IGNORED

RetroN 77

jeremiahjt

Yes, we thought it would be a good thing to release both dumper and controller source codes as well, in order to keep this project transparent and flexible.

But be aware that flashing microcontrollers (and doing anything outside the SD card sandbox - there is a good reason why we keep everything on it so that experimenting with your own builds wont damage anything) might potentially damage your system. You can easily and quickly reformat the SD card but restoring bricked MCUs is a different story, so proceed at your own risk.

Well be releasing the updated firmware with no limit to the amount of homebrew files as well soon.

Thanks for your support and feedback! :-)

Andrew,

Can you confirm if genesis controller support is in the works?

So I had a little bit of one on one time with the Retron77 today. A bunch of homebrews and period releases I was able to get loaded. Pretty much any 4k or 8k game loads flawlessly. I also got Jr Pacman running (16kb). But while booting the actual game carts is one thing, playing them is another story.

I'm just a bit disappointed right now. Paddles are borderline unusable, and so are the joysticks. The Fire button on the joystick does not work at all when you first boot a game. Consumers are not going to bother to go looking online or reflash the firmware for this console and get it working right. They'll probably return these to the store and Hyperkin will eat the loss.

In it's current state, out of the box, I cannot recommend this product. I was gonna do a review video but it kinda went nerd rage instead once I realized I can't actually play any of the games on it.

Video uploading now.

Please note this isn't meant as a serious commentary, but for consumers, first impressions are everything. And my first impression of the Retron77 is not a good one. Usability wise, it is basically in a beta state right now...

You can discuss my video link here:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/280650-retron77-is-completely-broken-out-of-the-box/

Good night...

• Like 2

Err, what? It did for me.

Yes I understand the apparent possible corruption issue... Did not run into it through a lot of cart swaps with the original FW and the updated Stella.

I inserted a whole stack of carts to see what actually booted up, with no controllers attached. Then when I put in the joystick, I noticed the fire button was not working. It's not the one Hyperkin provided with the system, but electrically it's identical to every other standard 2600 joystick, 5 contact switches and a ground.

First game I actually attempted to play was Ms Pacman, followed by Kaboom. Then I tried some other games and noticed I could not pass the title screen, or couldn't fire a weapon in Galaxian or Space Invaders. Presumably once the Fire button glitch occurs, it cannot be fixed without a firmware upgrade.

The damning thing is it's all in software because fire button works in the menu.

Andrew,

Can you confirm if genesis controller support is in the works?

Controller port is really just a USB adapter (Stelladaptor / 2600daptor) rather than a native I/O. Genesis outputs high logic signals on pins 5 and 9, making the controller adapter think paddles are connected when they are not.

The inputs are remapped based on paddles (Analog X/Y axis and two fire buttons) and joystick (digital hat and one button). Stella also tries to simulate paddles using joystick inputs when only a joystick is present. It is not the same experience. Nor is playing Race / Indy500 with a joystick instead of a driving controller (which doesn't seem to work either). When I plugged in a real set of paddles to the Retron to play Kaboom, it seemed to go hard right and hard left with no middle ground in between, so there's a lot of fine tweaking that needs to be done to the inputs to make it respond the way hardware does.

Well be releasing the updated firmware with no limit to the amount of homebrew files as well soon.

If at all possible, I hope you start shipping consoles with the updated firmware soon. The current firmware (out of the box) has some pretty debilitating bugs in it. No disrespect. I want the product to improve and succeed.

• Like 1

Yes, we thought it would be a good thing to release both dumper and controller source codes as well, in order to keep this project transparent and flexible.

But be aware that flashing microcontrollers (and doing anything outside the SD card sandbox - there is a good reason why we keep everything on it so that experimenting with your own builds wont damage anything) might potentially damage your system. You can easily and quickly reformat the SD card but restoring bricked MCUs is a different story, so proceed at your own risk.

Please consider fixing the partition type in the update SD image as I wrote you; as it stands, MacOS cannot read the card.

• Like 3

Damn. I was ready to order when I got the notice they were taking preorders but something was holding me back, I just had an uneasy feeling.

