IGNORED

RetroN 77

jeremiahjt

I have some good news. With more and more developers reaching out to us with their homebrew titles, the number of games that we hope to include in the next batch of our systems is getting close to where the strict limitation doesnt make a lot of sense anymore, and well release an SD card image that takes care or that. We are actively listening to your opinions and wish to make it a better product.

For the 1st batch of systems, youll simply need to update the files on your SD card to take advantage of that feature.

Have they released the image with the limitation removed? The one on the r77 web page appears to be the original image.

I just finished testing 127 atari carts. 123 worked and 4 did not for a 96% working. I would attach a list but I don't see an option for that. if you are interested in the list, please let me know how to attach it to a post and I will.

The forum will let you attach zip files.

So, I went into games folder and created a new folder called rip. I put frogger.bin in the new folder and booted it. I then see a 128 in 1 rom. Click that I get a screen playing a tune but no matter the number I use that is all I get. Did Hyperkin use this as a way around their menu file limit? Or is this something in Stella?

post-37734-0-11300100-1531690753_thumb.jpg

post-37734-0-74448900-1531690827_thumb.jpg

Edited by SIO2

Whatever I stick in my folder inside of games folder named something like 001.BIN will run but if I put multiple .BIN files in the folder it only runs one of them.

I ran the 32-in-1 cart by renaming the .a26 file to .BIN and it runs but there is no way to switch games since Retron 77 has no keyboard.

Just tinkering around.

Edited by SIO2

Hi everyone, here is the updated firmware that removes the limit of 18 homebrews per one SD card:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xb6Qo1785LWHtRgE9tNF41qqohqxGGoR/view?usp=sharing

Also, here's the source code:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1f50StOOvr1M2F9x4G_L0qG-zipIkA6hB/view?usp=sharing

This version also includes new games. I've submitted this all to our webpage support team, so they'll likely put everything up tomorrow (U.S. Monday), with proper credit given to all the developers.

Stephena's build is not yet implemented in that version (I'll contact him right away to confirm a few technical and legal details). Again, thank you all for your support!

The updated "Mammoth" controller is almost ready, and I'm quite happy with our sample's performance.

• Like 24

Agree on Crazy Timing - been learning some linux all day - got a Debian Virtual machine setup, figured out how to change a few settings and recompile but have had a hard time getting Stella 3.9.3 to compile correctly; I finally got as far as getting a full compile but something I did must have broken the fire button as in the build I made, the fire button worked in the Hyperkin UI, but not in the launched game.

Did that new .img actually work for anyone? I tried putting it on a 512mb card and it said the result was 80mb. Looks like the files are there from windows but when I put it in my retron 77 it won't boot. Scared to try writing to my original 128mb card.

Hi everyone, here is the updated firmware that removes the limit of 18 homebrews per one SD card:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xb6Qo1785LWHtRgE9tNF41qqohqxGGoR/view?usp=sharing

Also, here's the source code:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1f50StOOvr1M2F9x4G_L0qG-zipIkA6hB/view?usp=sharing

This version also includes new games. I've submitted this all to our webpage support team, so they'll likely put everything up tomorrow (U.S. Monday), with proper credit given to all the developers.

Stephena's build is not yet implemented in that version (I'll contact him right away to confirm a few technical and legal details). Again, thank you all for your support!

The updated "Mammoth" controller is almost ready, and I'm quite happy with our sample's performance.

Thanks for the update and can confirm that it does indeed work.

• Like 1

I can confirm this works great. I have about 5 pages or so of ROM files now.

For those having issues (and using Windows), this is what i did:

1. Download an unzip the .img file above.

2. I use etcher from https://etcher.io/

3. Install etcher, run it, and select the.img file you downloaded for the first option.

4. Connect the Retron 77 SD card to your card reader, and select as the second option

5. Burn the file to your SD card. If all went well, you should get a confirmation notice

6. Copy your desired ROM files over to the 'Games' folder on the SD card

7. Play Atari. Note that there are no page transition animations. It works, but the UI is still basic. This will allow you to play 99% of the games the current Retron 77 cart dumper will not read.

• Like 5

I don't want complain too much. I can play the old games that i had duffel-bag for like 20 years. But i got my HDTV before Overscan became a standard. So there this boarder around the screen when you play the game. I hope in the Future they give a option to turn the Overscan off. Even if its just in a Text file.

Well, I got the image to work with the rom limit lifted but only on the original card. If I use my other SD card all I get is black screen with no signal. So, retron 77 doesn't like my 512mb SD card or there is something unusual about the included 128mb SD card.

The other thing is, it is back to not remembering my 4:3 setting. Andrew says Stephena's build is not included so, I guess I am back to corrupted stella config file.

Not sure how John apparently got his working with the newer Stella. When I tried to do that it reverted back to the 18 game limit.

Perhaps they will soon post a complete image with all the fixes included.

Edited by SIO2
  • Like 1

Well, I got the image to work with the rom limit lifted but only on the original card. If I use my other SD card all I get is black screen with no signal. So, retron 77 doesn't like my 512mb SD card or there is something unusual about the included 128mb SD card.

The other thing is, it is back to not remembering my 4:3 setting. Andrew says Stephena's build is not included so, I guess I am back to corrupted stella config file.

Not sure how John apparently got his working with the newer Stella. When I tried to do that it reverted back to the 18 game limit.

Perhaps they will soon post a complete image with all the fixes included.

Something for you to try with your 512MB card: Before you burn the image with etcher, format the card as "FAT" for the file system. The included R77 128MB card is formatted that way.

For those that are interested, for now you can use one or the other of:

• My image containing Stella 3.9.3 and the fire button fix
  • Latest Hyperkin image with no ROM limitations

Both will not work at the same time. I am in the process of getting them to update their source tree to include the latest Stella changes, and then they can recompile and re-release.

This is unfortunately one of the consequences of having multiple different groups working on the same codebase.

• Like 1

Had fun completing Pitfall II for the first time yesterday and beating my old high score by 2,000 points. Looking forward to installing the latest updates.

A couple questions:

1. Do the ROM files have to be just the bin files, or does it work with the zip ones?

2. Does the save state option only work with one game at a time, or does each game you play get one save?

3. Are there any tear down videos? I need to check the cart slot that no longer works for damage and didn't see a way to take it apart, maybe under the leg pads?