IGNORED

RetroN 77

jeremiahjt

Today I had a strange issue with my Retron 77 happen. The fire button on all compatible controllers stopped working in games. I was able to fix the issue. I just reformatted the sd card and downloaded the R77 image file back onto the SD card.

• Like 1

Today I had a strange issue with my Retron 77 happen. The fire button on all compatible controllers stopped working in games. I was able to fix the issue. I just reformatted the sd card and downloaded the R77 image file back onto the SD card.

I figured it was a glitch with the software. Good to know it's an easy fix. I was really looking forward to playing some games on yours, and then the damn fire button stopped working lol

I'm waiting to see what the consensus is when people here start getting them.

I have no actual need for a RetroN 77, but at its price point, and if it's truly updatable to a more current version of Stella, then I'd probably pick one up.

I'd really like someone to tear one of these open, too. I mean... carefully disassemble one. ;) I've been wanting to build a rack-mounted 2600 with HDMI out, and this might fit the bill.

• Like 2

I'd really like someone to tear one of these open, too. I mean... carefully disassemble one. ;) I've been wanting to build a rack-mounted 2600 with HDMI out, and this might fit the bill.

I have, and I have also dug through the firmware source dump published by Hyperkin on the web. I still have to write up everything I found in the next days, but I'll post here once I am done :)

Edited by DirtyHairy
  • Like 14

Are these units shipping with the same joystick that broke for Metal Jesus or a new & improved joystick?

The pre-ordered batch has the same joystick that broke, but Hyperkin has offered a free replacement of the new and improved joystick to anyone what has a broken one.

• Like 2

?

Atari joysticks are notorious for breaking under heavy use. Even back in the day, magazines were full of ads for buying new joystick shafts.

It's ridiculous that these new controllers are so shoddy*, but it's equally ridiculous to pretend that this hasn't been a problem since time immemorial.

*at least they're working on it

• Like 3

?

Atari joysticks are notorious for breaking under heavy use. Even back in the day, magazines were full of ads for buying new joystick shafts.

It's ridiculous that these new controllers are so shoddy*, but it's equally ridiculous to pretend that this hasn't been a problem since time immemorial.

*at least they're working on it

I do believe that MetalJesusRocks had a used controller when he received it. I did not receive a controller and I know that they are making a better one. Since the unit is compatible with many 2600/7800 sticks, at least that will hold most people over until the replacement is sent out. I will test the controller when I get it.

• Like 1

Why'd they build so cheaply in the first place? The original equipment from the 1970's worked forever.

AndrewHyperkin said "We tried to replicate the same mechanics for the one that comes with the system, so I know it's about as fragile as the original thing"
Read his entire post here: