IGNORED

RetroN 77

jeremiahjt

No, the Harmony doesnt work. It used to in our last years E3 prototype, but including the solution required to support it would have doubled the cost on our end, and consequentally price on customers end.

Understandable. I’m disappointed though since I have no individual carts anymore. I’m not a collector...more of a game player. I use the harmony exclusively. I do love the product though, and wish you all the luck with it. I’ll hold out hope for version 2!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Lord Helmet
  • Like 1

The TIA can handle high frame rates, 60 FPS of pixelated full screen video is possible. Here's a related idea - a cart could be made with a composite or HDMI video input so you could connect any classic or modern console and see a perfectly pixelated Atari version!

A fantastic idea. Unfortunately not original I had it first, in the years before 1980. Not the HDMI part, naturally, but as a way to connect my other consoles through the VCS. Yes it'd be cool.

I always wonder why cartridges never did miuch to increase IO capability, lights, buttons, other controls, extra ports, things like that. It's right on the bus.. Guess there isn't enough creativity out there. Everyone has to work within the box..

Edited by Keatah

I always wonder why cartridges never did miuch to increase IO capability, lights, buttons, other controls, extra ports, things like that. It's right on the bus.. Guess there isn't enough creativity out there. Everyone has to work within the box..

Well, there's this, complete with a built in strobe light effect...

• Like 1

This sounds in so many ways like just what I would want (only addition would be a Paddle controller, as I've not had much luck finding working ones in the wild). After watching @MetalJesusRocks ' YT review, it just looks so well thought out that I really applaud the effort and what they've got going. I definitely wish there was space for say, 50 or more roms instead of 18, but realistically I can manage having several MicroSD cards at the ready for that. Very glad it's able to play PFII, Space Rocks, etc via Rom. Also think it's really awesome that there's a new version of Muncher out for it, really enjoy my copy of Muncher. Simple, good fun.

Love the thoughfulness to have the Color / BW switch, the difficulty, the Fry button. Nicely done! Waiting for 7/7 eagerly now :)

• Like 3

Without going into too many details (unfortunately, can't trump the August announcements), yes, this year's HD Flashback will license a popular emulator that will be able to run most things, including Pitfall II, and there will be no restrictions on adding your own software.

I'd say both products will be very similar. Basically, theirs will support cartridge dumping and ours will come with wireless controllers and be more open by default on the software side (and of course have a ton of games built-in). We'll of course support wired controllers, but on the paddle side it looks like it will only support new proprietary paddles (to eliminate any lag/accuracy issues inherent in the type of hardware base everyone uses). So definitely pluses/minuses for both products. And yes, if they stick to their schedule, they'll be out a few months earlier.

• Like 11

...but on the paddle side it looks like it will only support new proprietary paddles (to eliminate any lag/accuracy issues inherent in the type of hardware base everyone uses).

So it sounds like AtGames is coming out with a new line of paddles, making the previous AtGames paddles obsolete (FB8 and older)? If this is true, and AtGames comes out with a new system that includes these new paddles (so you don't have to wait for ages for them to become in stock), then I'm all for that! Looks like I will play the waiting game to see which will work better between the two. With the Retron 77, I never thought about having multiple SD cards (like cartridges) with 18 games each on them. I would be preferred to have this unlimited. Whatever the software AtGames is going to use for their new Flashbacks, I hope the homebrew Roms like Space Rocks and Scramble will work. And so we wait...

• Like 1

Since the R77 is open source and uses a version of Stella, I wouldn't be too worried about the 18 rom limit on the SD card. I think the community will embrace this system a lot more than it already has. I think the 18 rom limit will be removed and there will eventually be some nice community updates. Time will tell, but either way, it was easily worth pre ordering for only $79 just because of that potential. The real reason I pre-ordered a R77 is because my NT Mini doesn't accept paddle controllers. The R77 seems to be an economical way to play A2600 paddle games in HD. A fantastic value no matter what.

Edited by Sneakyturtleegg
  • Like 1

Without going into too many details (unfortunately, can't trump the August announcements), yes, this year's HD Flashback will license a popular emulator that will be able to run most things, including Pitfall II, and there will be no restrictions on adding your own software.

