IGNORED

RetroN 77

jeremiahjt

Nahh. Two is probably plenty. You can do a lot more with two.

What would the world have been like if run and jump games had not been invented? ie A=Jump; B=Shoot. Surely the masterminds behind Atari could not have envisioned such a place could ever exist outside their little one button utopia... :grin:

I think I have the backwards label thing figured out for those who have an issue with it. They just need to get themselves a sheet of black construction paper, cut out an strip the width of an Atari cart, make a fold the depth of the label, trim it off at where the cart meets the console. Then they will have a black L card they can hang on the cart to cover the label while they play. :)

You guys are overthinking it. Just turn the system around. Label faces backwards, controller ports, switches, everything important in the rear. RF um, HDMI cable and USB wall wart in the front, because why not? :rolling:

You guys are overthinking it. Just turn the system around. Label faces backwards, controller ports, switches, everything important in the rear. RF um, HDMI cable and USB wall wart in the front, because why not? :rolling:

I do tend to overthink things but, I don't like my switches in the rear thanks.

• Like 1

Andrew, you said peripherals. Would new driving/paddles be a possibility? Most of the originals need at least a reconditioning at this point and the paddle games represent a good enough portion of the library that many of us would jump on a new paddle controller with maybe a switch for the Indy 500 support.

It would be nice to play those games without jittery inputs.

We are not offering international shipping at the moment simply because the first batch isnt that large.

No worries though - we are making more, and will get the systems to our overseas distributors real soon as well, but we really wanted for the release date to be symbolic - 7/7, and therefore rushed to get at least the US covered first.

Thanks again to you all, and Ill be waiting for your feedbacks. :-)

Only shipping to the US because of a smaller number of units doesn't make any sense. You have to see why that just doesn't pass the smell test.

Only shipping to the US because of a smaller number of units doesn't make any sense. You have to see why that just doesn't pass the smell test.

I know it sucks, but early birds get the worm. Preorders sell out in the US, then you can buy it on eBay/Amazon for twice the price. 2.5x counting the exchange rate.

Yes it sucks that Canadians can't preorder. But I can't help you guys besides maybe order more than one to resell with no markup, and hope I break even after postage? It's coming to distributors, but you have to be patient or pay a premium to get it ahead of time.

I suppose the upside is if the first batch comes out and all those that preordered in the US have problems and issues then those could be fixed before the international shipments are made. That was my one concern with preordering anyway - I don't like being a guinea pig - let the Americans do that for us. :P ;-)

• Like 3

I suppose the upside is if the first batch comes out and all those that preordered in the US have problems and issues then those could be fixed before the international shipments are made. That was my one concern with preordering anyway - I don't like being a guinea pig - let the Americans do that for us. :P ;-)

This makes me wonder... if mine has bug / problems, will they be able to fix those problems, or would I have to buy a second console?

I know it sucks, but early birds get the worm. Preorders sell out in the US, then you can buy it on eBay/Amazon for twice the price. 2.5x counting the exchange rate.

Yes it sucks that Canadians can't preorder. But I can't help you guys besides maybe order more than one to resell with no markup, and hope I break even after postage? It's coming to distributors, but you have to be patient or pay a premium to get it ahead of time.

So much for that 7/7 release date.

Shit.. man.. I'mma release version 2.2 of my astronomy software on 2/2/2022 at 2:22:22am. But only 22 people can download it! Baggghhhh.. That isn't a release date. It's a marketing gimmick. Hype. And many words that say very little.

This makes me wonder... if mine has bug / problems, will they be able to fix those problems, or would I have to buy a second console?

Since it isn't the latest version of Stella. Expect compatibility issues. It's safe to assume the latest homebrews won't work. And other games will have bugs or graphical glitches like Pole Position, or Meltdown.

If that wasn't the situation, these assumptions would've been shot down much earlier in the thread. And as far as I can recall, they have not been debunked. So.. you will have to get updates to the core emulation engine.

A good way to tell what will work and what will not work or work with bugs is to determine the version of the emulator and then look at the changelog for every version thereafter.

• Like 2

All this got me thinking.. if emulator authors are upset that manufacturers are profiting off their work, GPL whatever licensing aside.. Then all they have to do is increase the system requirements to something these shitbox AllWinner and Celeron/Atom chips can't handle. Make some loops and mix it into the main program. Or make use of advanced instruction sets only available on real PCs.

