IGNORED

RetroN 77

jeremiahjt

attachicon.gifIMG_20180804_201647.jpg

Finally got a label made. I know it is no longer necessary but it is convenient and it feels better having a cart in the console.

We need someone to construct a simple passthrough adapter with the necessary pins bridged. Then it would work with non-standard pcbs which don't jump electrical ground (minus or 0v) to shield ground.
  • Like 2

I'm just guessing, but it could be because Stella by default outputs sound at 31400Hz, which is maybe not a standard sample rate for the capture card. The next major release of Stella will include sound resampling, letting you use either 44.1 or 48 KHz output, which all devices should support.

Not that this will help you right now on the R77, of course. Yet another reason to get the latest version of Stella on this device :)

I would imagine that the Retron is using an hdmi driver with a standard sample rate for output, ie 48khz or 44.1khz, regardless of internal sample rate. Depending on how good the scalar is, there might be off color harmonics involved with sampling, especially if it uses nearest neighbor instead of bilinear.

Someone asked Kevtris in the fpga forum why the super nt cannot be configured to output at 32khz (native snes sample rate) instead if 48khz, and he said some televisions or audio equipment might not like 32khz. And 32000khz is a lot more standard than 31400. In fact due to the Super NT sampling at 48000khz, the audio produced is higher quality that original hardware. Pcm samples were rendered at 32000khz and upsampled, but the midi instruments and mixing are done at 48khz and with less audio filtering, giving a crisper sound

I'm not sure what the internal clock of a TIA is but it's probably in the mhz range and uses a divider to produce audible frequencies. So it could be resampled to match native 48khz output over hdmi, but this would involve rewriting parts of the stella code source. I can see why Stephena is reluctant to rewrite old parts of the codebase.

• Like 1

So it could be resampled to match native 48khz output over hdmi, but this would involve rewriting parts of the stella code source. I can see why Stephena is reluctant to rewrite old parts of the codebase.

Not just reluctant, but nearly impossible at this point. Just in non-sound stuff alone, the differences in Stella 3.x and 5.x are huge. With the next release, we're bumping the number to 6.0, since the changes internally are so great. I suspect the difference between 3.x and the upcoming 6.x is approx. half the code has been rewritten (of a 230,000 LOC codebase).

The sound improvements coming up are huge, and are based on Crispy's analysis done in his FPGA work and creating HDMI output for that device. It includes cycle-exact audio, and resampling to 44100, 48000 or 96000 Hz. And several different sampling algorithms too (include both simple/fast one and a slow/accurate Lanczos-based one).

This will solve all such issues on the R77, once the latest versions of Stella can run there.

• Like 10

So, Retron 77 is over a month old now. Released on the 7th of July (anniversary of ... Roswell NM crash). Possible extra terrestrial involvement? Ancient alien theorists say yup. Before Roswell = no video games. After Roswell = video games (eventually). I think that also explains why there was only one button on the original joystick. You don't want to know what the aliens pressed that button with. :)

• Like 1

So, Retron 77 is over a month old now. Released on the 7th of July (anniversary of ... Roswell NM crash). Possible extra terrestrial involvement? Ancient alien theorists say yup. Before Roswell = no video games. After Roswell = video games (eventually). I think that also explains why there was only one button on the original joystick. You don't want to know what the aliens pressed that button with. :)

I like this theory haha. I'm enjoying the Retron 77 immensely, and I'm glad to see that the community is working towards making it a better, more compatible, product!

• Like 2

And hyperkin themselves! I hope that they are not done with updates.

I doubt they are. I have a good friend who is a fairly well known Youtube personality that beta tests for them. They are very small, and their communication is... poor. But they will generally push out (generally with no warning) a couple of updates to most of their products.

• Like 1

I doubt they are. I have a good friend who is a fairly well known Youtube personality that beta tests for them. They are very small, and their communication is... poor. But they will generally push out (generally with no warning) a couple of updates to most of their products.

That would be great. I think that an updated Stella for the new batch would work wonders.

• Like 2

I've been having so much trouble with Activision games on my Retron 77, like many others. My Kaboom! isn't playing nice which is a mega bummer.

I cleaned this thing probably TOO much, and it's still not working.

Are there techniques for getting the pins to "bite" tighter? I suspect the board thinness is to blame. Is anyone doing anything extreme like flowing solder onto the board connectors or anything else to try to expand the thickness? That seems like it wouldn't work well, but it's a thought.

Wondering if anyone has found some reliable technique. I have been reading so many posts about Activision games and most of them just recommend cleaning and sometimes using abrasives to a lesser degree.

I've been having so much trouble with Activision games on my Retron 77, like many others. My Kaboom! isn't playing nice which is a mega bummer.

Are there techniques for getting the pins to "bite" tighter? I suspect the board thinness is to blame. Is anyone doing anything extreme like flowing solder onto the board connectors or anything else to try to expand the thickness? That seems like it wouldn't work well, but it's a thought.

Wondering if anyone has found some reliable technique. I have been reading so many posts about Activision games and most of them just recommend cleaning and sometimes using abrasives to a lesser degree.

I would recommend one of these to solve all your Retron 77 issues

self-feeding+wood+chipper+21.0+electric+

• Like 3

Yeah, don't over clean it. If the contacts are shine reasonably well, that is all you can do. If you over did it or just want to rebuild the cart - I found the PCB offered by 8bitclassics.com to be thicker than normal.

Also, you could make an empty kaboom cart and stick it in the Retron 77 while you run the rom.

Don't go the wood chipper route, you don't want to dull your blades. :) Just kidding

Edited by SIO2

For some of the difficult cases some folks report success with partially inserting the carts. Otherwise just go load the Community Build and load the rom from microSD :)

• Like 1

https://hyperkinlab.com/retron-77-hd-gaming-console-for-2600-hyperkin/

OUT OF STOCK!

If you waited too long.... there is always this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hyperkin-Retron-77/302848950406?hash=item4683344086:g:9M0AAOSwwpZbd1FQ

Not my auction by the way. Back off haters! Just back off! :)

Honestly, I use my Retron 77 much more than I ever expected.

Edited by SIO2
  • Like 2