IGNORED

RetroN 77

jeremiahjt

I never broke an Atari joystick, and most of my stuff came from yard sale scrounging. I have skinny wimp arms, and that's why I play a lot of video games (or is it the other way around)? but I never thought of them as particularly fragile.

But hey, Hyperkin is going to fix their mistake, so that's cool.

• Like 2

Today I had a strange issue with my Retron 77 happen. The fire button on all compatible controllers stopped working in games. I was able to fix the issue. I just reformatted the sd card and downloaded the R77 image file back onto the SD card.

I was wondering where did you get the R77 Image from?

Edited by Zaltran

I do believe that MetalJesusRocks had a used controller when he received it. I did not receive a controller and I know that they are making a better one. Since the unit is compatible with many 2600/7800 sticks, at least that will hold most people over until the replacement is sent out. I will test the controller when I get it.

John, are there any third party joysticks that do not work? I’m planning on getting a competition pro or Wico controller.

can you confirm those work on the retro 77. Also, did Hyperkin give you an idea of if genesis controllers will work in the future?

Thanks!

John, are there any third party joysticks that do not work? I’m planning on getting a competition pro or Wico controller.

can you confirm those work on the retro 77. Also, did Hyperkin give you an idea of if genesis controllers will work in the future?

Thanks!

No info from Hyperkin yet. The Wico controller worked for me.

Got mine this morning!

Having a little issue with my paddles. They jitter like crazy but they don't jitter on original hardware but other than that it seems to work great. I'm fascinated by the included 128mb mini sd card. I never knew they made them that small :)

post-53348-0-07810600-1531018987_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Got mine this morning!

Having a little issue with my paddles. They jitter like crazy but they don't jitter on original hardware but other than that it seems to work great. I'm fascinated by the included 128mb mini sd card. I never knew they made them that small :)

Please tell me that's a micro sd not mini sd. I've never even seen an adapter for mini sd cards so that would be an issue if true.

And yes, they make 128mb cards, not sure why anybody would want one when you can buy 2 packs of 4gb cards for $6. For legacy devices, get a 2gb card.

https://www.oempcworld.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=023396&Store_Code=oem

Please tell me that's a micro sd not mini sd. I've never even seen an adapter for mini sd cards so that would be an issue if true.

And yes, they make 128mb cards, not sure why anybody would want one when you can buy 2 packs of 4gb cards for $6. For legacy devices, get a 2gb card.

https://www.oempcworld.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=023396&Store_Code=oem

Dingoo used a MiniSD. That's the only place I've ever seen them in use. I'm sure it's a Micro if it's not a fullsize SD card.

I hadn't seen that flash drive shop before. I'm going to use that someday, thanks for the tip.

Atari games are measured in kilobytes, so it's fun to see MB-sized cards out there.

Sorry I meant micro ... thanks for the link. I'm always looking for cards under 1gb!

• Like 1

And yes, they make 128mb cards, not sure why anybody would want one when you can buy 2 packs of 4gb cards for $6. For legacy devices, get a 2gb card.https://www.oempcworld.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=023396&Store_Code=oem

Perhaps Hyperkin got a deal on 128MB microSD cards? I could imagine these are excess leftovers from the heady dotcom days. Or they're new present-day products that were destined for large capacities but failed, and only a tiny bit of the memory array works, or just the cache works - so what to do? Sell them as entry level parts! Microprocessor binning is no different, your i3 and i5 chips are just failed i7 chips. Edited by Keatah

I must be in the minority then.. because my VCS sticks seemed rather durable and long-lived. At least bitd.

I think that it's a combination of many things.
1) It depends on people behaviour with game peripherals, on how much force they apply to the joystick during play. Some people are real brutes. They handle the CX40 like it was an arcade joystick. Other people are aware that this is not a matter of strengh, play with the CX40 with more "care", and restrain to apply to much force, which mades the joystick last longer.
2) It depends on what game type is played too. Games like Decathlon are Joystick killers.
3) Not all CX40 joysticks have the same build quality.
So, if you're a brute, who plays only Decathlon with a poor build quality CX40, the joystick won't last 10 minutes ;)
If you're a "cautious" guy, who doesn't play Decathlon and use a good quality CX40, it will last for a lifetime (with may be some spare parts replacements for optimal and pleasant use)
Edited by Electric-Dreams

All I know is...back in the day when Atari was new, I went through joysticks like crazy. THe originals were not fragile, but they were used a lot and hard. FOr some reason we think that the harder you slam on the stick, the faster you'll go. It's like everytime I had an Atari party, I always had to replace at least one joy stick. And it was the same problem...the white insert would break in the outer ring not putting enough pressure on the "buttons" to make it move. I don't know what kind of pressure I am likely to apply these days, but I would almost expect any joystick to break with aggressive play.

Armchair advice: just stay away from Activision Decathlon and Track & Field and your joysticks should be fine.

Starplex style or all button controllers work better for those games anyway. There is a dedicated track and field controller as well, though with only 3 buttons, it is useless for "steer and thrust" shooters. :P

post-21941-0-82112000-1498510121.jpg

• Like 2

Starplex style or all button controllers work better for those games anyway. There is a dedicated track and field controller as well, though with only 3 buttons, it is useless for "steer and thrust" shooters. icon_razz.gif

I have to repeat: There exist joysticks which do NOT break.

• Like 2

I have to repeat: There exist joysticks which do NOT break.

This 7800 controller weighs 5 pounds, Happ Competition (balltop mod) and is made of 3/4" mdf. I joked that she was "bulletproof" after I constructed her. Probably not, but feel free to slap her around. She'll take whatever abuse you dish out...

16441775328_662fcdf380_h.jpg

Durability

Erognomics

Value

pick 1

I though we get to pick two option? :???:
  • Like 1

I though we get to pick two option? icon_confused.gif??:

Doesn't seem that way for classic stuff. So much of it seems incompatible with human anatomy. The fancy jet-fighter stuff is really expensive.

I love seeing pictures of your "Red Green" type joysticks, but man I'm glad I don't have any of it in my house. icon_wink.gif <--- meant in a gentle way, not as mean as it sounds, OK?

• Like 1

Today I had a strange issue with my Retron 77 happen. The fire button on all compatible controllers stopped working in games. I was able to fix the issue. I just reformatted the sd card and downloaded the R77 image file back onto the SD card.

Any way to show a step by step on how this is done? I will have my unit on Wed. I downloaded that image on my computer, so I will have it.

I know how to erase the SD card. Does that image file just unzip into all the various folders that would be needed - and then you move all that onto the card? Or, are there other steps?

I'd like to know, in case I get that issue too....

I checked the shipping info, it reads on time, "Tuesday 7/10/2018 by end of day."

It has a depature scan from Baldwin park, CA on July 3rd. Last I checked, July 5th and 6th were not holidays, so why hasn't the status been updated? Must have been a looong weekend at UPS. :ponder:

I can't wait to throw every homebrew I own at it and report back on how many games failed to load. :evil:

• Like 2

I checked the shipping info, it reads on time, "Tuesday 7/10/2018 by end of day."

It has a depature scan from Baldwin park, CA on July 3rd. Last I checked, July 5th and 6th were not holidays, so why hasn't the status been updated? Must have been a looong weekend at UPS. :ponder:

I can't wait to throw every homebrew I own at it and report back on how many games failed to load. :evil:

Maybe many will fail? Stella 3.75 is on it, correct (it was in a link in some post back...).