IGNORED

RetroN 77

jeremiahjt

No chance of the 5200. Would require an additional cartridge port and a completely different controller that wouldn't be an ideal substitute for digital 2600 games. Not to mention that then we're talking things like how far do they take it such as including two 5200 controller ports in addition to the two 2600 controller ports.

The absence of the 7800 though is a disappointment. Even if the stock CX-40 lookalike was only compatible with single button 7800 games and we had to plug in our own controller for the rest into the legacy controller ports on it, we're not looking at much of an extra expense, hardware wise.

Hopefully they at least had the foresight to plan ahead with their cartridge port design that I assume is custom designed and manufactured, since we all know how these companies are once they lock into a design. If it's 7800 compatible and all they need is the emulation software to enable compatibility, maybe we'd see it be patched in or added to a revision a year or two down the road.

Edited by Atariboy

In all the years this forum has been around. I'm surprised nobody banded together to get a console that is "VCS faithful" into production. Oh sure we've seen plenty of FPGA, emulation, and other 1-off projects. But nothing to replace the original. Not without compromises.

It'd be cool to see an originally "shaped" console with 6 switches, that plays all cartridges, accepts all controllers, and has an SD slot tucked away in the back. All the while supporting standard RF, composite, and HDMI.

A no-compromises console. Nothing sacrificed in place of something else. Essentially it would be identical to a sixer, with the only giveaways being a few extra ports/connectors on the back - discretely hidden.

• Like 12

The issue here for me is the switches...

Several games make use of the switches during gameplay, but as an extreme example, let's look at the Starpath game Phaser Patrol, which apparently might be playable either via Harmony cart or Supercharger.

In Phaser Patrol the Color/BW switch toggles Shields. Left Diff toggles Star Map. Right Diff toggles Challenge Level.

In this game you need to constantly be turning your shields on and off to save energy, constantly toggling the star map, etc. If all of that has to be done through some sort of menu system, it's going to ruin the experience.

Why would they even bother with some clunky menu system when they can just have 6 toggle switches?

Honestly it isn't that bad. I don't even play those types of games because usually I've got six foot extensions daisy-chained, and reaching up to toggle the switches is a PITA. One reason I am thankful many homebrews (like Space Rocks) have in game menus and basically ignore the difficulty switches, allowing you to select game mode and start from a joystick.

So your example of hitting a menu to toggle the virtual switches might make it easier for the couch potato gamer who doesn't want to be bothered by switches. Now that 3 foot HDMI cord, what on earth were they thinking???

There are WAY too many people saying that $80 is fine. It's not. Keep in mind that some people live on fixed incomes. Everyone can't throw $80 around like it's nothing. Even poor people can probably save up $40 for something to enjoy (besides food and running water). The first price that was mentioned here was $40 and people were happy with that, then someone brings up $80 and people are still jumping for joy, even though the price just doubled. Given the fact that we REALLY don't know what it's going to sell for, why don't we all just shut up until we know for sure. If everyone keeps screaming that $80 is a great deal and someone from Hyper-whatever reads it, guess how much it's going to cost???? $80, what a surprise. How bout I jump on the bandwagon and get about 10 or 20 other members to say they will buy it at $150 ? It's common sense people, don't drive the price up before it's even been officially announced. :mad:

Here's where my logic stands on this, I can buy a 2600 for around $30-50 (just look on eBay). I can then buy a cheap AV mod kit for $10 (again, just look on eBay). I now have between $40 and $60 in an original Atari that will work with any TV I'm likely to own. These prices are FACTS, you can look them up. Now, that's original hardware. THEN, emulators are FREE! So, if I can use free emulators or original hardware, why would I pay more than $40 for this? I wouldn't. You know what, now that I think about it, everyone can go ahead and throw around how much they are willing to pay, because I just realized I don't need this thing as long as I can get a REAL 2600. :-D

I'd like to say "Thanks" to all the $80 people who helped me realize I'm not interested in this thing! :thumbsup:

Word. I recently purchased a (real name retracted due to RWB) Gemini, AV modded, from a fellow member for $45. Unbelievable as he only charged the raw cost of parts and not labor!

I would pay $40 in a heartbeat for an HD Atari clone whether or not Harmony, Pitfall II, Space Rocks, etc works because what a deal, even if some homebrew or flash devices don't work. If this device retails at $80, compatibility had better be PERFECT before I even consider it. At $80, I have to make budgetary decisions about whether to get this or the AtGames Activision Gold flashback.

And if this sells boatloads more at $40, Hyperkin stands to make more money even with smaller margins, than at $80. My two cents.

• Like 1

I just got back from E3 and I had an opportunity to speak for some time with the engineer developing the Retron77. I was able to glean the following information through our discussion:

• The Retron77 is (supposedly) 100% compatible with all cartridges (although I was only able to test Combat, Missile Command and Pac-Man)
  • The Retron77 WILL NOT have an SD cart slot :(
  • However, it is (supposedly) compatible with the Harmony Cart :)
  • The displayed unit is just a working prototype, Hyperkin is shooting for a Christmas 2017 release. The final version may look different and will have additional switches on the console.
  • Price is not yet decided, but it sounds like they are shooting for a $50 price point
  • The console is (supposedly) compatible WITH ALL Atari controllers
  • The prototype only displays in 16x9 aspect ratio, but the final version will display 4x3 aspect ration, and other display modes (eg. simulated scan-lines, etc.)
  • The console is is running the Stella emulator. I was told they are working with the Stella team for legal licensing (I hope this does not come as a surprise to the Stella developers). Presumably, this should guarantee 100% compatibility.
  • Home-brew carts should work as well. I was told that the Donkey Kong remake runs on the console.
  • It sounds like save states may or may not exist on the final console.
  • The console has HDMI output (and the image was very clean)
  • The joysticks are hard wired and use the standard 9 pin Atari configuration. The feel of the joysticks was reminiscent of the original Atari joysticks

I apologize for the picture quality. All pictures were shot with my phone, and it was pretty dark at the booth.

