IGNORED

RetroN 77

jeremiahjt

But why a cartridge slot and dumping then? A simple SD slot would be cheaper.

While "roms on SD" is common to all hobbyists, they're probably wanting to one-up the experience with physical carts, the noise, the feel, the ability to collect. All those sinful pleasures.

Some things like roms can be a complex topic for newbies. Whereas cartridge-in-the-slot is easier.

Dunno.. That's my take on it.

• Like 1

While "roms on SD" is common to all hobbyists, they're probably wanting to one-up the experience with physical carts, the noise, the feel, the ability to collect. All those sinful pleasures.

Some things like roms can be a complex topic for newbies. Whereas cartridge-in-the-slot is easier.

Dunno.. That's my take on it.

It's also not something Hyperkin gets involved in, traditionally. I'm pretty sure most, if not all of their products, are straight-up cartridge-based. Even the RetroN 5, although it can be hacked to accept SD card-based ROMs, doesn't do it natively (one reason why it's gathering dust versus the Retro Freak). It would be ideal, of course, to have both cartridge and SD card slots, but as we know with AtGames, not always easy to pull off. It's clear that Hyperkin is concerned about the appearance of things at the very least.

Edited by Bill Loguidice

But why a cartridge slot and dumping then? A simple SD slot would be cheaper.

Selling a product with only "a simple SD slot" would be a product that is only useful with pirated ROMs. By selling the console with a physical 2600 cartridge slot the user is limited to playing games that they own - even if the device dumps the cart and runs it from RAM.

It's been stated that the console uses Stella and will be compatible with Harmony carts. Hopefully that means that the version of Stella used will support things like the ARM processor in the Harmony as well as some of the new bus stuffing style techniques that are being developed. I wonder if the firmware in the console will be user upgradable?

• Like 1

I may not have been clear in my previous messages, but I was sort of hinting at the fact that the version of Stella used may be extremely old (ie, Stella 1.1). I don't have all the details yet, but if the company has licensed the closed-source version of Stella, then it means Stella 1.1; so no ARM, CDF, debugger, new TIA core, save states, cheats, event remapping, UI, esoteric bankswitch schemes, etc. IOW, an extremely outdated version of Stella. If they are using the newer versions, then they have to release the code under the GPL, and I haven't yet been contacted by anyone stating that this will happen.

So more information would definitely be appreciated here. I'm not saying that this is for sure what will happen, but it may be based on the info I have so far. So don't start climbing the walls and shouting out yet; I still don't have the whole story.

• Like 2

Anything is possible I guess, but that's not what I'm implying. I'm just stating that licensing can only be for Stella 1.1; from 1.2 onwards it was released under the GPL, and I have had significant input on the project since then. If they're making everything freely available then there is no issue. Again, I haven't heard from them, so I can't say for sure.

The one thing I can say is that if this is released and the source code isn't, it will be very easy to see if Stella 1.1 is being used, or if it's a much new version (there have been humongous improvements to Stella since version 1.1, which was released almost 17 years ago!).

I may not have been clear in my previous messages, but I was sort of hinting at the fact that the version of Stella used may be extremely old (ie, Stella 1.1). I don't have all the details yet, but if the company has licensed the closed-source version of Stella, then it means Stella 1.1; so no ARM, CDF, debugger, new TIA core, save states, cheats, event remapping, UI, esoteric bankswitch schemes, etc. IOW, an extremely outdated version of Stella. If they are using the newer versions, then they have to release the code under the GPL, and I haven't yet been contacted by anyone stating that this will happen.

So more information would definitely be appreciated here. I'm not saying that this is for sure what will happen, but it may be based on the info I have so far. So don't start climbing the walls and shouting out yet; I still don't have the whole story.

If true then this sucks. If this doesn't at least play space rocks, no buy for me.

• Like 1

There is a lot of talk and concerne about the missing switch being only in the menu. But let's not forget that having the switch on the console itself is kind of a pain( getting up or bringing the console with you on the couch).

But there was talk of a new controller developed for it, what if those switches were moved to it?

• Like 1

It's been stated that the console uses Stella and will be compatible with Harmony carts.

I still find this unlikely. I think you need to access the harmony in real time to make it work, and with the same timing of a real 2600. Is it even possible to modify stella to do something like that?

• Like 1

I'm not sure why I would want to buy this. I have a laptop and an hdmi cable. I have a stelladapter. I can download stella and roms anytime I want for free. There is no need to spend $40 (or more) for this imo. Even if I didn't already have a stelladapter it would be cheaper to buy that than to buy this new hardware. I choose not to go the emulation route because I prefer the real thing, but if I did want to emulate I wouldn't need this expensive new gadget.

What I know so far:

It will use a newer or older version of Stella

It will work with Harmony, or it won't.

It will have difficulty switches, unless it doesn't.

The price is $40, or $50, or $80, or something else.

I definitely might buy it, but it's too soon to know the full details.

• Like 9

What I know so far:

It will use a newer or older version of Stella

It will work with Harmony, or it won't.

It will have difficulty switches, unless it doesn't.

The price is $40, or $50, or $80, or something else.

I definitely might buy it, but it's too soon to know the full details.

:) That about sums it up. A lot of confusion at this point.

• Like 3

There was a guy in this thread that was in direct contact with the Hyperkin developers. Perhaps he can speak to them on this issue, or direct them to speak to me, etc. This can probably all be cleared up with a bit of communication.

• Like 6

What an exciting time for Atari fans. I can't wait to buy this, as well as the new Flashbacks with the Activision games. Also -- and I guess I got this mixed up with the subject of this thread -- Atari is working on a new console? Can someone link me to what I assume is already an existing thread on the subject? (Sometimes it is hard for me to navigate the boards.) Thank you.

What an exciting time for Atari fans. I can't wait to buy this, as well as the new Flashbacks with the Activision games. Also -- and I guess I got this mixed up with the subject of this thread -- Atari is working on a new console? Can someone link me to what I assume is already an existing thread on the subject? (Sometimes it is hard for me to navigate the boards.) Thank you.

Are you talking about this? http://atariage.com/forums/topic/266480-new-atari-console-that-ataribox/?st=0

Easy to find by hitting View New Content.

• Like 1

I'd be surprised if it really did support the Harmony cart. I'm not aware of any other emulation-based implementation that works with a flash cart of any type. The only way is usually via direct SD card, not an intermediary. If it did in fact support Harmony, it would be a true breakthrough for this type of device.

• Like 2