IGNORED

RetroN 77

jeremiahjt

I do have some interest in this, to bad it only outputs HDMI 720p as this the only thing I don't like about my AVS. I would prefer to play on a regular CRT, bryan's AV mod will continue to have to do the trick. Just wish I could get a replacement shell for my 7800.

I'm just curious but why do you need more than 720p for 2600 games?

• Like 2

I'm just curious but why do you need more than 720p for 2600 games?

It not that I want more , it would be I would want less like 240 and 480p in real 4:3. The AVS720p only HDMI out reallly only makes it usuable on modern displays, if the 77 can be used at lower res then I would be much more interested.

It not that I want more , it would be I would want less like 240 and 480p in real 4:3. The AVS720p only HDMI out reallly only makes it usuable on modern displays, if the 77 can be used at lower res then I would be much more interested.

Ahh now that makes more sense :)

I'm actually running flashbacks through a CRT using converters and such.

Anyone from Canada able to pre-order successfully? I tried and it keeps saying:

Unfortunately one or more items in your cart can't be shipped to your location. Please choose a different delivery address.

:(

No shipping to Canada, as many of us found out.

Edited by Jstick

Yep I've tried contacting them about shipping options but I never got a reply. I'm assuming they know it's a bad move to alienate a huge portion of the planet but perhaps they aren't as big a company as I thought if they can't offer international shipping. Guess we'll have to wait until it shows up on Amazon or perhaps a local game store. In a way it's good I guess. I'm normally not an early adopter when it comes to video games but I was going to preorder this. Of course it could be shit which is why waiting for the first reviews, like MJR is doing, is probably for the best. I'm sure we'll all get one eventually if it's worth getting.

• Like 1

We are not offering international shipping at the moment simply because the first batch isnt that large.

No worries though - we are making more, and will get the systems to our overseas distributors real soon as well, but we really wanted for the release date to be symbolic - 7/7, and therefore rushed to get at least the US covered first.

We are actually really not as large as many of you might imagine. :-)

And I completely understand that you need honest reviews first, thats exactly why we expressed a few devkits and systems to Stella contributors, and I personally gave one to MJR at E3. I wish we had more review units to send to even more people.

I was demo-ing a retail this is what you get version for 3 days straight at the event. Of course its still too early to celebrate, but I was very proud to hear my guests saying Hey, this controller is freaking awesome, Wow, there is no input or output lag, and I love the responsiveness of everything or Whoa you have a dedicated Fry/Glitch switch!, Hey, $69.99 isnt a lot to ask for this, Ive preordered it and cant wait to get mine, and many more words of support.

It was even more delightful to see young people coming over and expressing a lot of curiousity towards the platform, its iconic (and not so) games, and potential opportunities to learn about homebrew development. I gave a system and my business card to a young kid (some 7-9 years old) who scored 40.000 points at Missile Command. :-)

So, hopefully, it all works out. I spoke to many retailers and shop owners at the show who currently carry other 2600-compatible solutions, and they all agree that this is so much more rad, and if the customers response is good, they will definitely carry this.

With all that said, Im proudly confident in this system. Please, dont expect perfection and keep your expectations somewhere in the middle - I know that some of you will be disappointed with lack of certain controllers or games support out of the box, or with the fact that if you use too much force, you might crash the tactile switch and break the controller (same as you would with the original console), or that the cartridge label is facing the player... But again, its a great console to own, and Im already working on a few cool add-ons and peripherals for it.

Thanks again to you all, and Ill be waiting for your feedbacks. :-)

• Like 17

or that the cartridge label is facing the player... But again, its a great console to own, and Im already working on a few cool add-ons and peripherals for it.

Thanks again to you all, and Ill be waiting for your feedbacks. :-)

I think I have the backwards label thing figured out for those who have an issue with it. They just need to get themselves a sheet of black construction paper, cut out an strip the width of an Atari cart, make a fold the depth of the label, trim it off at where the cart meets the console. Then they will have a black L card they can hang on the cart to cover the label while they play. :)

• Like 1

I think I have the backwards label thing figured out for those who have an issue with it. They just need to get themselves a sheet of black construction paper, cut out an strip the width of an Atari cart, make a fold the depth of the label, trim it off at where the cart meets the console. Then they will have a black L card they can hang on the cart to cover the label while they play. :)

That might work for some, but I'm waiting for the v1.2 with the rotating mirrors and smoke generator.

I know that some of you will be disappointed with lack of certain controllers or games support out of the box, or with the fact that if you use too much force, you might crash the tactile switch and break the controller (same as you would with the original console), or that the cartridge label is facing the player... But again, its a great console to own, and Im already working on a few cool add-ons and peripherals for it.

Regarding controllers, that would be something controlled by Stella or firmware, or is it a hardware limitation?

But again, its a great console to own, and Im already working on a few cool add-ons and peripherals for it.

I can't wait to hear more!! How about a dedicated Star Raiders controller, maybe with a built-in d-pad or something? ;-)

I just wanted to say thank you Andrew, for the RetroN '77 and all the hard work you guys put into making well thought out and designed solutions to keep classic systems alive and accessible to the masses. I know it must have been a pretty difficult sell even greenlighting the RetroN '77 project, since Atari doesn't have quite the mass appeal of Nintendo consoles, but there are still a whole lot of people who will really appreciate and cherish this product.

When it comes to clone consoles there's always going to be things that aren't quite perfect and people will always have complaints here and there, but it sounds like you really did your homework to make the '77 the best it could be within reasonable time and project budget constraints. So, thank you! I'm flat broke at the moment but I'll definitely pick up a '77 when finances allow. It looks fantastic! :)

P.S. I actually really like the front facing cartridge labels, because admiring that lovely (and sometimes misleadingly awesome) cartridge label art is half the fun of collecting Atari 2600 games.

• Like 6

The backward label thing sure bothers some folks. Makes not a whit of difference to me.

Agreed. It has a cartridge slot that accepts games. End of story.

P.S. I actually really like the front facing cartridge labels, because admiring that lovely (and sometimes misleadingly awesome) cartridge label art is half the fun of collecting Atari 2600 games.

Yes, this. Perhaps it was the old 70s tech that was "backwards" [ducks]

• Like 2

so bottom line, am I going to be able to flip switches to control my shields and play other games that rely on the switch positions to do things seemlessly or will game play stop for a selection screen, or will it not be there at all? I would hope the fry switch would indicate full seamless switch function, but then I heard the whole software switch thing...

• Like 1