I like the sound of that!

• Like 1

Since the R77 is open source and uses a version of Stella, I wouldn't be too worried about the 18 rom limit on the SD card. I think the community will embrace this system a lot more than it already has. I think the 18 rom limit will be removed and there will eventually be some nice community updates. Time will tell, but either way, it was easily worth pre ordering for only $79 just because of that potential. The real reason I pre-ordered a R77 is because my NT Mini doesn't accept paddle controllers. The R77 seems to be an economical way to play A2600 paddle games in HD. A fantastic value no matter what.

Aren't FPGA implementations/cores supposed to be perfect replicas of the original hardware? And the end-all, be all, superior choice over software emulation? :evil:

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 1

Aren't FPGA implementations/cores supposed to be perfect replicas of the original hardware? And the end-all, be all, superior choice over software emulation? :evil:

Haha! Both have their place and provide solutions. I am not in one camp or the other. The R77 is so inexpensive, it's easily worth a try. 95% of the time, I retro game on late model CRTs via component. But I also like to have the ability to game on modern displays too. For that I have a NT Mini (Does both Analogue and HDMI) and a SNT. If these newer emulation clone systems show to be worth their salt, everyone wins. I'll use them to fill in the gaps for how I want to retro game.

I have some good news. With more and more developers reaching out to us with their homebrew titles, the number of games that we hope to include in the next batch of our systems is getting close to where the strict limitation doesnt make a lot of sense anymore, and well release an SD card image that takes care or that. We are actively listening to your opinions and wish to make it a better product.

For the 1st batch of systems, youll simply need to update the files on your SD card to take advantage of that feature.

• Like 25

I have some good news. With more and more developers reaching out to us with their homebrew titles, the number of games that we hope to include in the next batch of our systems is getting close to where the strict limitation doesnt make a lot of sense anymore, and well release an SD card image that takes care or that. We are actively listening to your opinions and wish to make it a better product.

For the 1st batch of systems, youll simply need to update the files on your SD card to take advantage of that feature.

Great news!

Ohh baby! Someone please test a Starplex controller with the Space Rocks ROM. :-D

• Like 1

I'd say both products will be very similar. Basically, theirs will support cartridge dumping and ours will come with wireless controllers and be more open by default on the software side (and of course have a ton of games built-in). We'll of course support wired controllers, but on the paddle side it looks like it will only support new proprietary paddles (to eliminate any lag/accuracy issues inherent in the type of hardware base everyone uses). So definitely pluses/minuses for both products. And yes, if they stick to their schedule, they'll be out a few months earlier.

If you did that with the portable, I would be a happy camper. I'm still gonna use the Retron77 for the tv though... :grin: :thumbsup:
  • Like 1

Some games are not self-explaining easily. How do you solve that problem?

I would suggest a hub page which individually links to the game information.

So will there still be a limit on the number of Rom files? If so, what will the new number be?

• Like 1

While making the limit change please consider changing the default display to 4:3. It sounds like the current version resets to 16:9 and can’t keep whatever was selected. I can only speak for myself, but I always prefer the original aspect ratio.

+1, anyone willing to travel this far into the past surely must realize that the games were meant to be played in 4:3, and that 16:9 is more of a novelty.

• Like 4

+1, anyone willing to travel this far into the past surely must realize that the games were meant to be played in 4:3, and that 16:9 is more of a novelty.

I agree with you, however, this attitude is so common I can't even feign surprise anymore. Any time 4:3 comes up in the modern world, electronics makers adopt a policy of "Fill the screen at first, and the people who know the difference will figure out how to set it up correctly."

I would like a 4:3 default, however, if it's a difference of simply pushing an extra button when I turn the system on, it's not my biggest problem in the world. I can go back to getting frustrated over devices that don't have a 4:3 setting at all.

• Like 1

Has anyone modified Atari 2600 games to run in widescreen (and look good when doing it)? That would be a neat trick.

It would all depend on the type of game. Most Atari games only show the characters from one perspective, so no need to worry about rotation. You just have to make sure the horizontal movement is slightly faster than the vertical, which many games already do.

Consider it one of the fringe benefits of a system already looking like ass.

• Like 1