IGNORED

RetroN 77

jeremiahjt

x2

Ordered, thank you. I did not receive am email even though I signed up for one. I work an 8-to-5 plant job and have not been following e3 at all this year...

Now the $1000 question of the day: which game should I test first? Draconian or Super Cobra Arcade?!?! :rolling:

x2

Ordered, thank you. I did not receive am email even though I signed up for one. I work an 8-to-5 plant job and have not been following e3 at all this year...

Now the $1000 question of the day: which game should I test first? Draconian or Super Cobra Arcade?!?! :rolling:

Draconian because I own that one.

I preordered mine too. Funny thing though...I got the email on preordering, but none of the links worked, nor did the ones at the Hyperkin web site. Luckily someone on Facebook gave the the right link and I finally got to order it. But later in the day I got another email from Hyperkin and everything worked on it. But despite the hoops I finally ordered it. And looking forward to it...July 7 could not get here fast enough.

After the SHITE that was the Retron 1 HD, I think I will stick to the real thing. Awful picture, Awful sound, Awful frame rate. Dreadful machine.

Taken from Youtube comments,

"Hyperkin: cutting corners in every conceivable way."

After all the comments shitting on the Atari machine, it's a bit funny reading comments from idiots buying this shite.

Does this hook up using the hdmi port on the TV?

Yup.

It's like the Sega Genesis Flashback (2017) in that it has a cartridge reader/dumper that reads out the ROM of a cartridge, then feeds that file to an onboard emulator. There should also be an SD card slot for firmware upgrades, that will probably allow people to run ROMs from there, too.

The main point is clean, digital HDMI images and sound for what was formerly an analog, RF-only system.

The question remains will it work. I say no.

You are a huge proponent of emulators, but you don't think this will work?

Or is it just Hyperkin's implementation you're less sure of?

Regardless of the dodgy code stuff, my Retron 5 works very well... I've heard mixed responses about some of their other offerings.

OMG this is awesome! :)

EDIT: Shame they don't have joysticks that can be ordered separate cause the system only comes with one. I want a pair and I assume lots of other people do to.

They do sell a 2600-styled controller separately (and I believe it's the one bundled); the name escapes me right now, but I think I've seen Flojo talk about it.

Edited by dj_convoy
  • Like 1

They do sell a 2600-styled controller separately (and I believe it's the one bundled); the name escapes me right now, but I think I've seen Flojo talk about it.

I think that was when we realized Circa was a partner/subsidiary of Hyperkin. This only has one button, so I don't think it's the same thing.

https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Joystick-Controller-not-machine-specific/dp/B01M188I0X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1528905257&sr=8-1&keywords=atari+controller

The joystick has 2 buttons.. any chance we can use it as a 2 button controller on the 7800?

I assume both buttons do the same thing so you can play with either hand. Many of the popular joysticks from the 1980s had two buttons for this reason.

• Like 1

I assume both buttons do the same thing so you can play with either hand. Many of the popular joysticks from the 1980s had two buttons for this reason.

Yeah, and that particular layout is the worst possible way to support two buttons with different functions anyway. For some reason, some Apple II-style joysticks did that. I never did understand that one.

You are a huge proponent of emulators, but you don't think this will work?

Or is it just Hyperkin's implementation you're less sure of?

Regardless of the dodgy code stuff, my Retron 5 works very well... I've heard mixed responses about some of their other offerings.

I don't think the console will dump ARM/Harmony games, or the Harmony cartridge itself to its internal memory. I don't see there being proper interaction between Retron77 and a Harmony cart, period. Not if R77 relies on the dumping method.

And while R77 has an SD slot, it will still be limited because it is using an older version of Stella that doesn't support ARM/DPC+ and other newer BankSwitching schemes needed for the latest homebrews. Considering that, though, I see an upgrade. BUT I envision R77 playing all those games like SuperCobra, Mappy, Scramble, StayFrosty2, Draconian, and more, THROUGH THE SD SLOT. ROMS!

I don't recall what version was/is supposed to ship with the console, but I don't think it was 5.x. So we'll have to wait for an upgrade if that's the case.

Stella 5.x currently plays everything I've thrown at it except some highly irregular test roms made for testing purposes.

• Like 1