System" to put that behind the cart as if the text changed from the name of the console to the name of the game. That is why the official carts are of the same texture as the VCS. The VCS also wasn't designed to be played from a distance while looking at it straight on like on an entertainment center but close to you more like a Pong console and viewed looking down at an angle that matches the downward angle that the end labels and switches are facing. So, it was meant to be played within reaching distance like right in front of you on a coffee table which is also why the controllers plug in the back. In other words, it was meant to be viewed and played at this angle with this look which would have looked really odd with the labels facing down:

timeline_memorystorage_1977.atarivcs.jpg

NES carts have their front and end labels oriented the same way with the only difference being that they insert completely down instead of slightly down at an angle.

• Like 5

Wait, the author suggests that you can "fry" cartridges the way you could with an original 2600. That's pretty accurate emulation if it's true!

If true, then it is real hardware based (not Stella) and all our Harmony carts and DCP+ games will work, assuming the hardware is accurate. If the bus stuffing demos work on it, then that would be epic!

• Like 1

Technically, the Atari 2600 and subsequent 7800 were backwards. Every other game system I know of had the labels facing front and right side up when inserted. When I first picked up an Atari in 2012, it took a while to condition myself to insert the carts "backwards"...

Like Schizo said, the angle would make a difference. I'd pay extra for that!
  • Like 1

The issue here for me is the switches...

Several games make use of the switches during gameplay, but as an extreme example, let's look at the Starpath game Phaser Patrol, which apparently might be playable either via Harmony cart or Supercharger.

In Phaser Patrol the Color/BW switch toggles Shields. Left Diff toggles Star Map. Right Diff toggles Challenge Level.

In this game you need to constantly be turning your shields on and off to save energy, constantly toggling the star map, etc. If all of that has to be done through some sort of menu system, it's going to ruin the experience.

Why would they even bother with some clunky menu system when they can just have 6 toggle switches?

Saw this today. The output look beautiful. It was many times better than the coaxial adapter I use now.

Andrew, the engineer on site said that they are now considering both 7800 and 5200 compatibility as well, but was not definite about "how" it would be achieved yet.

He also said the company is well-aware of the discussions here, and the last thing they want to do is to disappoint Atari Age members with something that was not legitimate.

• Like 9

There are WAY too many people saying that $80 is fine. It's not. Keep in mind that some people live on fixed incomes. Everyone can't throw $80 around like it's nothing. Even poor people can probably save up $40 for something to enjoy (besides food and running water). The first price that was mentioned here was $40 and people were happy with that, then someone brings up $80 and people are still jumping for joy, even though the price just doubled. Given the fact that we REALLY don't know what it's going to sell for, why don't we all just shut up until we know for sure. If everyone keeps screaming that $80 is a great deal and someone from Hyper-whatever reads it, guess how much it's going to cost???? $80, what a surprise. How bout I jump on the bandwagon and get about 10 or 20 other members to say they will buy it at $150 ? It's common sense people, don't drive the price up before it's even been officially announced. :mad:

Here's where my logic stands on this, I can buy a 2600 for around $30-50 (just look on eBay). I can then buy a cheap AV mod kit for $10 (again, just look on eBay). I now have between $40 and $60 in an original Atari that will work with any TV I'm likely to own. These prices are FACTS, you can look them up. Now, that's original hardware. THEN, emulators are FREE! So, if I can use free emulators or original hardware, why would I pay more than $40 for this? I wouldn't. You know what, now that I think about it, everyone can go ahead and throw around how much they are willing to pay, because I just realized I don't need this thing as long as I can get a REAL 2600. :-D

I'd like to say "Thanks" to all the $80 people who helped me realize I'm not interested in this thing! :thumbsup:

Edited by RamrodHare
  • Like 2

If this is just Stella in a box, $40 is fine, assuming they get whatever permissions they need this time around. Or could it be SOC based (are there good atari SOC out there?).

No way I am shelling out $80 if it is just Stella in a box though.

Now if they do add 5200 and 7800 compatibility, that is something else. Some how I doubt 5200. Would need another cart slot.

My prediction is that this thread will have an infinite number of replies, half of them being silly pictures & YouTube videos.

I don't know about that.

Anyways. here is my mock up of the newly designed Retron77 with the cartridge facing the player and the label right side up so you can see what you are playing clearly.

I also added buttons to the joysticks for Difficulty and B&W switchs...

post-544-0-16600800-1497490554_thumb.jpg

You have to be realistic when it comes to the price.

Yes, you can go onto Ebay and buy an original 2600, complete with a pile of games, for $50 or less, and the AV mod kit for $10.

But if you want really crisp picture quality, you need to go for the RGB mod, which costs $100 just for the kit, $100 to have it professionally installed.

I would be happy to pay $80 for this system. $80 is a fine price for a system that can play 2600 carts via HDMI. That's what I want, and I'm going to buy a couple of these even if they're $80.

I don't want to deal with mod kits, mailing a system in to get modded, buying a $350 Framemeister, etc. I just want an HDMI system that can plug into my modern TV and look amazing. Hopefully that's what this will be.

• Like 4

You have to be realistic when it comes to the price.

Yes, you can go onto Ebay and buy an original 2600, complete with a pile of games, for $50 or less, and the AV mod kit for $10.

But if you want really crisp picture quality, you need to go for the RGB mod, which costs $100 just for the kit, $100 to have it professionally installed.

I would be happy to pay $80 for this system. $80 is a fine price for a system that can play 2600 carts via HDMI. That's what I want, and I'm going to buy a couple of these even if they're $80.

I don't want to deal with mod kits, mailing a system in to get modded, buying a $350 Framemeister, etc. I just want an HDMI system that can plug into my modern TV and look amazing. Hopefully that's what this will be.

OK, You make a good point. I probably rambled on a bit in my post and pulled it slightly off topic because I was annoyed. I agree, having the console output via HDMI, is an advantage. My point was, if everyone keeps saying it's worth $80, before the official price has been set, the chance, that Hyper-whatsit will charge more than they had originally planned, increases. making the console cost more than the "average" person can justify. Here in East TN, most everyone I know makes between $250 and $400 a week. They also have rent, car payments, electric, cell phone, water, cable bills, etc. I know there are a lot of places in the USA and around the world, where $80 is probably pocket change, but there are also places where it isn't. People constantly saying $80 is great, (when the plan may have been to release it at $40) may very well cause it to be released at $80, pricing "average" people out of the game. That's the point I'm trying to make. People don't need to keep throwing a dollar amount around. The makers of this thing want to make a profit, if they see people will throw $80 at it without a second thought, that's what they will sell it for. If you were looking to buy a new car, would you start telling the dealer you would pay $20,000, without knowing he was only asking $10,000? That's what's happening here, but people seem to be oblivious to it. :_(

Edited by RamrodHare