IGNORED

RetroN 77

jeremiahjt

Also, do you think there will be any way to attach standard Bluetooth digital gamepads to this?

Technically, yes, practically, no :) Hypothetically, you could connect a bluetooth dongle and try to get the linux bluetooth stack running, but that's a lot of work, and you'd also need a GUI for pairing. However, what should definitely work is connecting run-of-the mill USB gamepads, including wireless ones (the kind that comes with a USB RF receiver).

• Like 2

For a complicated(and expensive if you don't have some of the parts already) solution, you could use an 8BitDo NES bluetooth receiver plugged into a NES to db9 adapter plugged into a 2600-daptor D9. That should work.

Or, in place of the NES, I guess the D9 also supports Sega Genesis, so you could use an 8BitDo Genesis receiver instead.

Edited by fluxit

• 2 weeks later...

Ah-hah. I tried all combinations of Ctrl, Alt, Shift, Space, and Tab, and every other single key on the keyboard, but not that. icon_mrgreen.gif

With Thomas' and your hints, Trak-ball games are now working as well as paddle games. I'm now loving the Retron 77- 'modern' Atari gaming goodness.

Thank you both, and to all other contributors, including StephenA, of course .

Are the 10 'new' Trak-ball games configured in this new test image to work with Trak-ball or does one need to go into Stella to configure those too?

Trackballs are supported, but probably not configured for the ROMs you tested. IIRC with a Stella.pro file you should be able to fix that.

Sorry, but for those not familiar with tinkering with Stella, what is "...IIRC with a Stella.pro file..."?

Sorry, but for those not familiar with tinkering with Stella, what is "...IIRC with a Stella.pro file..."?

For manually modifying the file, have a look into Stella's User's Guide, especially chapter Game Properties.

Alternatively you can run the trackball games with Stella on your computer. If you then adjust the controller type, the Stella.pro file will be updated. This file can then be used on your RetroN 77 too.

• Like 1

To those that are capturing gameplay footage, have any of you had issues with capture cards not detecting sound from the Retron77? I can get an image but zero sound. I've tried different HDMI cables as well as running it through my upscaler which I figured would fix the issue, but still no dice. No other systems I have are doing this so it seems to be R77 specific. Sound is detected when it goes straight into a monitor, but that doesn't help much when I want to capture or stream. I'm at 3.9.3 but haven't tried the community build yet. I am using an internal Elgato Game Capture HD60 but am curious if folks with other cards have had trouble.

Been reading this forum for years and I finally decided to join because of this comment. Has this been fixed yet? I really want to stream Atari! I ended up doing a live stream on FB and just did it with no sound other than my voice. Full disclosure: I have an older elgato external card and I am forced to use an earlier version of the software since it doesn't get along with more recent elgato streaming software versions (sadly the card is no longer supported). I installed the community build and was instantly elated with what everyone has done. Before the Retron 77 I was simply streaming Atari with my web cam. I once tried to stream my AV modded Atari Jr. with an HDMI upscaler but as you can imagine as soon as you turn the console off that cuts the signal and the elgato goes dead. No more live stream and your audience wonders why they bother. The Retron 77 gets around that problem AND I can use legit carts for my live streams! I'm hoping someone is still working on a fix (I imagine a more recent version of Stella would solve all of the issues everyone is having). Have you had any more success trying to stream the Retron? Let me know as I am very interested. If I can get this thing up and running on Twitch and FB I imagine that it will become a nightly ritual that I very much look forward to being able to do.

• 2 weeks later...

52998010_2102894513078967_67597292018818

This weekend they also went to a retro game expo and did not even show the R77 on their banner as far as I can see, so I think that they dropped the console like the retron 5.

I've asked Hyperkin multiple times about them updating their software, they usually ignore the question but answered once asking what games don't work exactly. I gave them a list of 50+ and again no reply.

I personally lost hope in them fixing anything, so I really hope that the community can update it to a better stella. Ofc the down side is that many carts will never be readable. I really hate the shoddy work that they do and the lack of support. -.-

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

That is why I bought a atari 2600 jr. Can't believe those things still work after almost 40 years. To top it all off got me an old crt tv and some slim jims. The complete retro look.

I was surprised at how nice the RF Channel 3 output was on the Atari Jr.

Schematics show that they put back a chip (4050) used for the video, that they removed after the original Heavy Sixer 1977 1978 (which are said to have nice RF output).

Bonjour
je suis Français
Je viens d'acquérir un rétron 77,
et je ne peux pas mettre plus de jeux que sur le tableau de bord
Quelqu'un pourrait-il m'éclairer s'il vous plaît?!
Je vous remercie

Hi,

My french is not good at all unfortunately.

You need to flash this to your sdcard: https://atariage.com/forums/topic/281462-retron-77-community-build-image/

or this: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/281462-retron-77-community-build-image/page-9?do=findComment&comment=4207318

A new version of Stella is coming to the Retron 77 without the limitations of the current version soon.

• Like 1

Hello, thank you for answering me !!
is it possible for me to explain the procedure step by step,
and I have a question ..
could I put a bigger memory card in quantity
thank you so much

• Click the 2nd link Fluxit posted above. Then download the file that's linked in there (sdcard.remo.2019....)
  • Unzip it
  • Click the 1st link Fluxit posted above. That first post has instructions, but you can scroll down a few posts and see an embedded video on what to do.

That should get you through it. You're basically burning an image to a microSD card like you would burn an image to a CD or DVD years ago. Then you just copy in the games to the specific folder. I forget exactly off the top of my head, but I think the video goes over that. Then pop it into the Retron77.

In terms of size, maybe someone else can answer as to whether the community build image has a size restriction, but honestly, ALL Atari 2600 games....every one ever made....take up only a few MB. So any size card is going to be wayyyyy overkill for the Retron77. Stick with the cheapest card you can find and you'll be good to go.

• Like 1

106/5000
the retron 77, how much does it accept in capacity to size a memory card please. thank you

You need to provide us with more information so we can help you.

What operating system and version are you using to set up the card, Mac OS, Windows, a flavor of Linux?

What software or commands are you using to copy the image to the card?

It is likely that not all cards will work, but at this point we don't know what you've done, so we can't judge if what is getting in your way is the sdcard itself.

Just got this device. Night Driver seems to play well with the original paddles, but whats wrong with Super Breakout? No inputs are recognized by the retron77. On Circus Atari the paddles begin to jitter. On my original light 6 switcher all seems to be fine with the game cartridges and the paddles. Strange.

What are the files under hyperkin.com/r77 about? Specially controller, dumper and the files right at the beginning of the list? What to do with them?

So far im pleased with the retron77 I have to say. Nice blue light, module slot, hdmi. Nice addition to my fb9 gold also.

The community build will be flashed later....first checking out the device as it is :-)

Edited by Lohe
  • Like 1