IGNORED

RetroN 77

jeremiahjt

So the first Retron 77 hack will be to turn the board around so you can see the cart label. Maybe someone can attach a couple of external mirrors - cause you would need that second mirror to right the mirror image so you can read it again. A miniature version of the double mirror periscope? Or better, put a webcam on it facing the label. :)

Not sure I want to go to all that work to mod it though. I think I will just wait until my wife is passing near the console then ask her to read the label to me.

They could also make the system detect the cartridge and reference an image of a cart label for it. Then when you press a "label" button on the controller the label image could be displayed on the screen.

For some though, it might not be an issue. I myself find that I play the game better when I am not staring at the label.

Edited by SIO2
  • Like 3

Am I the only one who doesnt care at all which way the label faces?

Considering that we're on a site that is full of CRT-hoarding, box-shelving, variation-hunting, Jaguar-obsessing, Flashback-hating original equipment enthusiasts, I'm impressed by your courage.

I see that the 2600 Junior leaflet didn't specify the direction for inserting a cartridge, but just about everything else did. I prefer ROM files to cartridges, and even I have strong feelings about the "right way" to insert a cartridge.

post-2410-0-11450900-1516894370.png

post-2410-0-89942500-1516894378_thumb.png

post-2410-0-14975800-1516894389_thumb.png

post-2410-0-14843600-1516894323.png

post-2410-0-15251600-1516894361.png

• Like 3

What if turning the cartridge 180 degrees is what it requires to get another 2 generations of youngsters playing the Atari 2600?

It will teach them "alternative facts." For example, there was a brief period of time when my child thought that Super Mario World was a ripoff of Lep's World. I DON'T WANT TO LIVE IN THAT WORLD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRJQG2hsz5w

• Like 4

You courageous folks haha...

Might as well put the carts in vertically then...I mean if they can't get it right. Switch your cars' gas and brake pedals too while you're at it...Driving will be more of an adventure!

At any rate, speaking for Myself...I wasn't talking aesthetics, or looking at the console or cart while playing...I was talking about that moment you grab a cart and quickly shove it into your system. You might even be drinking or have friends over. It could be kind of like throwing your car into Reverse, when you meant to grab 5th gear.

OK Sorry for all the car analogies...I'm reminded of when I was 17 in Driver's Ed Class. True story, the day of class where we "learned" to drive a stick shift, we had a substitute teacher. I already knew very well how to drive a manual, so to pass the time, When we were on our "driving simulators" (which had the pedals, clutch, and steering, but ran with a filmstrip, projected on the wall)...I spent the day ramming my "car" into REVERSE at High Speed, making those around me laugh...Then when the printouts of our performance came out, I convinced the sub that the higher, the "score" the better ...It was actually showing Crashes or something...And the sub had the class applaud my "driving skills" and told everyone I scored the Highest!

Edited by GoldLeader
  • Like 1

Just think of all of the carpal tunnel problems that will ensue from picking up a cartridge the way we've been doing it for the last 40 years, and then having to turn it completely around just to put it into the RetroN77! Have they given no thought to the user experience? Have they never actually used a 2600 before? Shameful.

• Like 1

That is by the way a graphically interesting version of Boulder Dash, quite unlike all the other 8-bit ports. Much more Japanified, if that is a word. Whether First Star Software had much say in the final product or if they just got paid a license fee once upon a time is something I've wondered but never tried to investigate. It appears to me that First Star these days have a much stricter quality control than they might've had in the late 80's once the original Boulder Dash craze was starting to ebb out.