IGNORED

RetroN 77

jeremiahjt

+1, anyone willing to travel this far into the past surely must realize that the games were meant to be played in 4:3, and that 16:9 is more of a novelty.

I think I would also like to have the 4:3 mode on boot but, maybe not everyone would. I think Hyperkin has finalized their hardware and wants to only do software changes but, I was thinking a latching switch would have been one way to deal with the issue. Perhaps there could be a software option that once set would be remembered like a config file on the SD card?

It would all depend on the type of game. Most Atari games only show the characters from one perspective, so no need to worry about rotation. You just have to make sure the horizontal movement is slightly faster than the vertical, which many games already do.

Consider it one of the fringe benefits of a system already looking like ass.

Yes ... and if graphics were redrawn to be tall and skinny, they could look normal when stretched to 16:9.

But I'm wondering if anyone has actually done it?

I guess Kaboom buckets on hard difficulty kinda count. :-)

Forgive me if this has been addressed already, but is there an estimate on when this will be more generally available at the usual online retro game stores like Castlemaniagames and Stoneagegamer and so forth? Been trying to get my July gaming budget in order.

My vote would be for the aspect ratio to remember what you last used.

Hopefully the SD card or alternate storage could store that when the user pushes the button. I was contemplating running from an HDMI to S-Video converter to run this to my CRT. In that case I would prefer it without black bars so that it matches my TV aspect ratio. This is definitely a user preference that should be stored.

• Like 3

Has anyone modified Atari 2600 games to run in widescreen (and look good when doing it)? That would be a neat trick.

Sure. The pixels are wide enough already so why not stretch them more? :dunce:

Better yet play them on one of those newfangled 64:27 monitors (21:9 does not compute) so that the pixels become over 3 times as wide as they are tall...

This thread has really been informative and helpful. I'm glad that I waited for the experts to voice their opinions. Now here's the million dollar question IMO. What about input lag? Has anyone done any conclusive tests on this subject? To me that's the biggest make or break element of this whole system.

• Like 2

Sure. The pixels are wide enough already so why not stretch them more? icon_dunce.gif

Better yet play them on one of those newfangled 64:27 monitors (21:9 does not compute) so that the pixels become over 3 times as wide as they are tall...

Oh, so like on the Atari home 'puter, then. 4:1 pixels is where it is at, babyicon_razz.gif

Not sure if I'll pick up a Retron 77 , but I'll definitely grab a coupla sticks. icon_smile.gif

This thread has really been informative and helpful. I'm glad that I waited for the experts to voice their opinions. Now here's the million dollar question IMO. What about input lag? Has anyone done any conclusive tests on this subject? To me that's the biggest make or break element of this whole system.

No one has the device in their hands yet aside from a handful of reviewers (and developers apparently), and of those only Metal Jesus has publicly commented that he noticed a small amount of input lag. We'll most likely have to wait for general availability before any substantive testing is done.

No one has the device in their hands yet aside from a handful of reviewers (and developers apparently), and of those only Metal Jesus has publicly commented that he noticed a small amount of input lag. We'll most likely have to wait for general availability before any substantive testing is done.

I did not notice a lot of input lag when I tested games, but did not have anything specific to test it against for more results. I did not have more time to test as now I am out of town until next week.

I did not notice a lot of input lag when I tested games, but did not have anything specific to test it against for more results. I did not have more time to test as now I am out of town until next week.

Thanks John, ultimately it comes down to how it feels; lag tends to bother me personally but only inasmuch as I can feel it in the real world, if gameplay “feels” right to me then I leave it at that. Otherwise, it’s worth testing different solutions to see how they compare to original hardware.

I don't notice lag with Stella on my PC. Would this Retron 77 be the same as what I already know from using Stella on my PC or will this be different as far as input lag goes?

I guess it depends on how well Retron 77 runs Stella. I assume Retron 77 is not as powerful as your PC but that might not be true either depending on what PC you have.

I am so looking forward to getting my Retron 77 and learning more about it.

Wasnt there going to be more homebrews included in the second batch? Anyone have an idea as to what are the mew ones?

I would like to know more about this also. We know the system has an SD slot but how are the games that are included offered? Is there internal storage? Surely they aren't including an SD card - or are they? If there is internal storage, can users change the contents - like put their own game on or remove one that was included? Also, what is the deadline for submitting a game for consideration?

I guess it depends on how well Retron 77 runs Stella. I assume Retron 77 is not as powerful as your PC but that might not be true either depending on what PC you have.

I am so looking forward to getting my Retron 77 and learning more about it.

intel xeon 3ghz with 8gb ram on a gforce 8500 GT video card.

• Like 1

I would like to know more about this also. We know the system has an SD slot but how are the games that are included offered? Is there internal storage? Surely they aren't including an SD card - or are they? If there is internal storage, can users change the contents - like put their own game on or remove one that was included? Also, what is the deadline for submitting a game for consideration?

It's stated the OS is on the SD Card, so that would lead me to believe the SD card is included and from what I've read/understood, the roms are loaded on SD card as well.

• Like 1

I just got a ship notification from Hyperkin! :grin:

Let us know how the final build is.

I am holding off due to the fact of spending waaaaayyyy to much in June, and also for the inevitable revision they will need to make (cart slot too tight after all, flimsy joystick ports.... whatever).