IGNORED

RetroN 77

jeremiahjt

First time I saw that used as "Quoted For Truth" I didn' know of it and got pissed as I was under the impression it ment "Quit Fucking Talking" as that is the only use I'd seen for that acronym previously. :lol:

I always thought it meant "Quoted for Truth" so I've been attaching that to the end of quotes I agreed or thought was humorous. I think I may have guessed at the meaning at some point. The bad part is if I had this all wrong, I may have pissed off some people I meant to complement. For the record (why do people spell it ftw unless it meant something else), I have also seen "quoted for truth" spelled out on several occasions.

I'm glad you brought this up as I will make sure to spell it out from now on so people don't interpret he wrong meaning... :dunce:

For further reading...

https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-qft-2483548

Question: What Is 'QFT'?

While participating in an online discussion forum about immigration laws, you see this strange expression "QFT". People post phrases like "QFT...well said" and "QFT +1".

Answer: This peculiar QFT acronym expression stands for "Quoted For Truth".

It has two particular meanings when used in a discussion forum or a heated discussion on a Facebook page or other debate topic.

1) QFT is an expression of agreement and support, where the user stands behind you and one of your statements. This commonly occurs in controversial topics where opinions are very heated, and people will choose sides in an argument.

If someone "quotes you for truth", they are paying you a compliment and siding with you in the discussion.

Example:

(User 1) @Pdawg above: QFT +1! Vaccines are indeed proven to be effective. Any of you who argue against vaccines don't understand science!

Example:

(Shelby) QFT: Trump is a mysoginist, and the audio recording link above proves it.

2) QFT can also be used to preserve an original forum post, so that the original author cannot edit after the fact. A user who copy-pastes the original forum content will sometimes put the letters "QFT" at the top of the copy-paste. It is a type of forensic stamp used to point out someone's flawed argument in a debate. This is common in serious conversation forums where the users engage in heated discussions on controversial topics, and they are very experienced at making online arguments. The QFT stamp snapshots the original argument into a new post so that the original author can no longer change their original text.

The original author is prevented from denying what they originally wrote because the QFT public copy can refute any denial.

From urban dictionary:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=QFT&page=2

QFT

1. Quoted for Truth

Has the same usage as Quoted for Emphasis (QFE)

2. Quit Fucking Talking

Sometimes casues confusion as it has the same abbreviation as something that means the exact opposite.

• Like 1

I always thought it meant "Quoted for Truth" so I've been attaching that to the end of quotes I agreed or thought was humorous. I think I may have guessed at the meaning at some point. The bad part is if I had this all wrong, I may have pissed off some people I meant to complement. For the record (why do people spell it ftw unless it meant something else), I have also seen "quoted for truth" spelled out on several occasions.

I'm glad you brought this up as I will make sure to spell it out from now on so people don't interpret he wrong meaning... :dunce:

That was another one (FTW) that got me shaking my head when I was told it meant "For The Win" as I had always thought of it as "Fuck The World".

• Like 5

Yeah I gotta stop using acronyms. I've guessed at the meaning in the past and come up wrong.

My favorite is when you would use an acronym and then clarify what you mean by that which turns out to be longer than just spelling it out. Like when you say something like,"I live in LA(the state and not the city)." So, you already know that the abbreviation could be misunderstood and you still feel the need to use it anyway. Now that is dedication. It is still much shorter than the way I express myself though. Like when I explain things. First I give the explanation, then I say,"For an example", then I say,"In other words", then I say,"To put that another way", etc. I developed that habit from telling that I have been misunderstood based on a reply, then explain it again, then tell I have been misunderstood again from another reply, etc. So, to try to avoid that frustration I try to give one big explanation to clear up any possible confusion about what I mean. But even after I do that I can tell that I have been misunderstood based on a reply. icon_mrgreen.gif

• Like 1

My favorite is when you would use an acronym and then clarify what you mean by that which turns out to be longer than just spelling it out. Like when you say something like,"I live in LA(the state and not the city)." So, you already know that the abbreviation could be misunderstood and you still feel the need to use it anyway. Now that is dedication. It is still much shorter than the way I express myself though. Like when I explain things. First I give the explanation, then I say,"For an example", then I say,"In other words", then I say,"To put that another way", etc. I developed that habit from telling that I have been misunderstood based on a reply, then explain it again, then tell I have been misunderstood again from another reply, etc. So, to try to avoid that frustration I try to give one big explanation to clear up any possible confusion about what I mean. But even after I do that I can tell that I have been misunderstood based on a reply. icon_mrgreen.gif

