IGNORED

RetroN 77

jeremiahjt

Hello AtariAge!

I visit here often but have never posted before. I also pre-ordered the Retron 77, but I wasn't pleased to read this disclaimer on their product description page:

under list of included items:

• 6 ft. Micro-USB cable with AC adapter*

Then at very bottom of description:

*If AC adapter is not included, we strongly advise you use a 5 Volt 1 Amp USB wall AC adapter.

I would be most unhappy if the new console I purchased did not include a power supply.

Hello AtariAge!

I visit here often but have never posted before. I also pre-ordered the Retron 77, but I wasn't pleased to read this disclaimer on their product description page:

under list of included items:

• 6 ft. Micro-USB cable with AC adapter*

Then at very bottom of description:

*If AC adapter is not included, we strongly advise you use a 5 Volt 1 Amp USB wall AC adapter.

I would be most unhappy if the new console I purchased did not include a power supply.

That's like a phone charger, not hard to find. For this kind of thing, I actually prefer to plug them into my TV's USB rather than the wall.

• Like 1

I do have some interest in this, to bad it only outputs HDMI 720p as this the only thing I don't like about my AVS. I would prefer to play on a regular CRT, bryan's AV mod will continue to have to do the trick. Just wish I could get a replacement shell for my 7800.

I called Hyperkin and spoke to Lapita (station 131). She said that there is no SD card slot, but the Retron 77 will support the Harmony Cart...kind of conflicting with what I heard previously.
Since I want one or the other, guess I'll wait to hear from the early adopters.

• Like 1

I called Hyperkin and spoke to Lapita (station 131). She said that there is no SD card slot, but the Retron 77 will support the Harmony Cart...kind of conflicting with what I heard previously.

Since I want one or the other, guess I'll wait to hear from the early adopters.

I just got a follow-up call from Lapita at Hyperkin. She said that the Retron 77 would indeed have an SD slot!

I'm still gonna wait to see the reviews.

Edited by StephenJ
  • Like 2

Hi everyone, sorry for being absent for a while - pretty busy with E3.

Just a quick heads-up: it does have an SD card, but it does not support Harmony. If you have any questions, Im here to answer. And thanks for your support! :-)

Thanks for confirming the SD card support. I pre-ordered my Retron 77 this morning. The deciding factor for my purchase was when I heard of the inclusion of the SD card slot. Glad to know it is indeed included.

Edited by SIO2

Just a quick heads-up: it does have an SD card, but it does not support Harmony. If you have any questions, Im here to answer. And thanks for your support! :-)

I never owned a Hyperkin console but am very interested in getting the retron77 however I have heard that past Hyperkin consoles may have stripped or damaged cartridge pins. Is there any truth to this? Any guarantees to the quality of this cartridge slot?

If the sd slot will read roms what would be he best size sd card to get ?

Atari 2600 games are miniscule, but you'll probably need something reasonably current for this to be compatible. 2GB is wicked overkill but probably the best size if you can get it.

You only need like 5MB for the whole 2600 library.

• Like 1

Can you answer to what version of Stella will be on the shipping product on 7/7 and will it be possible to update/upgrade the installed version? It seems like the #1 question is what level of homebrew roms are going to work on the system 'out-of-the-box'. Regardless, I look forward to getting my pre-order soon. Thanks!

Got mine ordered! Im wondering how long it will take someone to hack this to run the latest and greatest version of Stella, allow it to use almost any joystick/paddles/keypads/whatever, and stuff it in an original Atari 2600 4 or 6 switcher! Cuz that would make it just about perfect!

I don't think the console will dump ARM/Harmony games, or the Harmony cartridge itself to its internal memory. I don't see there being proper interaction between Retron77 and a Harmony cart, period. Not if R77 relies on the dumping method.

And while R77 has an SD slot, it will still be limited because it is using an older version of Stella that doesn't support ARM/DPC+ and other newer BankSwitching schemes needed for the latest homebrews. Considering that, though, I see an upgrade. BUT I envision R77 playing all those games like SuperCobra, Mappy, Scramble, StayFrosty2, Draconian, and more, THROUGH THE SD SLOT. ROMS!

I don't recall what version was/is supposed to ship with the console, but I don't think it was 5.x. So we'll have to wait for an upgrade if that's the case.

Stella 5.x currently plays everything I've thrown at it except some highly irregular test roms made for testing purposes.

I'm pretty sure it is using a very recent version of stella or at least a much more recent version than originally assumed to be on it. Andrew from Hyperkin cleared all that up a good month ago. They are abiding by the lisence as required now instead of using the ancient version they lisenced originally. Plus it has already been confirmed to be open source and upgradable so you can put whatever version of stella you like on it IIRC. So it might not support the Harmony out of the box it might be able to with a user installed update. My only concern for out of the box use is that if it doesn't support the harmony it might not support melody either. That could be a problem. But again, nothing that a user installed update can't rectify. Most people who buy modern homebrews or can load a harmony cart are more than capable of loading a program or update onto an SD card for the console just as they do for their cartridges.

• Like 1

I sent you a pm ;)

Does this hook up using the hdmi port on the TV?

Yup.

It's like the Sega Genesis Flashback (2017) in that it has a cartridge reader/dumper that reads out the ROM of a cartridge, then feeds that file to an onboard emulator. There should also be an SD card slot for firmware upgrades, that will probably allow people to run ROMs from there, too.

The main point is clean, digital HDMI images and sound for what was formerly an analog, RF-only system.

Nice, with an SD card slot in and HDMI out this ought to be just the ticket for digital TVs. Hyperkin should make these highly important details clear.

Hi Andrew, will the SD card slot allow us to load roms or will this just be for software upgrades?