Think of it as a form of hardware protection or dongle. Stella 5.0 has higher system requirements because of more accurate TIA graphics emulation. And the requirements will increase yet again when 5.2 comes out with cycle-exact sound.

Think like the big boys do! Microsoft and Apple periodically update OS'es and eventually new hardware needs to be purchased. They have the resources to enforce hardware replacement and keep everyone going. The makers of these emulation boxes may not. Besides, the market is small enough that only die-hard collectors would buy any newer faster 2.0 versions of them. So the demand slows for a mediocre product based on old software.

If speed can't be a controlling factor then perhaps the emulator could make use of certain instructions not available on these cheap SoCs. Maybe require the use of certain libraries or whatever. Make it dependent on something a PC has but shitbox SoCs do not.

Maybe it's all moot, and just consider it a thought exercise.

Just a little thought of my own: if you find yourself having posted three separate negative posts in a row in a single thread, all within a span of 30 minutes, you just *MAY* be investing a bit too much mental and emotional energy on the wrong aspects of your life. :)

If you hate a product or dislike the idea of its very existence, fine. Say so. Then let it go - you've had your say. No need to have that say again. And again. Life's too short to focus on the negative. Find something else to think about positively instead.

Just my tuppence.

Now, as to this new widget, I'm curious about it though I have zero need for it in my gaming. A good friend has one pre-ordered and will give me a good run-down. Depending on what he says, I may or may not get one later this year just because.

• Like 5

Personally I don't care if it plays Every last game I throw at it. I mean it would be nice, and it would be ideal and yes we could beg them for a system that does just that. But back to reality, I'm pretty happy this thing will exist and do what it does. My plan is to buy one, though I have some other things to worry about first. I'm a million more times excited for this than I am for that stupid nutariboxRetrovcs.

Am I bothered by that cart slot? Yes!!! YES!! It should have something so easy to fix and get it right... but I still want one! (So I guess it's not a deal breaker)...

• Like 3

Knowing Hyperkin's reputation, I'm not touching the first batch with a ten foot pole.

I can give my own thoughts on this one. I have a Hyperkin portable NES. It's Awesome! I have a Hyperkin portable Famicom. It's Awesome except the speaker distorts a little, but I bought it used and it's always been that way. Points off I suppose on that one. I have a Hyperkin system called an SG/FC Dual Action that plays Sega Genesis and NES, and it's Awesome and (With the switch in the J (Japan) position) even plays my Mega Drive Pulseman import cart which won't play on a U.S. Genesis with cart adapter. I have a RetroN 5 and have never had an ounce of trouble with it! And I recently bought a couple of brand new Hyperkin SEGA style 6 button controllers for Genesis and about the only thing they are missing is the SEGA logo. They rock!

I definitely have had better luck with Hyperkin than with Retro-Bit or ATGames! (Not exactly glowing praise I know haha)...

Edited by GoldLeader
  • Like 1

Hi everyone, thanks for your support again, another small update.

We are preparing the next batch of systems, and we'd love to take another chance and include your games with it. A lot of people who came to see me on E3, were quite happy to learn about the games that ship with the R77. So I think it's a great opportunity to get more people to know your dev studio or games.

Learning from our previous mistakes, we want to go with a very basic license / permission-to-use agreement that literally says the following:

"I, _______________ the author hereby give Hyperkin Inc. the right to use my game(s) called ___________________________________________ on their Retron 77 console in exchange for 0$. Hyperkin may use it as they wish for this console, and this right may not be retracted in any way. However, this does not prevent the author of publishing, selling and distributing the game in any way.

Signature Author

Signature Hyperkin"

If that's good with you, and you would like your game to ship with the system, please download the attached file, sign it and email it to me (andrew@hyperkin.com). If you prefer something to be phrased differently - please post your suggestions or contact me directly. Please state in your email how would you prefer to be referred to in the license file (by your dev studio name, real name etc).

As for accessories and peripherals that we are working on, I'm not at liberty to say a lot, but some of the suggestions posted in this thread (and said by my E3 guests) have been given a lot of thought, and we hope not to disappoint you. :)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1w04w8MqYe1-7J1oQtRvtjyoRMw6PPhxC

Edited by AndrewHyperkin
  • Like 13