Glad I didn't because it appears that Hyperkin is having the same issues that have plagued them since the Retron 5 release. I really just wanted it because it looked decent and for the "fry" button, but now that I hear Stella can do it I'll just try that out.

Also, I haven't seen one out in the wild but does anyone else feel like the wood-grain color is way off? It looks like a Dorito.

Damn. I was ready to order when I got the notice they were taking preorders but something was holding me back, I just had an uneasy feeling.

Glad I didn't because it appears that Hyperkin is having the same issues that have plagued them since the Retron 5 release. I really just wanted it because it looked decent and for the "fry" button, but now that I hear Stella can do it I'll just try that out.

Also, I haven't seen one out in the wild but does anyone else feel like the wood-grain color is way off? It looks like a Dorito.

I'm glad I wasn't able to preorder one. I was initially pissed it was US only for now but it turns out it's a blessing in disguise. The reviews on this thing seem to range from ok with some problems to a down right hot mess. No way I'm ordering one of these until there's some serious fixes. Kosmic Stardust is right - this thing seems like it's in Beta stage right now.

• Like 3

I don't know...but I got my unit yesterday. I hooked it up and it played flawlessly. Not even a lag. Everything was right on the mark. I was greatly impressed with the picture quality. It looks so crisp and not an ounce of interfierence. Maybe I am an amature or just a casual user, but so far I am quite happy with the whole thing. It's nice to have Atari available now on the family TV.

I don't know...but I got my unit yesterday. I hooked it up and it played flawlessly. Not even a lag. Everything was right on the mark. I was greatly impressed with the picture quality. It looks so crisp and not an ounce of interfierence. Maybe I am an amature or just a casual user, but so far I am quite happy with the whole thing. It's nice to have Atari available now on the family TV.

Were you able to try the paddle games? Did you notice any lag on those?

My brother and I played a few games of Video Olympics and Super Breakout yesterday. We had a blast with Video Olympics even thought the paddles were a little jittery (probably the fault of my paddles). Wanted to play some Warlords but need another set of paddles.

Short answer, didn't notice any lag on the paddles. They behaved fine.

Can anyone compare the Retron 77 with the AtGames Flashback Gold unit (hdmi)? I'd be curious to see which one looks and plays better. I know the flashback doesn't play carts, and you can't play roms, but do the included games look and sound the same/better than the Retron 77? If this years' model of the Flashback supports sd cards and has full compatibility, it might be a better plug and play option than the 77.

• Like 3

My problem with the Flashback systems is the line of site controllers. And for me, there WAS a lag in this system. It seems I have more control over things with the Retron 77 than I did on the flashback system. I have used it a few times, but the sluggishness of the controls, for me anyway, make it a tough system to play on. I am definitely more satisfied with the R77.

Spent rather a lot of time with mine yesterday, some thoughts:

Love the design. Both controller and unit are a slick mashup of classic and modern design. Unit feels like a quality piece of kit, not fragile like my Retron 5.

Joystick insert broke, is fixable with an original joystick insert.

Compatibility is all over the board. Most of the main games work, as stated elsewhere, Parker Brothers games are hit and miss, as is anything over 16k. Homebrew compatibility seems to be around 40-50 percent. For example, Ladybug, Thrust, Gingerbread Man and Starfire work flawlessly, while Juno First, Bosconian and Star Castle do not. Strangely, some larger games do work fine, like Jr Pac, Solaris, and Gravitar.

Most hacks seem to work fine.

Some games work once or twice, and then never again. For example, Haunted Adventure Trilogy worked fine, saved etc... and hasn't worked since that first time.

Overall, this is a really neat unit that feels like it's still in beta. I'm not bothered by this really, though, pretty much expected it. Hyperkin is a small company, and this tends to happen with their stuff. But, like the Retron 5, this will totally be worth owning, particularly with all the firmeware being released, and the transparent dialogue here. My only worry is how all of these bugs will affect public perception of this. Hopefully a lot of this will get fixed soon.