While you and I are very different individuals, we both tend to go to excessive lengths to make a point. I'll use the LA bit as an example. So I say "the weather in LA is humid and hot," you might think, "oh, so you're from Cali," "No, I live next to Texas." Of course even here in Louisiana the stand alone abbreviation may be used with an address or in conjunction with a name, for instance NOLA (New Orleans, Louisiana) or LATECH (Louisiana Tech) but even as a standalone may Ambiguous. CA could also mean the state or the country to the north for instance. Back to my point ( <--see, excess verbiage here), when I use LA I may be typing as it relates to stream of counciousness, the keystrokes have already been laid out and it would take additional effort to delete and retype than to just move forward. It's kind of a joke. I use LA because you think Los Angelos, then I follow it with a deep south. And technically LA is ambiguous. It should be L.A. when referring to the city, or La when referring to the postal abbreviation. Regardless, by not deleting previously laid out keystrokes, I am saving the error by typing less keystrokes to ramble on ( <--Ramble on, Led Zepplin reference there) than to hit backspace multiple times and retype everything. Sometimes my brian sends speedh to my hands faster than i con type and I make sally gramatical erros. Point taken. Yet by iterating the fact that I often spend more speech than necessary to make a point, I have subconsciously extended the lenth of this off topic musing being consciously aware of the fact that I type too much. So to end this on a high note, "YIGSUAIGATMITPACUW." I have literally no idea what this means, or if it is or isn't a random association of typed letters, or perhaps a different meaning. But someone quoted it above, I like it, and will attempt to decrypt it's meaning.

• Yes in genius said under articulated I genuinely amuse the master interrogator this presence all can unanimously win.

Humph. Equally gibberish compared to the extra long acronym which probably meant nothing. Perhaps the statement written above has deeper symbolic meaning than I can comprehend. I think I've made my point for now.

EDIT: Google Cache is slow tonight...

post-33189-0-01397300-1498469116_thumb.png

• Like 1

I think where we differ is with the typing as you are thinking and moving forward stream of consciousness thing. I don't think I'm even capable of doing that because I'm not thinking in words. At least not in order one word at a time and in words only. Imagine getting a magazine, throwing it in the air, and then magically all the words and pictures come off the pages and randomly scatter in the air. The pictures also animate with sounds, people talking, smells, the emotions attached to them, etc. My thinking is analogous to something like that except I understand the randomness. So, when I type instead of going forward it is more like I'm going backwards from this complete but randomized thought and then thinking about how to translate that into English. I'll think about how to type one sentence at a time, read over it to see if it is an accurate enough translation of what I'm thinking, and if it isn't then I backspace to do it over again to try to make it more accurate. Then once I am satisfied that I did the best I could with that sentence I move onto the next with the same process, then the next sentence after that, etc. until I get to a point that once I read everything I typed it feels like I translated this complete but randomized thought to the best of my ability.

• Like 1

I think where we differ is with the typing as you are thinking and moving forward stream of consciousness thing. I don't think I'm even capable of doing that because I'm not thinking in words. At least not in order one word at a time and in words only. Imagine getting a magazine, throwing it in the air, and then magically all the words and pictures come off the pages and randomly scatter in the air. The pictures also animate with sounds, people talking, smells, the emotions attached to them, etc. My thinking is analogous to something like that except I understand the randomness. So, when I type instead of going forward it is more like I'm going backwards from this complete but randomized thought and then thinking about how to translate that into English. I'll think about how to type one sentence at a time, read over it to see if it is an accurate enough translation of what I'm thinking, and if it isn't then I backspace to do it over again to try to make it more accurate. Then once I am satisfied that I did the best I could with that sentence I move onto the next with the same process, then the next sentence after that, etc. until I get to a point that once I read everything I typed it feels like I translated this complete but randomized thought to the best of my ability.

Yeah, I was deliberately trying to be more completely random than my usual thought process in the post above yours. Stream of consciousness is hard to pull off because the voices inside my head speak faster than I can type.

