IGNORED

RetroN 77

jeremiahjt

As for accessories and peripherals that we are working on, I'm not at liberty to say a lot, but some of the suggestions posted in this thread (and said by my E3 guests) have been given a lot of thought, and we hope not to disappoint you. :)

I am still hoping for a Star Raiders controller. ;-)

post-6228-0-67012600-1529441312.png

• Like 2

I wonder if we will start seeing more 2600 gameplay videos on YouTube and the like. I have never tried to record any gameplay footage off the VCS, but I have to imagine this will make things easier.

P.S. That Star Raiders controller is awesome.

Edited by jeremiahjt
  • Like 1

Hi everyone,

A few words on our WIP projects for the system.
1. The joystick.
We tried to replicate the same mechanics for the one that comes with the system, so I know it's about as fragile as the original thing. Our E3 sample survived some real abuse throughout 3 days of the show, so I'd say it's about the same, give or take. But there are still concerns (MJR messaged me that he broke his), so we decided to make a super strong version - maybe not as similar in terms of operational fidelity to the original one, but really strong (and heavy). So in case if people really end up breaking their joysticks, we plan to offer a free replacement - the coming stronger version. We plan to call it "The Mammoth" as we expect it to be able to take some good beating. ;-)
2. The paddle.
We know it's really hard to find a paddle in good working condition nowadays, and playing games like Breakout or Pong is not the same without one, so we're making a combo controller that will have both functions (joystick + paddle), with a really strong metal potentiometer that won't break. As advised by my E3 visitors, we decided to step away from the initial super-slim design with the PSP analog stick, and to feature a real strong joystick for the sake of reliability.
A few more things are in development, but these two are the priority that we hope to make real soon. :)
  • Like 13

Hi everyone,

1. The joystick.
We tried to replicate the same mechanics for the one that comes with the system, so I know it's about as fragile as the original thing. Our E3 sample survived some real abuse throughout 3 days of the show, so I'd say it's about the same, give or take. But there are still concerns (MJR messaged me that he broke his), so we decided to make a super strong version - maybe not as similar in terms of operational fidelity to the original one, but really strong (and heavy). So in case if people really end up breaking their joysticks, we plan to offer a free replacement - the coming stronger version. We plan to call it "The Mammoth" as we expect it to be able to take some good beating. ;-)
2. The paddle.
We know it's really hard to find a paddle in good working condition nowadays, and playing games like Breakout or Pong is not the same without one, so we're making a combo controller that will have both functions (joystick + paddle), with a really strong metal potentiometer that won't break. As advised by my E3 visitors, we decided to step away from the initial super-slim design with the PSP analog stick, and to feature a real strong joystick for the sake of reliability.
A few more things are in development, but these two are the priority that we hope to make real soon. :)

it's been said before, im sure, but THANK YOU for communicating as much as you have.

• Like 3

Keatah,

I firmly believe that telling the truth is the only way of doing anything worthy. There are no artificial delays nor restrictions to what people say or do about the systems. It benefits everyone to know and all the details.

No no.. I was referring to another user making videos whom is charging money to see them early. Not Hyperkin and gang.

Edited by Keatah

Hi everyone,

1. The joystick.
2. The paddle.

Sounds awesome. Glad you are taking the time to build a quality product. :)

Hi everyone,

1. The joystick.

2. The paddle.

I really look forward to that new paddles, sounds like the combo controller Sears Video Arcade II. Also would like any improvement to the classic joystick.

• Like 1

Stoked to hear about the paddle! 2 questions:

1. Will the paddle work on Indy 500? That game had its own driving controller but was still basically a paddle.

2. If this does well can we hope for an upgraded version in in the future that will have 7800 compatibility? Even a cart adapter to plug 7800 games in to the existing R77 would be a happy upsale for me.

Thanks for answering our questions and checking in!

• Like 1

Stoked to hear about the paddle! 2 questions:

1. Will the paddle work on Indy 500? That game had its own driving controller but was still basically a paddle.

2. If this does well can we hope for an upgraded version in in the future that will have 7800 compatibility? Even a cart adapter to plug 7800 games in to the existing R77 would be a happy upsale for me.

Thanks for answering our questions and checking in!

Indy 500 uses a driving controller not a paddle controller. Would be cool if they find a way to make it double as both but I highly doubt it.

"The difference between this and the Atacobox, is that Retron has a good PR department" - lol, not really.
I'm an engineer / PM behind most of our latest products (since late 2016). I'm not getting paid for talking to you guys, it's actually not even remotely part of my job. But I care about all our products, and this product in particular, that's why I'm here.

gorfcadet, the paddles will work in all games that use a potentiometer input on the corresponding pins; I remember playing Indy 500 on our prototype during last year's E3. The experience was somewhat limited because you can't spin it all 'round but yes - it's playable (it depends on Stella settings but generally there's a microcontroller that converts joystick / paddle input). As for your second question, I don't see why not. If the system proves to be popular, we'll definitely work on many exciting accessories. We are already working on some. ;)
Edited by AndrewHyperkin
  • Like 9

Indy 500 uses a driving controller not a paddle controller. Would be cool if they find a way to make it double as both but I highly doubt it.

The driving controllers are paddles with a stopper. A switch would likely be all it takes with some internal programming. Fingers crossed; I love Indy 500! Even if the R77 had some code that told it to run Indy 500 with a paddle; that would work too.