IGNORED

RetroN 77

jeremiahjt

I doubt that I have a warranty here in Europe but I'll ask them.

If I fix it i think it won't be long until it happens again. Are there any Atari cartridge passthroughs? E.g. a cart that has a socket on top? If not then I'll probably try to make one just to never use this f****** socket again.

Was just about to write a glowing review....

I looked inside and it seems that 3 pins are bent? Or should it be that way. I'd like a confirmation about whether or not those 3 should be there before I start poking the slot.

Damn, that's not cool :/

Anything special about any of the carts you were swapping in and out, PCB wise?

My guess is high profile youtubers such as yourself and MJR were used by Hyperkin to help get the word out and sell these thing quick to an unsuspecting public. Even though your reviews were even handed they definitely helped push some to buy these the day they were released. Hell I would have if they weren't US only. This is one time I'm glad being Canadian prevented me from buying something.

I would suspect the same thing. It's easy to get reviewers going on some new product. It means hits on their channel. And companies get visibility. All powered by the hype of the unsuspecting public.

I'm happy I continue to stick with waiting for a product to be crowdtested - because that is how things operate today. Marketing get so far ahead of itself that it directly affects product quality. People fall for it. And you have incomplete products coming out left and right.

As a side note, the usual defense is that if you don't have crowdtesting, you'll never get a product out the door. This being said by both developers and users alike. Bullcrap. They achieved 100% compatibility back in the day.. with more crude hardware, more crude techniques, everything was more primitive back then. And they did it!

• Like 2

If the machine is open, accessing those pins should be easier and you can bend them back easier.

Have you actually seen the design on the cartridge connector? Does opening the unit allow removal of the shroud and complete access to the pins top to bottom?

Once a pin is bent and folded at the bottom it's rarely the same again. Replacement of the connector is best. Or, these days, entire unit.

Have you actually seen the design on the cartridge connector? Does opening the unit allow removal of the shroud and complete access to the pins top to bottom?

Once a pin is bent and folded at the bottom it's rarely the same again. Replacement of the connector is best. Or, these days, entire unit.

Do you know where I can get these connectors?

At least they're screwed in. Sony used to just glue metal weights to the inside of their stuff. Couldn't believe it the first time I discovered that. "Weight" = "Quality".

It's things like this that reviewers don't mention. So. That tells me the rest of the unit is cheap and they need to add this weight to make it look like a quality product. It seems like "just enough" to make it seem quality. It would be more impressive and correct to use significant weight to allow the unit to stay stationary while handling carts, controls, and cables. Like a real heavy-sixer, not this junk.

• Like 1

Do you know where I can get these connectors?

I just cannibalize other products when I need a custom connector. Get the part and toss the rest. So sorry can't help you there.

There are people that do VCS repairs, maybe they can guide you. But. Why not just make a warranty claim?

• Like 1

Do you have more pictures of the inside? I wouldn't mind seeing them..... oh never mind found Stephen Anthony's breakdown on github

I usually don't care about attribution, but as you are adding labels... that breakdown is actually my work (and the pictures were taken on my table :P) . The second part ("The future") was written by Stephen.

Edited by DirtyHairy
  • Like 2

My r77 doesn't seem to want to read carts all of a sudden... I was testing my library and put in about 40 carts in one hour. Now they all give weird noises and don't work, even the ones that did work a moment ago.

I looked inside and it seems that 3 pins are bent? Or should it be that way. I'd like a confirmation about whether or not those 3 should be there before I start poking the slot.

This is exactly what I expect from Hyperkin products. Out of the box and into the trash in just a few short weeks.

• Like 2

Haha... well... sorry to hear all this.

I've enjoyed my r77 and currently working on improving Miner 2049er after playing it for the first time on the r77. The game save is a nice touch, the HDMI is wonderful, and I liked the look of the system.

But like the Flashback controllers and this one, I think I might have started to break my joystick with just a few weeks of play.

Then again I've broken many joysticks from casual play in my time. Wish they would make the sticks out of industry grade plastic or something.

Wonder if anyone 3D prints tough grade sticks?

This is exactly what I expect from Hyperkin products. Out of the box and into the trash in just a few short weeks.

True enough. While I could never have guessed the lineup of problems the Retron77 is currently exhibiting in it's pre-release stage, I knew there would be some. Just not of this magnitude.

It still bothers me (in a exasperated small kind of way) that people find its 60%'ish compatibility rate totally acceptable and defend it by saying it wasn't meant to be a VCS replacement. Then what is it? A way to play some cartridges, but not all. Might as well stick with emulators then! You get +90% compatibility for free, along with the ongoing chance to increase that further.

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 1

I doubt that I have a warranty here in Europe but I'll ask them.

If I fix it i think it won't be long until it happens again. Are there any Atari cartridge passthroughs?

True enough. While I could never have guessed the lineup of problems the Retron77 is currently exhibiting in it's pre-release stage, I knew there would be some. Just not of this magnitude.

It still bothers me (in a exasperated small kind of way) that people find its 60%'ish compatibility rate totally acceptable and defend it by saying it wasn't meant to be a VCS replacement. Then what is it? A way to play some cartridges, but not all. Might as well stick with emulators then! You get +90% compatibility for free, along with the ongoing chance to increase that further.

Is there a compatibility list for the Retron 77 like we had for the Atari Flashback Portable?

What I DO like about the Retron 77 is...

1) Hardware that can be reprogrammed (Linux based?)

2) HDMI support

3) Cartridge slot (though cheap and must be used sparingly apparently)

4) Joystick ports.

That is all not bad for the price. And again, the reprogrammable aspect of this cheap hardware. Has anyone looked into if this hardware has the basics for 7800 emulation?

How about the pin-out for Arcadia 2001? :P