I think we've completely derailed this thread enough though.

I got a bot buddy already. Very knowledgeable, but a bit antisocial as he can't process feelings well.

Marvin-TV-3.jpg

He's an older model, but way better than this manic depressive atrocity:

6b96af18e7053f3fe509df7d5dedf1aa.jpg

While I really like the Hitchhikers references (I prefer the original Marvin), BOT= back on topic. Guess I should take my own advice :)

• Like 1

A thing which is also very important and where i hope that Hyperkin really will pay attention is the used material of the Retron-77 case. And this is no joke!

Because for example the Retron-3 is technically a very good clone-console, but the used material has a strong chemical smell which even don`t go away after years. And this is a big disadvantage and the reason why i stopped using my Retron-3 later, because in my whole living-room was a smell like in a chemical-lab when the Retron-3 stood overnight in the room. Seems to be cheap chinese plastic that was used for Retron-3, or something like that.

So please Hyperkin (and user Andrew from Hyperkin), use a good material for the Retron-77 case, which is completely neutral and don`t smell at all. A material which all the famous original consoles have.

• Like 2

I would be afraid of people dumping homebrews with the thing. Attwong ought a be afraid of kids on Youtube using it to dump Haunted Adventure Trilogy and finding the ultimate easter egg by hacking the game which he doesn't want people to do.

This is one of the few advantages to close sourced firmware. Had they gone open with Stella route, the system could be rooted to dump games and send the bits to an SD card or over USB. But then there's the Retrode for SNES and Genesis, and others if you bought the adapters. CopyNES addon PCB for NES (my NES has a USB port for dumping). Also there's the Kazzo. And Retrofreak, only it's usefulness is limited as it encrypts the ROMs making them useless in emulators. So if someone roots the Retron77 to dump games, I would not be overly surprised.

Honestly, I would love a scan line or some other way to play PAL games on it. Worship the Woodgrain has many PAL games on it I can't play because I don't have a TV with adjustable scan lines. The games just get blocked out when I try to play them.

Other than that? An already installed pause feature would be nice. Seems like they already thought of everything else.

One thing I would like to add though, I hope the cartridge slot is nice and big, so there are no issues with Tigervison games or Supercharger.

• Like 1

Playing PAL games shouldn't be a problem. Seems that RetroN 77 is doing everything in the digital domain. The image is more constructed, rendered, synthesized, and scaled, than it is "displayed" old school style.

Software emulation switches back and forth between PAL, NTSC, and SECAM just fine.

Pretty sure ABS plastic is just ABS. Factories can and do grind up unused and recycle. ABS can be ground into a powder, heated and extruded, and pushed back into the injection mold for new product. Maybe Hyperkin is going green?

Maybe. During the process of reuse, they may add other chemicals for antiseptic purposes, or to dye it a different color, or perhaps to change malleability. Prevent cracking. Flex agents.. Or otherwise modify it to suit the application.

This is one of the few advantages to close sourced firmware. Had they gone open with Stella route, the system could be rooted to dump games and send the bits to an SD card or over USB. But then there's the Retrode for SNES and Genesis, and others if you bought the adapters. CopyNES addon PCB for NES (my NES has a USB port for dumping). Also there's the Kazzo. And Retrofreak, only it's usefulness is limited as it encrypts the ROMs making them useless in emulators. So if someone roots the Retron77 to dump games, I would not be overly surprised.

Is dumping a VCS cartridge a big deal nowadays? VCS rom packs have been available for years, everything important and worthwhile is out there, and new roms continue to be made available in message forums the world over.

• Like 3

Pretty sure ABS plastic is just ABS.

I'm not so sure about that. The fact that the SNES turns that awful yellow shade more frequently than other systems and some handhelds are brittle makes me think that the specific compounds used are very important.

• Like 1

Yes it surfaces out to the "more diffuse" atmosphere. That's why sealed computers don't yellow much, a little bit of bromine escapes to the atmosphere, gets trapped in the bag, and the outgassing stops. The color stays.

It's also why retrobrite is temporary and only good for a few years. The outgassing begins again as more finds its way to the surface. If you use a sealer, that's good, stops the outgassing..