• Like 16

If it plays Pitfall II and can handle that kooky 32-in-1 cart gracefully I'll consider it for HDMI and leave my 7800 console for 7800 games only. For some reason my TV only displays properly from 2600 games via RF. If I play any 2600 games via AV mod on my 2600 or 7800, I am missing every other line like my TV is discarding one whole field. 7800 games play fine over AV mod.

I just got back from E3 and I had an opportunity to speak for some time with the engineer developing the Retron77. I was able to glean the following information through our discussion:

• The Retron77 is (supposedly) 100% compatible with all cartridges (although I was only able to test Combat, Missile Command and Pac-Man)
  • The displayed unit is just a working prototype, Hyperkin is shooting for a Christmas 2017 release. The final version may look different and will have additional switches on the console.
  • Price is not yet decided, but it sounds like they are shooting for a $50 price point
  • The prototype only displays in 16x9 aspect ratio, but the final version will display 4x3 aspect ration, and other display modes (eg. simulated scan-lines, etc.)
  • The console is is running the Stella emulator. I was told they are working with the Stella team for legal licensing (I hope this does not come as a surprise to the Stella developers). Presumably, this should guarantee 100% compatibility.
  • Home-brew carts should work as well. I was told that the Donkey Kong remake runs on the console.
  • The joysticks are hard wired and use the standard 9 pin Atari configuration. The feel of the joysticks was reminiscent of the original Atari joysticks

I apologize for the picture quality. All pictures were shot with my phone, and it was pretty dark at the booth.

Any word on if it handles PAL game carts or others with weird scanline counts? Odd how it runs emulation but also supports flash carts. How is this possible?

• Like 1

Thanks so much for the info man!

• Like 1

Just one little nitpick from the picture. The 2600 cart seems backward! When you plug into 2600jr the end label are "right way" for reading even though the main label would face away. On the RetroN, the cart is rotated so the top label is facing user but the top label generally looks upside down when inserted and the end label would also look upside down on RetroN if they don't flip the cart slot to match 2600jr orientation.

• Like 2

The discussions about not having all the switches making all the games not fully compatible and hopes for adding in the 7800 reminds me how even the 7800 doesn't have full backwards compatibility because the 7800 pause button is just the color/bw switch going from color to bw when pressed and then back to color again when released. So, it can't be kept in the bw position. That is why if someone is into both the VCS and 7800 while wanting full compatibility with all games owning both is required. Therefore, if one was to start with the idea of recreating a 7800 with an added color/bw switch while still having the pause button by only one being used based on if it is in 7800 or VCS mode then that would be adding something we haven't had a before. Or in VCS mode the color/bw switch would be activated and the pause button too but the pause button changes function to being like a VCS pause mod. It would be the first fully backwards compatible 7800. Especially if it is also compatible with PAL games.

• Like 1

I haven't heard anything yet, but it's still early days I guess, and we will see what happens. I'm certainly not concerned at this point, as the project only just appeared a little while ago, so they're probably still hip-deep in all sorts of work, issues, etc.

• Like 1

In all the years this forum has been around. I'm surprised nobody banded together to get a console that is "VCS faithful" into production. Oh sure we've seen plenty of FPGA, emulation, and other 1-off projects. But nothing to replace the original. Not without compromises.

It'd be cool to see an originally "shaped" console with 6 switches, that plays all cartridges, accepts all controllers, and has an SD slot tucked away in the back. All the while supporting standard RF, composite, and HDMI.

A no-compromises console. Nothing sacrificed in place of something else. Essentially it would be identical to a sixer, with the only giveaways being a few extra ports/connectors on the back - discretely hidden.

Amen!! We should see if the guy who did Metal Jesus' prototype could make something for the VCS faithful. I'd get on that kickstarter. An emulation based device is interesting, but I already have stella.

Thanks gbennett0321 for the report. I did a quick look through the prices on Amazon for the Hyperkin products, and I think the $40 price is right in line with their other systems. If it turns out to be true I'll buy several units for myself as well as several as gifts.

I'm a little concerned they won't make this year. Bill probably knows the schedule better, but it seems the manufacturing would need to start in the next couple months to make the holidays.

Thanks gbennett0321 for the report. I did a quick look through the prices on Amazon for the Hyperkin products, and I think the $40 price is right in line with their other systems. If it turns out to be true I'll buy several units for myself as well as several as gifts.

I'm a little concerned they won't make this year. Bill probably knows the schedule better, but it seems the manufacturing would need to start in the next couple months to make the holidays.

I really only know how long it takes from the AtGames perspective. If Hyperkin is rolling these out from primarily online retailers like their own Website and Amazon, they'll certainly have more leeway. I would think the latest they could go into production even under those conditions would be in the August timeframe if they want to make December.

• Like 1

It was. The Flashback 2.

See my post 30 in this thread why, and what went wrong:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/266544-retron-77/?p=3782273

This is exciting news. I'm trying to future proof my setup & systems.. Even though I still own and still use CRTs, I also use modern HDTVs, just like everyone else here. I hate messing around with old, unreliable hardware anymore, so this seems to fit the bill. Just as long as it supports the Harmony Cart, I'm definitely in! :thumbsup:

• Like 3