• Like 5

So I had a little bit of one on one time with the Retron77 today. A bunch of homebrews and period releases I was able to get loaded. Pretty much any 4k or 8k game loads flawlessly. I also got Jr Pacman running (16kb). But while booting the actual game carts is one thing, playing them is another story.

I'm just a bit disappointed right now. Paddles are borderline unusable, and so are the joysticks. The Fire button on the joystick does not work at all when you first boot a game. Consumers are not going to bother to go looking online or reflash the firmware for this console and get it working right. They'll probably return these to the store and Hyperkin will eat the loss.

In it's current state, out of the box, I cannot recommend this product. I was gonna do a review video but it kinda went nerd rage instead once I realized I can't actually play any of the games on it.

Please note this isn't meant as a serious commentary, but for consumers, first impressions are everything. And my first impression of the Retron77 is not a good one. Usability wise, it is basically in a beta state right now...

Good night...

From the collective response, it could be a quality control issue, like a lot of the cheap third party retro clones, where, for the same product, some work flawlessly, some are a little glitchy and some are garbage.

Please note this isn't meant as a serious commentary, but for consumers, first impressions are everything. And my first impression of the Retron77 is not a good one. Usability wise, it is basically in a beta state right now....

I'm going to quote myself here from the other thread as I quite disagree (re: 'completely broken out of the box') . Also if it's not meant as serious commentary yet you realize that 'first impressions are everything' - you must realize that making a video that might give others their first impression...

I've tried to replicate the reported fire button issue by swapping lots of carts (hot and cold) without a controller plugged in and have not been able to replicate it.

Given the known limitations going in (homebrew specifically) and with the 'newer old' version of Stella on the device - I have to say I'm fairly satisfied with the Retron 77 as a package overall given its intent and stated scope. Are there things that could be improved - sure, and I hope they are.

I'm going to have to say that 'completely broken out of the box' most certainly does not describe the current state and seems at the very least hyperbolic and at worst disingenuous...

Spent rather a lot of time with mine yesterday, some thoughts:

Love the design. Both controller and unit are a slick mashup of classic and modern design. Unit feels like a quality piece of kit, not fragile like my Retron 5. [...]

Overall, this is a really neat unit that feels like it's still in beta. I'm not bothered by this really, though, pretty much expected it. Hyperkin is a small company, and this tends to happen with their stuff. But, like the Retron 5, this will totally be worth owning, particularly with all the firmeware being released, and the transparent dialogue here. My only worry is how all of these bugs will affect public perception of this. Hopefully a lot of this will get fixed soon.

I agree with you, and I'm afraid that stuff like the above ^ is not going to help here...

• Like 1

My problem with the Flashback systems is the line of site controllers. And for me, there WAS a lag in this system. It seems I have more control over things with the Retron 77 than I did on the flashback system. I have used it a few times, but the sluggishness of the controls, for me anyway, make it a tough system to play on. I am definitely more satisfied with the R77.

The Flashback 8 controls do not use a line of sight technology. They are truly wireless now. There was lag on the paddles only, but the joysticks work great. You can also plug in your old joysticks and those work as well.

Are the joystick ports a bit loose for you too? If I slightly pull the console with the joystick, it will immediately get out of the port.

I have noticed that they are definitely not as snug as other systems, but the two original Atari sticks I've plugged in still require some effort to remove and will not just fall out. I plugged in a set of paddles with a loose connector and they will just pull out, but they are loose to begin with.

I have found that the plug on my original CX-40 joystick has wider pins than the ones that came with my Flashback 2. They are so tight that I wince every time I insert one of the FB2s into my 2600jr. If other people use joysticks that were released contemporaneously with the 2600, they might be so loose in the port that they might not be making consistent contact.

Ok, I know a lot of games will be sorted out eventually, but some games concern me because the screen never even goes black when they are inserted.

Is there a reason why the Retron77 wont even try to read Chetiry, Berzerk VE, or certain old text label games? Are the pcbs configured in such a way that the system cant tell theyre inserted? Or is there another reason the system just ignores them rather than going blank screen because it cant run it? Im sure Slot Machine would run if I put it on the sd, but the machine pretends the cart isnt there.